Crazy, Funny Stories

Old 10-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #1
Flooring Guru

Trade: Sales Manager
Rewards Points: 2,000
Talking

Crazy, Funny Stories

I love hearing from other people about crazy, funny stories that they have regarding customers.
whether it is wierd things you have encountered while going out to measure for an estimate, or wierd things people have asked for during an estimate, or just palin wierd customers!
Please change the names to protect the innocent or not so innocent.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk

Re: Crazy, Funny Stories

LOL, Good Idea!

I’m not sure this one is funny or crazy but…

We were painting a big house in Downtown DC one summer and the old couple that lived there wouldn’t let us in their house to use the rest room. Finally after doing a little dance on their front porch they unlocked their basement and told us to go down there.
When we get down in the basement we discover a beautiful Mahogany paneled basement that was getting ruined because the windows were leaking badly.
One of the walls had 2 framed letters on it. One was a letter written by Lord Fairfax and the other was a 2 page letter by ABRAHAM LINCOLN!

The letters were getting ruined by the moisture.

Trying to be the helpful painters that we are we recommended they get the windows replace. They said “no your trying to take us!”.
Then we said we could paint the worst windows shut so it would stop the leak and they told us we were just trying to be lazy.

Oh well, one day soon those 2 are going to die and someone is going to find a letter from Abraham Lincoln destroyed by mildew.

-Nathan

Old 10-24-2003, 04:44 PM   #3

Hi Nathan,

Seems to me that there was almost an American responsibility to contact the appropriate authorities regarding these historic items.

It doesn't make sense that someone would just let the matter drop considering the possible enormity of the situation.

Thanks,
Harry

Old 10-24-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk

Next time I'll call the cops Harry... LOL

-Nathan
Old 10-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Flooring Guru

Trade: Sales Manager

I will start this one off with a client I had recently.
A guy called me up to schedule a blind measure ( a measure for some material not picked out yet) , and I accepted. He was hard of hearing, so I had to yell in the phone, but after scheduling the measure, I went out and he greeted me at the door. He warned me that before entering the house, he keeps the windows open all summer and fall, so it might be a tad dirty. Well that was a major understatment. There were knick knacks everywhere, clutter filling every portion of the home except his fridge which was pristine and clean, not even 1 picture on a fridge magnet. I noticed a fern plant sitting on the long fireplace hearth in the living room. And if you know about fern plants, the tiny leaves turn brown and fall off often, and if someone doesnt primp them, it will be a lush brown and green mix. But what I saw was, tons of brown leaves covering the floor underneath the plant, but the fern was perfectly green and plush, as if he pick the brown ones and leaves them on the floor, and looking at the amount of brown leaves on the floor, he must have been doing this for quite awhile. The wierdest thing I saw, was when I entered the bathroom. While I was measuring the floor, I noticed in the corner a TON of light blue fuzz covering the corner of the floor right under the towel bar, and as I looked up, I noticed a light blue towel that was worn down to the nub of the towel. Basically, this guy has used the towel sooooo long without washing or sweeping, that the fibers after who knows how long, fell to the ground 1 by one. Now how long do you think that took to happen? Totally wierd.
In this guys defense though, I must say that he was very proffesional, and didnt ramble on about everything in the world, which is what I expected. He was a very nice guy who was easy to deal with. There were just a couple things that seemed awkward to me.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Roofer
Rewards Points: 150

