Broken Tool Repair?

Old 02-23-2018, 11:18 PM   #1

Trade: Fencing, woodwork
Rewards Points: 16

Broken Tool Repair?

Any opinions on time/money getting tools repaired vs. 'throw them in the gutter, etc... etc....? Yes, I'm the guy who kind of sucks at throwing out 'useful' stuff, and in many cases I end up just buying new when something breaks because I need it NOW! Primarily I'm talking about $100-$300 new value power tools like dropped circular saws, rotary hammers/drills with broken switches, etc... In a former life I would nerd out on the internet, buy cheap replacement parts somewhere and give it a shot with varying results. Now my time is worth much more money, but I still hate throwing stuff out that could be easily repaired,(by someone who knows how).

Know anyone who could help in the North Denver Metro- let me know.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 416

Re: Broken Tool Repair?

I hate throwing stuff away, and used to fix that kinda stuff. But like you say, my time is worth alot more now, and it doesn't make sense to spend a couple hours trying to save 50 bucks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to mrcat For This Useful Post:
Bummie (02-27-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

There's no one answer, it depends. My Bosch multi-tool would no longer hold blades so I nearly tossed it to get something else. But I opened it up only to find a screw that holds the mechanism down had loosened with the vibrations. Tightened it and it's good as new. I'll replace a switch on a tool if available. Worn mechanisms won't be worth repairing on a small tool. I like using a tool I fixed more than using a new tool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-25-2018), mrcat (02-24-2018)

Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcat View Post
I hate throwing stuff away, and used to fix that kinda stuff. But like you say, my time is worth alot more now, and it doesn't make sense to spend a couple hours trying to save 50 bucks

There’s always rain days and snow days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,610

There's an awesome repair shop in Greeley, but at $75 an hour plus parts, it may not always make sense financially. But, when it only takes ten minutes to replace a switch in a worm drive saw.

In Denver, you have the luxury of the major tool brands having a service center in town. I know bosch, Milwaukee, and dewalt all have a service center there.

For air tools, there is Carlson Systems and Empire Staple. I just had my big coil framer rebuilt for $150 by Carlson. That was worth it to me.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the input everyone- just wish I had a heated shop to tinker with stuff.(pretty easy to wimp out when I have a snow day and the highs are in the teens) I'll probably mess with them a bit and see what I can do, then maybe try to finagle a deal with a repair shop if it comes to it. Thanks for the heads-up on the options in Greeley and Denver.

Lettusbee- is real estate and construction booming in FC like it is down here in the Boulder area?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS BOCO View Post
Thanks for the input everyone- just wish I had a heated shop to tinker with stuff.(pretty easy to wimp out when I have a snow day and the highs are in the teens) I'll probably mess with them a bit and see what I can do, then maybe try to finagle a deal with a repair shop if it comes to it. Thanks for the heads-up on the options in Greeley and Denver.

Lettusbee- is real estate and construction booming in FC like it is down here in the Boulder area?
FC is copying Boulder. Prices are so high that people are driving till they qualify. Communities like Wellington, Severance, and Ault are exploding with tract housing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
There’s always rain days and snow days.
And on rain days and snow days, I'm either looking at jobs, or trying to keep up with the mountain of paperwork on my desk

Old 02-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

Lettusbee- Wow, not surprised- but when the bubble bursts around here,(knock on wood) there are going to be a lot of people underwater in really badly built homes. Boulders 'no growth' policy has blown up everything else in Boulder county and beyond. I just talked to a high-end residential GC I work with,(both bitching about finding good help) said that one of his subs doesn't even try to hire within the area. Instead he heads south and recruits- he's one of the GCs best subs with really nice work. He also said he's done a few remodels lately on builds that are only 1-2 yrs old and haven't changed hands- quality of work is for **** to the point of being funny.... On the upside, the amount of sub-par work makes more work for quality contractors.
MrCat- I hear that- I love looking at jobs and figuring problems/solutions but beyond Bids, estimates, and invoicing paperwork is my nemesis.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,437

Or fix alone or give to service fix for you. Power tools are fairly simple compared to cars.

Advertisement