Decluttering Everything.. What Do You Keep And What Do You Throw?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

Trade: Renovator
Rewards Points: 42

Decluttering Everything.. What Do You Keep And What Do You Throw?

Last September I started to decorate inside my house... this lead to me throwing tons of crap out.

It's so much better without all that s**t around. So much better!

I'm now doing the same thing with my workshop and back yard.

In the past when people asked me if I wanted this and that I always said yes and as a result I've ended up with some good stuff that I'll probably never get around to using.

Also I became a handyman/renovator/painter over the years and collected all kinds of tools and ladders.

Another thing is my past habit of being a bit slack on putting things away in a place I could find them, then not being able to find them then 'hey why not just buy another one'

So now everything is being sorted out I see I have about 4 times more drop sheets than I need... enough electrical switch and plug face plates and clips to last about 3 lifetimes. Hand planes that I've never used for 25 years and yet brought them all the way from England when I moved here... even more hand planes that an old guy gave me.

Those off cuts of GWS plywood from a job + that shluter strip, a few subway tiles, 2 lengths of 1/2 inch copper pipe and 1.5" copper elbows I've had for 10 years .... with the left overs from jobs it goes on and on, as always something left over from something, and often handy as I own an older home.... but where to put this stuff when space is limited?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,049

Re: Decluttering Everything.. What Do You Keep And What Do You Throw?

If you haven't used a tool in three years and are not likely to this year, there's not a lot of point in keeping it around.

We've all been down the road of stockpiling leftover materials. What's the point, really? The minor profit you make by charging for materials that are already paid for has usually long ago been eaten up by the hassle of storing them (and finding them among the piles when you want them). Get rid of them. Be ruthless.

Now, if I would just take that advice...

Advertisement

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
brickhook (01-03-2018), Bull Trout (10-30-2017), Dirtywhiteboy (10-30-2017), MarkJames (06-20-2017), pinwheel (06-21-2017), SmallTownGuy (06-20-2017), sunkist (06-22-2017), tgeb (06-20-2017), Tom Struble (10-30-2017), Unger.const (06-20-2017), vancouver dave (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I
We've all been down the road of stockpiling leftover materials. What's the point, really? The minor profit you make by charging for materials that are already paid for has usually long ago been eaten up by the hassle of storing them (and finding them among the piles when you want them). ..

Yes... finding them amongst the piles... or even remembering that they're in the piles somewhere.

I'm thinking that it's having good habits that is key.

Not sure what my rule would be though for how to make a quick call on keep or throw. I'll have to chew on that one.

Like socks for example... if they're odd ones or get a hole, then I chuck them in the bin nowadays. Whereas before I'd start some corner of my drawer for odd socks and keep the ones with holes in.

With materials I don't find it as easy. One rule I came up with is do I already have this and how likely am I to use it in the next few years.... sometimes I think that I will.... but then when I need it it's at home and I'm not driving home to get it, so just end up buying another one anyway.

Over the years it really has been a giant pain in the butt, moving stuff from one place to another and sifting and sorting this and that. Particularly when you are an all rounder.

Like the saying goes ' Give a man a thousand shelves and he'll fill them all'

Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 291

want my mailing address?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Rewards Points: 276

I usually clean out my storage area every spring. If it has sat since last Spring when I figured I'd have a use for it, it gets chucked or taken to Habitat restore.

There is something to be said for just getting rid of it all and starting fresh. Client pays for the materials anyways right.. I do keep buckets of mud and primer around to use for the next job, make a bit of profit on the leftovers. But if it doesn't get used within a few months time, it gets chucked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Workingmanvan For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Woodworker Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 11,443

I mostly have this problem with smaller wood scraps and plywood pcs. I have a small storage area for plywood, usually gets cleaned out every 2 years. I'll ask around if people want it, or I'll just chuck it. Smaller wood scraps just get cut up and thrown away. In the winter it gets taken to my landlords shop where he has a wood furnace.

Smaller DIY shops would freak out about what I throw away. I just don't have the room to keep saving it. I have enough piles of wood kicking around waiting for that time it can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,672

Man do I struggle with some of this.....

A customer this winter told me that when they sold the big house and scaled from 3k sq ft to 800 sq ft house. He went into the attic and took everything directly to the back of the truck then right to the dump. Didn't open any boxes......gone what ever it was no matter the value...... brutal.

Couple things that help me are.....

Any high risk of reuse gets kept. Such as primer or pva. Paint stays with customer even white paint.

Anything returnable gets returned. Plywood. Pipe fittings. Switches. (Even if you keep the white switch plate covers. The next job is black or ivory. Then 6mo later when you need white. You only have 3 and need 12 which means your going shopping non the less) your going to spend 7 min trying to find a spot for it in your shop.......you might as well spend 9min in the return desk at the hardware store your going to anyway.

Use the 20/20 rule. If it can be replaced within 20min from your house and costs less they 20 bucks. Then no need to hold on to it.

