BBB "rating" ??? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

BBB "rating" ???

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #1

Trade: Basement waterproofing
Rewards Points: 10

BBB "rating" ???

Any of you guys out there have any issues with the new BBB ?rating" system???

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 570

Re: BBB "rating" ???

Why do you need a rating from the BBB?

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
What goes in this space?

Trade: Fence installations
Rewards Points: 75

I dropped my BBB membership years ago. hasn't hurt me in the least. That is $500 a year I save. Why spend it just to say I'm a member?
WisePainter (04-28-2009)

Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRFencer View Post
I dropped my BBB membership years ago. hasn't hurt me in the least. That is $500 a year I save. Why spend it just to say I'm a member?
Wow, $500 a year just to say you are a member???
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
What goes in this space?

Trade: Fence installations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Wow, $500 a year just to say you are a member???
Why do you think I dropped it
Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

Non-Members are rated also.

what is the new Rating System?

Ed
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRFencer View Post
Why do you think I dropped it
I don't blame you. I had no idea that it cost that much.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I can supply many references better than the BBB. I'm still trying to figure out how they are still in existance.

Albert Einstein
Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Trade: General building & remodeling

Quite the standing joke around my parts. I have even had customers comment about favorable ratings of known local shmucks.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Rewards Points: 500

I refuse to join. They are a paper tiger with no dispute resolution capabilities whatsoever. A worthless organization. I tell customers I have never actually worked for anyone at the BBB but if they want to talk to people I actually have worked for I can give them thousands of people to call. Besides, if they want they can look up my pofile w/ the BBB anyway. It still says I have a satisfactory rating but am a non member. I get to exude the same info as a member for free. Go figure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buildpinnacle For This Useful Post:
Cdat (04-28-2009), WisePainter (04-28-2009)
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
egotistical prick

Trade: Wood Inlay

I never understood the concept of paying someone to rate your own company. Kinda' like the banks do for credit ratings. Rate me bad and I don't pay?!? WTF, over? and people actually fall for stupid schemes like this?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,220

If you aren't a member and a customer logs a compliant they will give you a poor rating if you don't use their arbitration staff @ nearly 4oo dollars...None Profit my AZZ..I had a BBB case worker tell me flat out she lied to me in order to get it to the arbitration phase.. People actually think the BBB is a government agency.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
egotistical prick

So, if, let's say, we say we received poor service from a competitor, does it hurt them...?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Pro

Each party is contacted regarding the dispute.

The party receiving the complaint get an opportunity to refute the claim or to attempt to make good on the claim.

The complaining party then must respond if the actions taken have resolver the complaint.

If the BBB, after several back and forth correspondences with both parties feels that the party complained about has acted in an honorable manner and done whatever they could to resolve the complaint, but the complaining party still does not accept the actions taken, then the BBB can close the file, but it will remain on your record for 3 years, as "Administratively Closed".

The other 2 options for closure are "Resolved" and Unresolved".

Ed
Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
egotistical prick

So, in a nut shell, you're paying for a union. Someone to ref for the 2 sides?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Pro

Ed,

I have had 2 complaints against me at the BBB and here they are.

1st: We sell a shingle job, schedule it, and set the materials up for delivery on such and such day. I call the customer and let them know the materials will arrive on such and such sometime mid to late morning as we are on the second run. The HO starts calling every person he has a number for in our company at 11:00 am drilling us on where the material is. We did our due dilegence and contacted the supplier, even though we repeatedly told him that we cannot give him an exact time, hence...mid to late morning. At just past noon, he calls me to inform me that he has filed a complaint with the BBB online. I went ballistic. Fifteen minutes after our conversation, he calls me back to let me know the materials arrived and he was sorry for being such an #$$SS. I told him to call them immediately and retract it. They WOULD NOT retract the complaint even though he explained it to them and said he just overreacted. They put their blanket comment like 'contractor resolved issue' on there, but it still shows. HERE is the most screwed up part of it all. That was in 2004....over 60 Months ago! It is STILL listed as one of the two complaints on my report.

2nd: Long story short.....owner who would not pay due draws on resto job. We handed it to our lawyers, stayed on the job through our required time per our contract language for non payment, sent the demands, filed the liens, pulled off the job....the works. They then decide to use the BBB as their tool to get me to complete the work (which all of a sudden is substandard according to them) We went through the paperwork rounds with the BBB, attorney letters, liens, pictures of the work, etc. They even sent a letter to the HO to let them know that they were siding with us and that we did what was within our rights. Result....complaint still logged, but shows it was administratively closed, even though we won.

My only good thing I will say about the BBB is I had a client a few years ago try to file a complaint following the completion of the work because we went 3 weeks over schedule on a 3 month job. They asked them about the workmanship, scope, etc and they said all that was great and they were happy with everything. They even told them we created the vision they had when the project started. They just wanted to penalize us because we ran long. This all happened without a word from 'happy clients' who paid like Homer. The BBB told them they had no grounds and did nothing more that send me a letter letting me know it had happened and left it at that. That situation isn't enough for them to overcome how much I think they suck, though.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 250

LOL!

I bet any of these guys would threaten to call the BBB if a service (that had a triple 'A' rating) ripped them off...
Old 04-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
Pro

I have one that is listed as Resolved also.

It was for a warranty repair inquiry, that was not leaking at the time, when we had 14" of fresh snow and ice on the roofs.

I scheduled for the investigation and follow up repair to an old chimney housing which we did not replace, but in retrospect, should have, and spent 4 man hours having a man work on the roof, with an additional 2 man hours doing an inspection inside the entire home.

This is for a customer whom I had gotten a complete free roof and siding job for her home and garage, but she could not wait, even though there was no ongoing leak at the frozen tundra time period.

Talk about gratitude.

She at first was going to be paying for the roof out of pocket, until I noticed the hail damage on her roof, which then saved her about $8,000.00 plus got all new Alside siding to boot.

Well, at least it is listed as Resolved, but I wish there was an opportunity for the complaining party to have the complaint removed.

Ed
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Custom Builder

Trade: Custom home builder
Rewards Points: 79

As a builder we almost have to be a member. We've had 2 complaints and both were settled. I think we are A+ or something like that. It's tough, you have to kiss ass and pay your way out of a dispute even if you know you're in the right.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #20
Pro

I didn't even know they had changed their rating system. I am a non member and just checked...I have a B+. I wonder how much the $300 fee could bump me up in the ratings. I almost want to do it to see if it makes a difference. They must not recurit much around here. I get a call from them maybe twice per year. Maybe they don't want me.

Advertisement