Customer Refusing To Pay - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Customer Refusing To Pay

Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Lawn care and painting

Customer Refusing To Pay

Basically did a job yesterday, replacing drywall in a wall in a closet and one in a ceiling. They where fairly small. The spot in the ceiling required a stipple or star pattern texture match. So she was quoted 275 for the repair sightly high but she agreed to the price.

Trying to keep this long story short but it won't happen. After I completed everything and matched the texture I called her in to take a look she said "I'll think that'll work" but started changing her tune after I told her it wasn't going to be a perfect match due to it being a patch in a small laundry room. She became irate FOR NO REASON refused to let me fix it by retexturing it. Refused to pay the full amount, refused to let me back in her house to get my materials/equipment and called the police FOR NO REASON. I ended having to call my father who contracted the job and he has go go back out their to fix it because she refused to let me back in to finish the job(the spot in the wall had to dried down and sanded so it would be ready for a painter) she went on this ridiculous rant over the phone about how we told her it would be one hundred percent perfect (which just isnt the case with patch work and we did not tell her that).She went on to say "I don't think it's not a good job I just dont want to pay for this" "I'm no contractor, I don't know what goes into this type of work, but this isn't what we discussed etc"

Also think she felt like she thought she did to need to pay for it because it only took me a little under 2 hours to do the job but im a professional im supposed to be able to get the job done quickly if I was a hack it would have taken 6 hours and the job probaly wouldn't even have been done yet.

She told my father if it wasn't perfect he wasnt getting paid
She paid $80 because she "didnt want me to leave without anything" she only wanted to give me $75 but she didnt have change.

What action do I need to take.

I assure the work was quality the only issue she had was the texture which SHE REFUSED to let me fix. And she actually said looked okay.

Im concerned she is trying to pull a fast one which is why she refused to let me finish the remaining work which was just to sand the spot in wall down. I dont eve. Understand why she called the police.

I would have been willing to go down to $200 to $225...but due to her disgusting actions and the fact she think she is running the show im not willing to compromise.

Last edited by Hank hill; 02-15-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,720

Re: Customer Refusing To Pay

Give her 8 days to cool off then ask for the payment again.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-15-2018), rrk (02-15-2018), TNTSERVICES (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
New Guy

But if she isnt paying now what makes you think 8 days is going to fix her?

The lady is full of ****, she said the reason she called me was because the previous guy tried to do the work but she didnt like it either so she fired him and he charged her to remove the drywall. Straight bs because I can look and see it was a plumb job that was done, she swears she didnt have a any plumbing done but what is this
Attached Thumbnails
Customer refusing to pay-img_20180214_132802621_1518701567112.jpg   Customer refusing to pay-img_20180214_131056756_1518701639580.jpg  

Old 02-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,232

If after doing like Big Johnson suggest, she still does not pay, I would walk away. I know a guy hates losing money. To me it really would not be worth the headache and time wasted to collect it.
Deals like that I always tell them up front that it may not match perfect , but will try to get it as close as can.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 132

This is why my contact says drywall and paint patching will not be a perfect match.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (02-15-2018), greg24k (02-15-2018), kirkdc (02-15-2018), Randy Bush (02-15-2018), Rio (02-18-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
This is why my contact says drywall and paint patching will not be a perfect match.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
are you joking?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank hill View Post
But if she isnt paying now what makes you think 8 days is going to fix her?

The lady is full of ****, she said the reason she called me was because the previous guy tried to do the work but she didnt like it either so she fired him and he charged her to remove the drywall. Straight bs because I can look and see it was a plumb job that was done, she swears she didnt have a any plumbing done but what is this
Is that you Add em?

8 days gets her past that time of month.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-15-2018), Frank Castle (02-15-2018), Jaws (02-15-2018), kirkdc (02-15-2018), tang (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,232

Quote:
are you joking?
I am sure he is not. a patch is just that a patch job, sometimes it is hard to get the paint just right because of age, and getting the texture can be a real pain as you have found out. That is why you don't tell them it will be perfect unless you are 100% it will be, if they don't like that let them find someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Quote:
are you joking?
I am sure he is not. a patch is just that a patch job, sometimes it is hard to get the paint just right because of age, and getting the texture can be a real pain as you have found out. That is why you don't tell them it will be perfect unless you are 100% it will be, if they don't like that let them find someone else.
She claims my father told her it would be perfect 100? he says he didn't tell her that he has been doing this for 40 years so I take his word over hers. I explained that too her, and the only someone could tell it was a patch is if they looked and stared at the ceiling forever looking for something to be off.