Set up one wire rack shelves as the storehouse. Most common bulk items go there. Case of paper towels. Case of sealents . Boxes of most uses screws or nails.....boxes of nitrial gloves. Great bulk close out finds (home depot had these little blue pales. Reg like $4 each. Close out .75 each bought two towering stacks of them. Now when I have a hot mud or hydrolic mortar repair. Mix it in a blue pale focus on the troweling. Forget about bucket cleaning throw it away)

My big struggle is valuable tools I don't use. Nice crescent wrenches. Channel locks. Sockets and such. I've got the new better ones now that I use daily. I've donated to crappy ones to habitat. Nice stuff I seem to be holding out on. Last summer before moving I gave the newly wed couple a boatload of tools. Power tools and such. So many things I know the kid had no idea how it worked or what it did. But he got hooked up. I still have a bunch of tools I hate the idea of donating to a thrift shop. Maybe I'll do a garage sale......no don't want to deal with that drama........i will craigslist.....no.....i will ebay it.....i don't have time for that......damn.......just put it back in the pile I'll deal with it later. The pile is big and still in my way a year later...

Last edited by Unger.const; 06-21-2017 at 12:51 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unger.const For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (06-21-2017), Sisyphus (06-25-2017), SmallTownGuy (06-21-2017), vancouver dave (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #8
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 1,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
I mostly have this problem with smaller wood scraps and plywood pcs. I have a small storage area for plywood, usually gets cleaned out every 2 years. I'll ask around if people want it, or I'll just chuck it. Smaller wood scraps just get cut up and thrown away. In the winter it gets taken to my landlords shop where he has a wood furnace.

Smaller DIY shops would freak out about what I throw away. I just don't have the room to keep saving it. I have enough piles of wood kicking around waiting for that time it can be used.
I've got racks & racks full of cutoffs too. Sent a buddy home with a whole truckbed full of shorts a couple years ago. I keep trying to give him more, but he keeps saying

I hate throwing them out, but they're just not worth hanging onto.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
LRG WoodCrafting

The only thing I hate about throwing them out is I have to cut them up to fit in the barrel. A lot of my solid scrap is 16' long.

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #10
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 1,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
The only thing I hate about throwing them out is I have to cut them up to fit in the barrel. A lot of my solid scrap is 16' long.
Being a floor guy, I run a lot of base shoe. My poplar & oak long length scraps, get ripped down to 9/16 x 3/4. When I get enough to justify setting up the moulder with a shoe knife, I send it all through.

If it's not good enough to make moulding, I pack it to the burn pile full length.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
charimon (06-22-2017), Metro M & L (01-02-2018)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,472

I've stored junk for years, finally threw it out, just to need it a week later.
brickhook (01-03-2018), Irishslave (06-22-2017), m2akita (10-31-2017), rustyjames (06-21-2017), Sisyphus (06-25-2017), tgeb (06-21-2017), Unger.const (06-23-2017), Workingmanvan (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
Donut �� enjoyer

Trade: B General Contractor
Rewards Points: 506

I own acreage, it gets thrown somewhere. Is it worth it?, hell yes. Sounds weird being a carpenter and to have my favorite hobby be woodworking ( actually fishing ��) but its true. I have always loved working with wood. I make dog houses at 200 profit. Hell I've turn a 20" 2x4 into 75-100$ turning I into a fancy box, literally 30 min plus dry time. Now is it worth it to keep for a future contract? No the next client will buy there own material. And I will get more ��.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBM For This Useful Post:
twinfallsroof (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 625

I decluttered a few years ago and I don't miss a single thing that I threw out. I like the 20/20 rule mentioned above.

One thing I do that helps is to write the date on anything with a shelf life when I buy it. That way I know when it's too old to trust using it.

I really like it now when I finish a big job and can come home and put my tools away and be ready for the next job without having a big pile of leftover crap that I have to deal with or find a place to store or decide if I should keep or not.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #14

This is how my decluttering has gone so far.

First big one was I got a new van that I can stand up in, just being able to stand up in the back was a huge improvement when it comes to finding things and putting them away at the end of the day.

I decided to fill the tank each time from now on instead of just putting 20 bucks in as I'd done by habit forever. Oh and actually get it serviced regularly

I researched how others had organized their work vans and came up with a plan that would work for me. I took my time and decked it out properly and in a way that was a pleasure to look at and work with.

I chucked out all the crap junk that I'd been carrying around in my old van for years and upgraded a few tools. Gave my nails and screws more respect and a place for them and put them back in that place.

Was a million dollar improvement right there, from the Chevy Astro van that would end up with stuff piled up and buried under other stuff, and nails and screws thrown in with other stuff and stuff I didn't even know was in there...... (actually at tone time there was a rat lived in the pocket where the sliding door bracket slides)

I went to a van I can stand up in, well thought out shelving system, only carrying what I needed, white board I can jot down things to buy, blue tooth phone, back totally enclosed so dust etc doesn't end up in the cab.

Then I had this old utility trailer that I'd had for years, that thing was liability... rickity plywood sides and so rusty it was a nail biter just towing it to the dump. So I got a flat tire in the pouring rain and the tire shop didn't have the wheel size as it was an ancient Home Depot trailer.... So that was that... got rid of that and got a brand new one. So much better! metal floor and sides, tail gate that I can close and know its not held together with bunji chords

Then one day it was raining and my workshop roof was leaking a bit onto some offcuts i had in a corner, so I picked one up and thoughts wtf is this doing here, its wet and moldy and that was that... it was 3 days solid of throwing out the endless crap that I'd put in there. I still can take it further I think.

