Cost For Slab Of Granite?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 25

Cost For Slab Of Granite?

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in so let's go with "general."

Does anybody have a "ballpark" figure of what a full slab of 3cm granite costs? I'm actually curious to know wholesale cost, not retail. I realize prices may vary from region to region so I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate. Nothing exotic in color. For this example, let's consider something like Uba Tuba, a popular color that tends to be in the lower end of the price category. I'm not sure what the standard dimensions are for a slab either, but they look to be ~6' x 8' ...if you know for sure, feel free to correct me. It was just my observation when I looked at it.

Feel free to PM me if need be.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Cost For Slab Of Granite?

$800.00 give or take.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: painting

Thanks, Mike.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 75

Sounds right on to me. The question is, where can we get wholesale granite with no middle man??
Old 06-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #5

Trade: Kitchens, Bathrooms, Basements, Additions, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

You have to own a granite/marble fabrication company to get it wholesale. My step-father's family owns a granite company and it's crazy how little they actually pay for a slab. An $85 / sq. ft. installed price is justifiable though considering all of the tools, machinery, and experience it takes for that industry. Some of the machines run upwards of $200k - $300k each!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
Pro

That's one way to be able to buy it wholesale. Another way is to work with enough fabricators until you find one that will let you purchase it wholesale through them. If you keep looking or find the right one, you might find one that will even store the remnants at their location for you to use on later projects. (read that as meaning - free stone on the second project) When you are doing vanities you can get a lot of free vanities out of a large slab.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #7

Trade: Kitchens, Bathrooms, Basements, Additions, Remodeling

Have to love the free vanity tops...that is if you can convince/persuade/steer your customers to use the remnants you have without making it too obvious that it's leftover stone.

Do you do your own fabrication Mike, or do you just pay your sub to do the fabrication/installation and they let you purchase and store the stone through them as a benefit for using them?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Young Gun

Trade: Smartass
Rewards Points: 250

Wow here in Chicago my granite guy has shown me the slips for the granite(bill wholesale). Granite out here for 6'x8' slabs run from 1200 to 60k a slab. Lucky you guys! My granite guy charges me 40 dollars a square foot. But I have done a ton of work at his house tho!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #9

Trade: Granite installer

I'm a granite installer in new jersey and stone can cost for as little as $5 sqft all the way up to $100 to $1000 sqft for exotic stone and slab range from 48in to 76in tall by 84in to 130in long. but average stone is like 66in X 110in and $10 to $25 on average
The Following User Says Thank You to GraniteNJ For This Useful Post:
CO762 (03-04-2012)
Old 07-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteNJ View Post
I'm a granite installer in new jersey and stone can cost for as little as $5 sqft all the way up to $100 to $1000 sqft for exotic stone and slab range from 48in to 76in tall by 84in to 130in long. but average stone is like 66in X 110in and $10 to $25 on average
I just had 85 sf done for a convenience store that I had the fabricators (not a storefront) do for me. I pay $100 over cost on the slab and then they charge me for the fab seperately. My slab cost on this job for ubatuba 2cm (commercial) was around $7/sf. I think I was $22 out the door on the 85 sf polished edge. I paid my granite floor guys extra to set the slabs and cut the necessary holes as they already had the high dollar hole saws, grinders, buffers, etc. All told, I installed this way at about a 50% savings from buying it from a local shop.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildpinnacle View Post
I think I was $22 out the door on the 85 sf polished edge.
That's less then 1/2 the market rate out here for acceptable fabrication quality. I've seen some stuff lower than market here, but you can tell as soon as you look at it. - hand polished edges that wave at you when you run your eye down them, slabs that but and one edge thickness is 1/8 inch less then the one it butts too. Horible seams.. etc..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
CO762 (03-04-2012)
Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Home remodeling

Trade: Remodeler & Home Builder

I buy directly from the yards and get wholesale pricing. In Houston if your licensed they will sell to you for the same cost my fabricators pay.

Manufacturer granite is a good way to save costs when a customer has a regular kitchen with standard 24" base cabinets. The longest counter top they sell is 114"x 26" for $185 to $215 per slab and it comes in the popular colors like Uba Tuba, Absolute Black, Santa Cecilia, etc...

I'm even able to get a stainless double bowl steel sink for $80 ( great throw in to use for Free Sink w/granite special).
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Masonry

It all depends on the type of granite and the fabrication involved.
Factors include:
Stone size: Slab is more than tile sized. Generally the larger the granite slab the higher the costs.
Stone Type: Generally the more common types are less expensive
Stone fabrication: Labor and machine time involved.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #14

Trade: green building

You probably already know about decorative concrete as an alternative....
Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #15

Trade: Tile

give or take there are many different variables that come into play but on average for ME it's around $500
Old 03-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Trade: bricklayer

How much can you sell a slab of granite...they are 2ft x 4ft 3/4 thick polished slab of granite. I restored a building and had to take off the slabs.

Last edited by Brickslayer; 03-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveincincy View Post
Does anybody have a "ballpark" figure of what a full slab of 3cm granite costs? I'm actually curious to know wholesale cost, not retail.
For your kitchen remodel in your home, don't you already have a guy that did the templates for everything?

I guess I don't know why you're interested in the installers/fabricators costs if you are just the end consumer. If their prices are too much for you, use another contractor/company.

Am I missing something?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer View Post
Have to love the free vanity tops...
They are cool as all free high dollar material is. But the catch is, you have to do enough volume for them to actually want to cut you these deals because they make enough money off of you in other areas.

I think other terms for this are "taking care of your good customers" and of course, "volume pricing". Finley can just go to an area west of the south platte river and see all sorts of places with slabs out and wheel and deal. If he goes to a different one each time, there will be no relationship established, so they have no reason to give him any 'scraps'. But most places there do sell their 'scraps' to people that just walk in the door off the street.

The weird thing is the price is usually more than the price for a full slab. Metal (distributors) are also like this as once they cut into a big piece of metal for a one timer, the value of that whole piece has gone down because now it's, well, scrap.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
It all depends on the type of granite and the fabrication involved.
Factors include:
Stone size: Slab is more than tile sized. Generally the larger the granite slab the higher the costs.
Stone Type: Generally the more common types are less expensive
Stone fabrication: Labor and machine time involved.
You forgot one:

Volume. Not only from local resellers/fab shops, but also direct ships from china, some just slab, others pre-fabbed. But the latter is obviously for larger jobs, where the seller gets enough volume to cut pricing and/or the local guys get cut out or the guys that sell to the local fab/distributors just sell directly to the installation company and the locals get a bird dog fee. Pretty complex at times, but if it's worth it (financially), the work will be done on the supplier end. Walmart gets better pricing than your local store because they purchase more.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 516
Send a message via AIM to WilsonRMDL

Place I used to work at paid $65 a slab from Italy. Can't give anymore info as I know they had a few thousand slabs in stock, and ordered direct.