I mean she still owes $195, I'd like to get the rest of that. Are you saying just walk away with $80 and say forget it?

Also I told her if she painted it, it would blend better. But painting wasn't In the contract so it's not even an issue, her issue was just the texture and I offered several times to fix it and she said at one point "I dont think theres anything that can be done to it" almost like she didnt want it corrected but wanted to have something to be pissed about, I mean the woman called the police for Christ sake. She even said it looked okay "until I said I got close to the texture as I possibly could, it wasn't going to be a perfect match." Then all of a sudden she got a PhD in home inspection while at the same time saying "I'm not contractor I have no idea what goes Into this etc" The woman must have been upset because she didnt have a valentine. I think she really lost it when I told her to be quiet (she was talking over me while I was trying to explain the situation over the phone to my father) my exact words were "ma'm" while putting the phone to my chest to show her that she was being disrespectful.

I even asked her why she was upset and she said wasnt.

Last edited by Hank hill; 02-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,462

Quote:
are you joking?
Why would he be joking especially on a texture job?...

Without that stipulation in writing and her agreeing to it, you're left in the position you are in...

If you don't have pics to back up your claim (if you do, post 'em), you've already received $80, and were willing to go to $200, so it's really the $120 left that you have to decide if it's worth your time to chase... considering based on your numbers, you charged $75-$100 / hour (depending on how you calculate it), is your time better spent chasing the $120 or getting more business?... only you can answer that...

She's already forecast ahead and told you she doesn't want to pay, and you're playing right into her hands by lowering what you would charge her to $200... in her mind, it's worth $80, which is what she paid you (she could have given you a check for the $75)...

Personally, if you are going to spend any more time on this, and you have pics to back up your claim, I'd simply let her know her options... Either she pays what is owed or she can explain to a judge in small claims court why she refused to let you finish the work and do it in writing with a date on it of when you'll commence proceeding if you do not receive payment...

But it's $120 based on what you said you'd be willing to give up... I'd just consider it tuition in the School of Hard Knocks we've all attended and move on...

Last edited by KAP; 02-15-2018 at 09:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (02-20-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

The magic contract covers your butt.

I always put in my contracts that if wall texture doesn't match and/or HO is unhappy with it, the entire wall or room will have to be done (and pricing will change)

Simple.

I can't belieive how many guys do work with no contracts. You're just asking to get burned.

Post some after photos. Get some honest feedback. Maybe she has a legit bi tch. Or maybe not.

Last edited by kirkdc; 02-15-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Quote:
are you joking?
Why would he be joking especially on a texture job?...

Without that stipulation in writing and her agreeing to it, you're left in the position you are in...

If you don't have pics to back up your claim (if you do, post 'em), you've already received $80, and were willing to go to $200, so it's really the $120 left that you have to decide if it's worth your time to chase... considering based on your numbers, you charged $75-$100 (depending on how you calculate it), is your time better spent chasing the $120 or getting more business?... only you can answer that...

She's already forecast ahead and told you she doesn't want to pay, and you're playing right into her hands by lowering what you would charge her to $200... in her mind, it's worth $80, which is what she paid you (she could have given you a check)...

Personally, if you are going to spend any more time on this, and you have pics to back up your claim, I'd simply let her know her options... Either she pays what is owed or she can explain to a judge in small claims court why she refused to let you finish the work and do it in writing with a date on it of when you'll commence proceeding if you do not receive payment...

But it's $120 based on what you said you'd be willing to give up... I'd just consider it tuition in the School of Hard Knocks we've all attended and move on...
IM NOT WILLING TO GO DOWN ON ANYTHING.