Then the carport and the kitchen cabinets that someone gave me that took up a ton of room that I might use one day on my house... so I smashed em up and into the new trailer... days of sifting through things and such tedious work...

Now I'm finally done. Van/workshop/carport/back yard all sorted out and decluttered. Like a grand finally of the t.v. show hoarders!

Now I'm focusing on developing better habits, sure as heck aren't going back to my old ways.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vancouver dave For This Useful Post:
Bainbridge (06-21-2017), Bull Trout (06-22-2017), Sisyphus (06-25-2017), steven.rowan (06-22-2017), Unger.const (06-23-2017), Workingmanvan (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 9,896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
So what you are saying is, if one never stores stuff to start with, they will never need the stuff.
B.Johnson (06-21-2017), Unger.const (06-23-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #16
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Being a floor guy, I run a lot of base shoe. My poplar & oak long length scraps, get ripped down to 9/16 x 3/4. When I get enough to justify setting up the moulder with a shoe knife, I send it all through.

If it's not good enough to make moulding, I pack it to the burn pile full length.
I have a molding I save up for. But I need a 1 1/2" drop.

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 412

I came up with a good guide for deciding whether to keep something or not... Would I carry this a mile to bring it home if I found it on the road? Little things tend to make the cut, but it reminds me that some of the big stuff I think I should hang on to isn't really worth the space or effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 3,654

3 year rule if i havent needed it or used it in the last three years its gone, has worked well except i'm on my third wife fixing to move on to the fourth "he he".
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I came up with a good guide for deciding whether to keep something or not... Would I carry this a mile to bring it home if I found it on the road? Little things tend to make the cut, but it reminds me that some of the big stuff I think I should hang on to isn't really worth the space or effort.

That one works for me SPG.

I was saying something similar to a friend when trying to explain my dilemma.

I had them stand there and I gave them a length of copper pipe and said you can have this it's left over from a job, it's worth money... the only condition is that you have to carry it around with you where ever you go.

And here take this 10 foot length of primed 2x10, I had to buy a 16 foot length today just to get the 6 foot that I needed for a job, it's worth about 20 bucks, but the condition is that you need to carry it around with you where ever you go, you might need it in a month or you might need it in 2 years.

Once I'd given my friend about 5 things to carry around she got the idea and said "I can't carry them around forever, but you can just store them in this carport here".

And of course she had a point, but there's a few things to consider when storing them in the carport.

1. is that we live in an urban area and space is very expensive, that material we are storing is taking up space... so everyday it's incurring a small cost, call it a storage fee.

2. is that I can only reasonably store a certain amount of 'stuff' and remember that stuff is there.

Example would be if I have 15 items in there, I can look and see them and I can remember that they are there, but after a point I don't know what is there, how long its been there and what it's storage cost is, don't even remember it's there and then it just becomes clutter.

3. Also it's hard on my head and my eyes to have all that stuff in front of me. It's unsightly, covered in dust and cobwebs and so much calmer if you will, when all that stuff is just gone!

It's a bit like when you hear a guy charge 25 bucks an hour and says he made 25 an hour profit, you say "no you didn't, you had this cost and that cost etc... you made 5 bucks an hour profit"

Same with storing up s**t in my carport.... this pipe cost $5 and I've saved it along with a ton of other stuff for 6 years before I finally used it... therefore I saved/ made that $5 (you think)

But no no you didn't... there was the storage cost, the lost opportunity to use the space for something else cost, the headache and time of moving all the crap around, the neighbours and wife wishing your house didn't look like a dump cost.

You likely made d*ck all on that $5 pipe.

When I know I made d*ck all on that pipe I don't mind not keeping it. When I know my 'I made $5 on it' is just plain incorrect then I don't mind to let it go, it makes good business sense.

So what to do with all the stuff as it comes into my possession?

A few things are

1. as OP posted further up. Leave it with your customer! Just Don't take it home in the van! Even white paint he leaves with the customer.

2. OP posted takes everything he can back to the store. It'll take 7 minutes to find a place to put it and 9 minutes to stand in line to return it. So just return it.

3. If it's decent then Habitat For Humanity.

4. Put in out in the back lane and see if anybody wants it.

5. Just say NO! When people ask me "Dave, do you want this?" Say no unless I have an immediate use for it.

No storing stuff for 'that day when I'll get around to installing it' by the time I've factored in its storage cost and headache/eyesore/pain in the butt cost there is no gain. There is NO gain!

6. After a period of time of not following any of these rules it will be the case that I'll have gathered 'stuff' that is 'good stuff' But no room to store it and too much to remember it's even there. So tough as it is to get rid of it, I have to in order to wind things back to a level where it's not just clutter.
That will mean parting with some 'good stuff' in order to be able to start at the right place.

If I follow these rules and add others as they come to me I think I'll do much better.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vancouver dave For This Useful Post:
SPG (06-22-2017), steven.rowan (06-22-2017)