As some of you already know, my company installs, among other things, aluminum shingles. The other day, I went to see a client to follow up on an installation we did about a month ago, and, explore if they would be willing to give us letters of referral and permission to use photos of their house for our publicity. During my visit, the homeowner told me that his new roof almost killed his neighbour. Seeing the look on my face, he hurried on to say “Sorry, I meant to say that he almost died laughing!”. That didn’t sound very promising either, so he explained. Apparently, my client’s roof was part of the neighbourhood squirrels’ normal route, and after the roof was completed, they resumed their habits. My client’s neighbour observed them leaping from a tree branch onto the roof, starting to scamper across, and then as in a cartoon, start sliding down the slick surface. At first the squirrel would plant all four paws firmly onto the surface, but it would continue to slide downhill. Then all four legs would erupt in a frenzy of motion as it tried to gain traction and stop itself, but that motion just speeded up the slide. He watched the squirrel fall off the roof in frantic motion, and to the ground (it was only one story) then jump up and take off as if hell’s furies were after it. Meanwhile, the next squirrel in line did the same thing, with same results. And the next, and the next. By this time, the neighbour was laughing so hard he apparently couldn’t stand up.

My client tells me that there are no more squirrels on his roof and his relation with the neighbour has never been better. And I got my referral.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:42 AM   #7
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,336

On a commercial building remodel, a big part of the job was 8k sq ft of hot mopped roof. The first layer was 30# felt. It was rolled out and nailed to the deck on Saturday afternoon. I went home and early Sunday morning I awoke to 35 mph winds. I hopped out of bed and went to job, expecting to find the paper tore up and a huge mess. When I got there I could not find a scrap of felt anywhere. 8,000 square feet of 30# felt, blew off and disappeared in the night. I can talk about it now because it's past the statute of limitations.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
3rd gen,it's in the blood

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhook View Post
On a commercial building remodel, a big part of the job was 8k sq ft of hot mopped roof. The first layer was 30# felt. It was rolled out and nailed to the deck on Saturday afternoon. I went home and early Sunday morning I awoke to 35 mph winds. I hopped out of bed and went to job, expecting to find the paper tore up and a huge mess. When I got there I could not find a scrap of felt anywhere. 8,000 square feet of 30# felt, blew off and disappeared in the night. I can talk about it now because it's past the statute of limitations.

had something like that happen.4 rolls of .60mil were gone one morning.don't think it was the wind though.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Carpenter

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

A couple of years ago I did a Bathroom remodel for a gay couple. Great customers and paid on time.

After I completed the job I got a call from the more feminine of the two, he said he had a huge problem and need me to come over as soon as possible.

I thought it odd that he would not tell me the problem over the phone so I schedule to go see him the next day.

I arrived trying to anticipate all the things that could be wrong. I knocked on the door and the HO brought me up to the bathroom. He pointed at the toilet and said look, I did, I could see nothing wrong. Then he said the water in the bowl is to high.

Huh???

Well, when my husband sits down his penis touches the water.

I tried not to laugh but could not help it. In near hysterics I told him there was nothing that could be done outside of buying a specially designed tall bowl.

He said he would just have to live with it.

Indeed he would I thought.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,336

I went on a bid, referal by an architect. A 3 story house overlooking the ocean on Shorecliff. 2 gay guys. Huge remodel. Probably a mil. I laughed it off and never got back to them. About a year later I went back to the neighborhood and the house was done.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,050

a while back I had a new client meeting, I think it was a saturday morning, anyway the night before a buddy of mine sends an email with some **** attatchment, somehow I must have accidently and inadvertantly rightclicked and saved it as my desktop backround. Shut down and went to bed. next morning I grab my laptop and head out for the meeting, measure sit down at dining room table to start designing, (indian family with daughter and grandmother present) I turn on the computer and there right in front of this family is some chick getting pounded on my desktop, I composed myself, fixed it conducted the meeting as if nothing had happened, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there
Old 04-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
a while back I had a new client meeting, I think it was a saturday morning, anyway the night before a buddy of mine sends an email with some **** attatchment, somehow I must have accidently and inadvertantly rightclicked and saved it as my desktop backround. Shut down and went to bed. next morning I grab my laptop and head out for the meeting, measure sit down at dining room table to start designing, (indian family with daughter and grandmother present) I turn on the computer and there right in front of this family is some chick getting pounded on my desktop, I composed myself, fixed it conducted the meeting as if nothing had happened, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there
Did you get the job? sorry, but I'm LMFAO!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

holy old thread! its back from the archives!