Customer Threatens You With Gun

Old 10-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Home Remodeling
Rewards Points: 62

Customer Threatens You With Gun

I was building a covered porch for a customer. After we started the porch he asked us to take down the post that go against the home because he didn't like the looks of it. Once the roof went on he questioned how the roof was supported without the posts. UGH. Anyway, we showed them everything was supported. After asking for a draw for the shingles he kept saying "well you got it to a point where I can do the rest myself" I asked three times for the money to buy the shingles. I kept getting excuses. I sent my workers out to put the extra poles (that he didn't want to put on) on my trailer. He came out and stopped them. He said "I wouldn't touch those if I was you, I have a really big gun, don't make me go get it" So my guys called me, told me what was going on. I just said leave it and go. I went to get my trailer, talked to the customer, calmed him down. I didn't show up for a couple of days (because he wouldn't pay me and threatened my guys) He called, very irate, was screaming so loud I couldn't understand him. I tried calming him down but to no avail. He kept saying "you need to meet me somewhere" which again I took as a threat with his tone of voice. I never returned. Now i'm being sued in small claims court for not finishing the job. He is suing me for how much it would be to finish the job. He wants me to pay for the rest of the work, materials and all. He also is complaining because the post (that I had up, he asked me to take down) was not there to support the roof. He is complaining that we cut into the trailer for no reason. UHM yes there was a reason, to support your porch! I guess I should've called the law to have this on record but I didn't. I felt he just wanted to finish the job himself and there wouldn't be no more said about it. Now that he is taking me to court, I'm worried he will deny telling my workers he had a gun in the house and wasn't afraid to use it. My main reason for not going back on the job site, the other factor is that he wouldn't pay me for the shingles. How can I do the job if you won't buy the material? Seriously.
The Following User Says Thank You to RodneyTuttle For This Useful Post:
asgdesign (10-15-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,224

Re: Customer Threatens You With Gun

Holy fvck

Advertisement

Californiadecks (10-15-2017), DaVinciRemodel (10-17-2017), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (10-16-2017), Tom Struble (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 9,784

1. He didn't threaten you with a gun.
2. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess........... there's no contract.
CharlieDelta (10-16-2017), Tech Dawg (10-15-2017)

Old 10-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
New Guy

He didn't have a gun in his hand, but he did say "Don't make me go get my gun" which was insinuated that if they touched the materials to put them on the trailer, they would "make" him go get it.
Yes there is a contract.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 372

Unreal.

No contract either.

Well.....any witnesses that don't work for you?

Take the time to document to the best of your ability to remember the timeline, complete with all interactions regarding the posts, and a draw for shingles, including the clients desire to complete the work himself, plus the implied threat of removing extra materials. You never said if the client paid a deposit for the materials...if he did, then he was in the right by telling your guys to not touch them...if you paid for them and he failed to pay you, lien the property.

Nice long story, but you left out a lot...like were you paid for the work completed?

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 10-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,176

Right out a time line of everything that transpired. When you go to small claims don't try to explain yourself, just give the judge your written statement.

Bring your employees as witnesses if you have to.

I would be very surprised if you lost the case as it is clear you did everything possible to deescalate a violent person including walking away from money, materials, and profit from a deal agreed to but breached by the client.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 10-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
New Guy

Yes there is a signed contract. Yes, he gave us a deposit for the material, which I left on his property when we left there. I did have bags of concrete on my trailer for another job, My workers said he took them off while they was working, One of the workers asked him what he was doing, he said "I'm getting these bags, I paid for them" When I got there I told the guy we had some bags of concrete on my trailer for another job and asked if he knew where they was. He said "oh your guys used them on the post" When I left there, he was paid up for all labor and material. The only thing that was owed was a triple beam he asked us to put in for a swing. Other than that he didn't owe me any more money, and I didn't owe him for any work that he had paid me for. All the money at the end of the job is my profit. I have everything ready for court, receipts, contract, and journal on what happened in those few days we worked there.
The Following User Says Thank You to RodneyTuttle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,753

File a counter suit for the triple beam.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
greg24k (10-15-2017), Krok (11-11-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Pro

I guess it is kind of funny. Had that happened in Oklahoma, on one of my jobs, there would have been a little more excitement. Unless he had a gun in his hand, he would have been in for a surprise....just saying.

