Builders Competition

Old 02-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #1

Trade: Remolding
Rewards Points: 4

Builders Competition

So as some of you know, Iím a college student whose going to school for construction managment so that way I have a degree if I get hurt and be canít do physical work my whole life/ so I donít have to if I donít want to.
I was asked to join a competation tesm of other students who are new to the program. We have to do an RFP for a mixed use 4 story building thatís commercial/res. I was selected to do the estimate since I know the most about that (not much but more than rest) but tomorrow we will be going through the information we have to do the bid. We have the plans and have sub bids to go from (was a project that was actually completed in past year) but I was looking to see if their is anything useful besides just take my time and count everything twice. Wonít be doing it alone so Iíll have someone to double check my math and counts.
Thanks in advance.
Josh

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #2

Re: Builders Competition

And Ik the rules of the forum. No pricing questions like that. Not looking for that. Just looking for any tips to make a sickie job a little less suckie, or something that took you a while to pick up that now seems obvious that someone fresh out the gate wouldnít know.

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 12:03 AM   #3
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,198

The spelling police around here will have you jailed before you get to much farther.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthill For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (02-03-2018), Fouthgeneration (02-05-2018), onmywayup (02-07-2018), Unger.const (02-04-2018)

Old 02-03-2018, 12:11 AM   #4

Iíve said it before And Iíll say it again. Iím a worker. Not an English major. Everyone has their strong and weak points. Spelling is one of my weak points. And auto-correct doesnít help.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshN For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 12:48 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter Contractor
Rewards Points: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
The spelling police around here will have you jailed before you get to much farther.

How much farther? Too much father? 🤤

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
concretemasonry (02-03-2018), Live Edge (02-07-2018), MattK (02-03-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,198

2 munch farter
Old 02-03-2018, 01:08 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpenter Contractor
Rewards Points: 262

I quit the construction management program after I quit the civil engineering program. Just didnít care for school and I wanted to be an employer not an employee once I finished.

Bidding is tough, and it doesnít necessarily get easier because the jobs get bigger as you grow.

I honed my bidding skills by doing jobs for free/making wages as Iím sure everyone does when starting out.

If you have experience swinging a hammer that should help with bidding. When I was in college we used to talk about rs meens, which isnít that accurate always but maybe a baseline or starting point.

I try to figure it a couple ways, hourly, sq foot, and material x2. Then see how those numbers line up with one another. If itís a job Iím familiar with I know close to exactly how long it will take and how much material will be used and where it will be wasted(for example most metal trim for roofs and siding on commercial or shops come in 10í lengths, so if you have a roof with a 16í rake you will use more material and have more waste than a roof with a rake of 14í, so you shouldnít figure how many feet of gable trim you need, but how many pieces you need). On remodels you definitely want to inflate your labor price because youíre burning through sawsall blades and it takes more time, on new construction Iíve heard from multiple people that they match their labor to material which sometimes is spot on but not always.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #8

Iím kinda in the same boat 51. I donít want to be an employee my whole Life. Hell my 10 year plan is to work for a company for a few years to save up enough to start out on my own. Iím not the studenty type or the desk type. If I go to long without doing anything I get really bored (more than a day or 2 of nothing).
Luckily this bid doesnít count for anthing other than bragging rights and a trophy. If I miss something itís not like itís goinf to cost me thousands but I still want to be as accurate as I can be. But Iím going through 90 pages of drawings and with only half the sub quotes in (for some reason half wonít be here till next week- a week before itís due) itís over 200 pages of stuff.
And yep they still teach us rs means and that. Since I havenít taken the estimating class yet i borrowed the book from the professor who teaches it.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #9
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 8,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshN View Post
And Ik the rules of the forum. No pricing questions like that. Not looking for that. Just looking for any tips to make a sickie job a little less suckie, or something that took you a while to pick up that now seems obvious that someone fresh out the gate wouldnít know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
Quote:
Iíve said it before And Iíll say it again. Iím a worker. Not an English major. Everyone has their strong and weak points. Spelling is one of my weak points. And auto-correct doesnít help.
Then for God's sakes, learn English.

And stop making excuses.
concretemasonry (02-03-2018), Fouthgeneration (02-05-2018), Martin K (02-03-2018), MattK (02-03-2018), rselectric1 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Door Installer
Rewards Points: 76

I have to agree with some of the others folks. If you don't just want to be an employee, a couple of the skills you need to work on, is your spelling and sentence structure. If you send out resumes with spelling like that, it will get tossed in the trash. If you want to bid on projects, your bid needs to look professional with no errors in spelling. When you are communicating with prospective clients via email, you can easily lose a job if your communication looks like your first post, unless your work speaks for itself. I'm not trying to be a doosh, but it's the fact.
We're not trying to beat up on you. The fact that there is a forum like this where successful entrepreneurs (I'm not one of them) are willing to give free advice to guys coming into the world, is absolutely priceless.

Last edited by RickP; 02-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickP For This Useful Post:
Martin K (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 263

First learn how to work with spread sheets. The either use an existing template, or create your own.
Everything else will follow as you learn how to define task at hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,734

jesus christ, what's this world coming to ???? SMFH.

How the hell can anyone run a business being illiterate?

When I hired on workers and reviewed resumes any of them with poor grammar/spelling got immdeiately tossed in the trash.

