Columbus, Ohio Contractor. Need Info.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Columbus, Ohio Contractor. Need Info.

I've just got a quote to do in Columbus from a guy I do work for in SC. I looked around the contractors site for Ohio and I dont find much info. Its a fire damage restoration on mini storage units. I'll need an electrician and I'll handle the metal work........if I'm alowed by the state. My problem is I'm only licensed in TN and SC. I told the guy I would go anywhere anytime, who knew he would go out of state on me. He emailed me specs and #9 on the sheet says city requires permits to be pulled. He cant pull permits, I handle that. But in Ohio? Also the prices there have to be different from here. I'd have to use some peice of crap estimator that will probably be wrong and Ill lose my tail. What to do, what to do? I dont want to lose his business altogether if I cant hold up my end of the bargain(anywhere, anytime).

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Columbus, Ohio Contractor. Need Info.

First of all figure out if you are going to be able to pull the permits, you will probably have to get your lic. from the required state. Second, just figure out the job as if it were any other. You have to make what ya gotta make to operate your business and only you know that.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Sean

Trade: In Between Titles
Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmstang View Post
I've just got a quote to do in Columbus from a guy I do work for in SC. I looked around the contractors site for Ohio and I dont find much info. Its a fire damage restoration on mini storage units. I'll need an electrician and I'll handle the metal work........if I'm alowed by the state. My problem is I'm only licensed in TN and SC. I told the guy I would go anywhere anytime, who knew he would go out of state on me. He emailed me specs and #9 on the sheet says city requires permits to be pulled. He cant pull permits, I handle that. But in Ohio? Also the prices there have to be different from here. I'd have to use some peice of crap estimator that will probably be wrong and Ill lose my tail. What to do, what to do? I dont want to lose his business altogether if I cant hold up my end of the bargain(anywhere, anytime).
From CLSI

Getting a contractor license in Ohio:
You must hold a state license to do Electrical, HVAC, Refrigeration, Plumbing, or Hydronics work in Ohio. General construction contractors may need to be licensed at the local level. Check with the city or county for licensing information and requirements.

As for Curapa's comments - don't forget to add in the cost of travel, lodging, etc... If you know which materials are required - try seeing if your normal suppliers can recommend someone there & get costs from those locations
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor

I'm figuring the traveling expenses now. I know my overhead and what I need to make. I'm worried about missing the materials. I'll check with my vendors today, great idea.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #5

Trade: commercial construction
Rewards Points: 10

Getting a contractor license in Ohio:
You must hold a state license to do Electrical, HVAC, Refrigeration, Plumbing, or Hydronics work in Ohio. General construction contractors may need to be licensed at the local level. Check with the city or county for licensing information and requirements.

As for Curapa's comments - don't forget to add in the cost of travel, lodging, etc... If you know which materials are required - try seeing if your normal suppliers can recommend someone there & get costs from those locations[/QUOTE]

excellent info.

also pm me if you need any more info on ohio commercial construction / commercial general contracting
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Superintendent

Trade: commercial construction superintendent

I just bid a renovation job in Columbus and the plan review/permit fees
came out to 4350$ based on 22k sq.ft. I hope this helps.