I said it could have been done for $200 I never told her to give me $200 she agreed to $275 so I feel she needs to pay that.The deal was contracted through text message by my father I couldn't get pictures of the texture
because she told me not go back in her house because she didnt feel comfortable with me in there anymore (like seriously)I got pictures of everything else, I feel as though she thinks because i did it so quickly and I'm young she feels I should be ok with doing the work for less since i guess most people my age are slaving all week for $275. Its the principal I would not have did that patch job for $80 i would have said screw it and YOU NEVER let someone tell you what they are going to pay you.

Last edited by Hank hill; 02-15-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,516

I wouldn't touch that repair for less than $800 in the closet and $1200 in the open room.
avenge (02-16-2018), Deckhead (02-16-2018), jproffer (02-18-2018), TNTSERVICES (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #14

Trade: Remodeling, precision carpentry, custom cabinets
Rewards Points: 20

Contracts on anything more than replacing a door knob. Deposits for any out of pocket materials. Specifics about what they can expect the results will be. Without exception.

That said, $275 isn't worth fighting over. The costs of filing a lien or taking her to court far exceed anything you'll be likely to recover. This should also be a lesson on the concept of underpromise and overdeliver.

Last edited by Pinewood C&C; 02-15-2018 at 10:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinewood C&C For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (02-16-2018), KAP (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

Yeah, dirt cheap job. 200-300 beans wouldn't be worth my time or efforts. And when an HO complains about other contractors thats often a red flag she most likely won't like your work either.

Last edited by kirkdc; 02-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #16
New Guy

Dont have any of the texture because the woman (if we can call her that) refused to let me back in the house. Also if she did have a legitimate gripe calling the police on me and refusing to let me get my stuff out of her house is still out of line. Im telling you it wasn't that serious another woman who I guess lived there even said the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Customer refusing to pay-img_20180214_132802621_1518705727885.jpg   Customer refusing to pay-img_20180214_143316629_1518706111695.jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
I wouldn't touch that repair for less than $800 in the closet and $1200 in the open room.
EXACTLY SHE WAS GETTING A DEAL STILL.

Everyone wants you to work for crackhead prices or be a craigslist contractor.

Last edited by Hank hill; 02-15-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
IM NOT WILLING TO GO DOWN ON ANYTHING.

I said it could have been done for $200 I never told her to give me $200 she agreed to $275 so I feel she needs to pay that.
Sorry, was only going by what you yourself posted which seems to argue quite convincingly that that you were...
Quote:
I would have been willing to go down to $200 to $225...but due to her disgusting actions and the fact she think she is running the show im not willing to compromise.
IOW, you devalued your own work in your mind by willing to take less than agreed (why?)... mistake number two... mistake number one, that hopefully you're learning, is that having a contract and pics are what protect you...

Not best intentions or hoping...

Quote:
The deal was contracted through text message by my father I couldn't get pictures of the texture
because she told me not go back in her house because she didnt feel comfortable with me in there anymore (like seriously)I got pictures of everything else, I feel as though she thinks because i did it so quickly and I'm young (21) she feels I should be ok with doing the work for less since i guess most people my age are slaving all week for $275.
If it was contracted by your father, it's in his hands to collect, not yours...

Quote:
Its the principal I would not have did that patch job for $80 i would have said screw it and YOU NEVER let someone tell you what they are going to pay you.
You just did because you're not prepared to execute the work or it wasn't done in a way to protect your interests... hopefully a learning experience going forward...

If you can't tell yet, we've all been there which is why we're providing this feedback... you'll either learn from it, or repeat the same mistakes until you do...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (02-20-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #19
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,490

Quote:
She even said it looked okay "until I said I got close to the texture as I possibly could, it wasn't going to be a perfect match." Then all of a sudden she got a PhD in home inspection
Sometimes you have to know when to stop talking. You brought this on yourself. When she said it looked OK, you should have "yes it does, it's perfect."

www.gebcon.com
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-15-2018), Deckhead (02-16-2018), Frank Castle (02-15-2018), mrcat (02-15-2018), pinwheel (02-22-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
EXACTLY SHE WAS GETTING A DEAL STILL.

Everyone wants you to work for crackhead prices or be a craigslist contractor if your young.
Let's keep it a little real here... She's not the one who gave the price of $275... your Dad, with 40 years experience did for whatever reason... if you don't want to work for "crackhead prices" perhaps you should consider charging more...

Advertisement