Threaten people here, and someone gets hurt 9 out of 10 times.

My Facebook Page
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Jaws (10-15-2017), kixnbux (10-15-2017), TxElectrician (10-20-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
I guess it is kind of funny. Had that happened in Oklahoma, on one of my jobs, there would have been a little more excitement. Unless he had a gun in his hand, he would have been in for a surprise....just saying.

Threaten people here, and someone gets hurt 9 out of 10 times.

Yep. Okie here too, go get your gun. Iíll wait

You wonít like it.

Iíve had tenants threaten to kill me several times. Twice this year. Both credible
The Following User Says Thank You to kixnbux For This Useful Post:
Joasis (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,302

I was helping a friend move over the weekend and we were talking about guns and everyone chimes in that they have theirs with them. This is Texas and a lot of people are armed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72chevy4x4 For This Useful Post:
Jaws (10-15-2017), TxElectrician (10-20-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #12
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 882

Does Occidental make holsters that fit on the rigs?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
72chevy4x4 (10-15-2017), Builders Inc. (11-15-2017), Bull Trout (10-15-2017), DaVinciRemodel (10-17-2017), SectorSecurity (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
New Guy

well funny thing is, My workers carries one everywhere he goes. he was going through a hard time and pawned it two days before this happened.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 2

gunfight at the Corbin Corral..
TimNJ (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyTuttle View Post
When I left there, he was paid up for all labor and material. The only thing that was owed was a triple beam he asked us to put in for a swing. Other than that he didn't owe me any more money, and I didn't owe him for any work that he had paid me for. All the money at the end of the job is my profit.
Here's the good news: The usual measure of damages for breach of contract is the difference between what he would have paid you to complete the job and what he had to pay someone else to do the same job. If you can do so without risk to yourself, take a photo of the area on which you were working to verify if it was finished. If it is finished, you might want to try to find out who finished it and how much he/she charged. If you want to go the extra yard, obtain an estimate from someone else for what he/she would have charged to finish the job. I am always suspicious, so it wouldn't surprise me if your former customer "paid" someone else more to finish the job than you were charging and later splits the difference if your customer wins. Don't be afraid to file a counterclaim for the triple post and the concrete. You might come out ahead.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #16
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,280

Quote:
He didn't have a gun in his hand, but he did say "Don't make me go get my gun" which was insinuated that if they touched the materials to put them on the trailer, they would "make" him go get it.
Yes there is a contract.

Shouldn't be a problem then if you have a contract, if you can prove breach from unsafe working conditions.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 752

Quote:
Yes there is a contract.

"Don't make me go get my gun" could mean if you threaten me I'll go get my gun for self defense. In fact because you are assuming what he meant, it's anything he says it means to a judge. All he has to say is "I'm not responsible for his wrong interpretation."

Mike.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,224

Quote:
well funny thing is, My workers carries one everywhere he goes. he was going through a hard time and pawned it two days before this happened.
Would have made a better story if there was a gun fight.
Californiadecks (10-16-2017), Tech Dawg (10-15-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #19
Pro

If I had a client steal materials from my trailer, then the conversation would have went differently...like I am going to collect for the bags of cement....it was high dollar stuff.

My Facebook Page
Old 10-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #20
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16,626

Messy situation. Open carry is legal here, if I had to go back to the property I would be displaying my .44 magnum. People don't bring up guns as a defense, I would see it as a clear threat. I likely would go back though and would file a countersuit, the judge will probably see him for what he is.

Advertisement