Last edited by kirkdc; 02-03-2018 at 11:55 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirkdc For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (02-08-2018), rselectric1 (02-03-2018), SmallTownGuy (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
This space for lease

Trade: Tool jocky
Rewards Points: 3,230

Quote:
That's the best attitude to have if you want to be a low level worker your whole life. You aren't going to move up into management with poor writing skills. Auto-correct does work if you know which spelling is appropriate.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Framing, Roofing, Siding
Rewards Points: 854

My advice to you is to work on your English and grammar. As you grow your future business you'll be corresponding with many homeowners through texts, emails, documents, etc. Failing to speak, spell and write in proper English will give off the impression that you are of lower class and by default, a less trust worthy contractor. It may be the farthest thing from the truth but you will still only have one opportunity to make a great first impression. Your misspelling of the word COMPETITION was the worst impression you could have made. It shows you lack either basic education or you are too lazy to proof read your own posts. I'm not sure which is worse in the eyes of your potential clients.

When I was hustling to do roof replacements for homeowners, I used to hear over and over how my competition was unprofessional and failed to earn the homeowner's trust. Many roof contractors had the attitude that "roofers aren't choir boys", and I genuinely appreciated all the work I received because of that stereotype they refused to overcome.

I would encourage you to take Introduction to English classes at your local college, many of the same ones being taught to immigrants. The assistance with sentence structure, word format and spelling will be vital going forward in your career. There are two types of people in this world: those who lay excuses and blame; and those who never stop learning and improving. You have to decide which type you would like to be.
Page 77 has the updated, complete list.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattK For This Useful Post:
Martin K (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
I would encourage you to take Introduction to English classes at your local college, many of the same ones being taught to immigrants.
I don't think his English is that bad. Mine's not perfect either, but I learned a few basic rules that go a long way to making me seem like less of an idiot.
Pay attention class!

Two = 2
To is the direction.
Too is in addition or too many. (you can remember this because it has too many o's)
I'm going to the store to buy two loaves of bread and I will pick up two gallons of milk too.

There = a place.
They're = they are.
Their = belongs to them.
They're going over there to pick up their tools.

Contractions. The ' means you took out a letter or two. It's = It is. Should've = should have. (and NEVER use "should of". It sounds right and spell check won't stop you, but you'll look like an idiot to anyone who graduated High School before 2000.)

Sentence structure and grammar can be done if you just keep it simple. One thought per sentence. Take the time to read back your sentence and check that it makes sense.
I'm not a genius, an English major, or even a good student. I just realized that I was getting called out for these mistakes and that there weren't that many of them to learn. I spotted a weakness and took fifteen minutes to research it and fix it. Just like if you bend a nail every time you swing your hammer, then you might want to take a few minutes to learn that important skill for your career. You don't have to become the best in the world at swinging that hammer, but you should at least know how to do it well enough to do your job well and not just write it off as "a weak point".
Old 02-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,928

Quote:
Iíve said it before And Iíll say it again. Iím a worker. Not an English major. Everyone has their strong and weak points. READING A TAPE MEASURE is one of my weak points. And auto-correct doesnít help.

Do you need to read a tape to succeed?

Do you need to improve your communication?

The answer is the same to both questions. You can't just say "I'm not very good at..."

You either need to improve your deficits, hire someone who excels there, or do both.

How a person writes is generally indicative of their reading comprehension. If you can't understand what you read, why would I hire you?

Granted, we can understand you, and this is an informal forum, but clarity in written communication is very important.

Not trying to be overly harsh, but to succeed, you can't be lacking here.

As said before, each sentence needs to be a complete thought. It needs to have at least one "actor" and one "action, " a subject and a verb, if you will.

I'm a worker. Complete.

Not an English major. Incomplete.

Yes, you may have broken the thought for emphasis, but it comes across as you might be a simpleton.

Write it like you would say it:

I'm a worker, not an English major.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #17

If Iím illiterate how did I manage to pass all my general English classes for my major with As?
I understand my post was a little sloppy. It was also written at 11pm when I was exausted from 10 hours of classes and work.
Iíll admit it wasnít my best spelling or grammar but I was trying to write something quick just for a couple quick pointers on where to dive into a bid a competition not to get a lecture on how I have no aspirations or how I wonít advance.
Josh

Last edited by JoshN; 02-03-2018 at 10:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshN For This Useful Post:
dayexco (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdc View Post
jesus christ, what's this world coming to ???? SMFH.

How the hell can anyone run a business being illiterate?

When I hired on workers and reviewed resumes any of them with poor grammar/spelling got immdeiately tossed in the trash.

LOL...oops.
The Following User Says Thank You to kirkdc For This Useful Post:
Jay hole (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #19

See, we are all human and we all make mistakes. Itís a whole heck of a lot easier to catch mistakes on a PC than on a iPhone. Mistakes donít always appear, on my phone atleast, and when you have to scroll up and down to proofread longer posts you can accidently miss things without even realizing it. When you read something you wrote, youíre mind will often play a truck where it reads it like you intended it to be written even if itís not there. Why authors have an outside person proofread for them.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
If I’m illiterate how did I manage to pass all my general English classes for my major with As?
I understand my post was a little sloppy. It was also written at 11pm when I was exausted from 10 hours of classes and work.
I’ll admit it wasn’t my best spelling or grammar but I was trying to write something quick just for a couple quick pointers on where to dive into a bid a competition not to get a lecture on how I have no aspirations or how I won’t advance.
Josh
The american education system is a total failure. Maybe the worst in the world.

"No child left behind."

Millennialism.

The dumbing-down of young americans.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kirkdc For This Useful Post:
RickP (02-04-2018)