Advantages Of Contractor's License

Old 11-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #1

Trade: Redevelop/Investment
Rewards Points: 10

Advantages Of Contractor's License

I was wondering if you guys can help me understand if there are any advantages in having a contractor's license for an owner-builder/developer like me. Here is the deal.

I've recently completed building a house from the ground up (as owner builder) and have sold it for very good profit. I, my father, and my brother, have all worked many various jobs in construction before, so we did a lot of work ourselves, but we also obviously hired various contractors for all kinds of jobs we didn't see the point in doing ourselves. I am now considering buying a fourplex in less than prime condition, fixing it, leasing it, and selling it. I would later like to move to fixing up run down office buildings. I wish to go the "investment real estate" route this time instead of building a house, because I am a commercial real estate broker and often come across great redevelopment opportunities.

I've got the experience to get the license, so here is my question. Considering that I never plan to hire workers to work for me, and aside from the awesome ability to be able to post on here with other contractors, are there advantages of having a contractor's license for someone like me? Do you often get some kind of discount (particularly for the materials after rough inspection) that I wouldn't get? Is there some kind of "insider's information" that is available to contractors that I am overlooking? Most importantly: Are the city/county planning and building officials more willing to work with you guys in getting you the permits/information on development in the city?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Re: Advantages Of Contractor's License

I think it depends on where your at Sky.

Better give us a Location?

Bob

Old 11-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,487

In my city you HAVE to occupy the building if you are owner GC. Although I dont know how they check up on that... or if they even bother. But its just the rules... So you might want to check with your area.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Roofing, Weatherization
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh View Post
I was wondering if you guys can help me understand if there are any advantages in having a contractor's license for an owner-builder/developer like me. Here is the deal.

I've recently completed building a house from the ground up (as owner builder) and have sold it for very good profit. I, my father, and my brother, have all worked many various jobs in construction before, so we did a lot of work ourselves, but we also obviously hired various contractors for all kinds of jobs we didn't see the point in doing ourselves. I am now considering buying a fourplex in less than prime condition, fixing it, leasing it, and selling it. I would later like to move to fixing up run down office buildings. I wish to go the "investment real estate" route this time instead of building a house, because I am a commercial real estate broker and often come across great redevelopment opportunities.

I've got the experience to get the license, so here is my question. Considering that I never plan to hire workers to work for me, and aside from the awesome ability to be able to post on here with other contractors, are there advantages of having a contractor's license for someone like me? Do you often get some kind of discount (particularly for the materials after rough inspection) that I wouldn't get? Is there some kind of "insider's information" that is available to contractors that I am overlooking? Most importantly: Are the city/county planning and building officials more willing to work with you guys in getting you the permits/information on development in the city?

Just to put a bit of a spin on your question............What would be the disadvantage of getting your contractors license? In my area you can't get a permit without it.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #5

Thank you for your replies.

I apologize for forgetting to include the location where I reside. I live in California (Sacramento area). There is a blueprint online for those who must have a license in the state and those that are exempted. As far as I gather from one of the exceptions to the rule about those who do not need a general contractor's license, I can make improvements to four structures within a year's period without a contractor's license if I use contractors to do some work (see link below).

Quote:
Just to put a bit of a spin on your question............What would be the disadvantage of getting your contractors license?
Fair question. I guess time would be one reason, as I would need to spend a couple of hours going over some basic codes to make sure I pass and then have to interrupt my schedule to take the test. There is also a $400 fee that I'd rather spend on golfing if I don't need the license.

Link to blueprint: htt-p://ww-w.cslb.ca.go-v/applicants/blueprint.asp
Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry
Rewards Points: 500

Owner-builders who build or improve existing structures on their own property if they contract for the construction with a licensed contractor or contractors.
Quote:
contract for the construction with a licensed contractor or contractors
Tells me a licensed contractor needs to do the work.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Project Manager/Licensed Remodeler

In my city, you're only able to rehab one house every two years without a license.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
contractor

Trade: carpentry plumbing electric
Rewards Points: 150

with my long time good reputation,I am too busy to worry about a liscense.As I have said before,I beleive a good reputation is worth more than a liscense.With over 30 years of in the feild experience,and being booked for a solid 19 years,I feel as though I can stand behind my statements.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

I'm very surprised you can pull homeowner permits on properties you don't occupy as a residence. If you can pull them then a license isn't a big deal in that regard. I'm still not sure you are really clear on your understanding of the laws in this regard so make sure.

Yes there are discounts for professional contractors at some suppliers. For every supplier that won't provide a discount to a non-contractor there seems to be 5 that will no matter who you are. But like I said there are some that do and depending upon what they supply it's up to you to decide if the savings are worth it. It isn't uncommon to receive discounts from a low of 5% to a high of 40% off of retail. It also isn't uncommon for suppliers to treat everyone as a retail customer or everyone as a wholesale customer.

As far as working with the building dept, I don't think it is out of line to consider that they cut homeowners a little slack in patience and dealing with them. However, it's all relative. Being a homeowner, you might get some slack on the first few times dealing with them, but after your 10th time still not knowing what you are doing their patience will wear thin. There is also the consideration that some inspectors hate homeowners because they are dangerous, don't know what they are doing and make their job harder. Inspectors who feel that way aren't going to let you into the 'club' for a long time. Most inspectors were contractors so some of them will go out of their way to help you with scheduling inspections since they know what you are going through, others just don't give a crap and love the security of thier governement job.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 11-23-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC

In my county Owner Builders are allowed to do one single family a year, three in a lifetime. Need a "C" residential to build
a duplex/4plex but need a B commercial to remodel the same. Owner permits for elect, plumbing, etc. are only allowed in single family dwellings that are occupied by the owner.

The only disadvantage I ever saw in a license is that you might
get a " you should know better" from a judge but working without a license in an area that requires a license or stretching the grey area isn't going to buy any points with anyone. Like Bob said. The whole thing depends on where you're working and what might be required.

Last edited by K2; 11-23-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
contractor

A savvy contractor can dance around permits that can waste his time and add unnecessary cost for a HO.I am not against liscence and permits for contractors that have not already proven themselves.I care more about MY customers than the government and their inspectors,that only care about their job.(generally speaking)
Old 11-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
A savvy contractor can dance around permits
I probably hate bureaucracy more than anyone but I can't dance.

I think even the best dancers would have a problem at our joint.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
contractor

In texas everyone knows how to two step,except me.I disco.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:07 AM   #14
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,616

SkyHigh, our rules in NM wouldn't allow you to do what you are doing. You could probably do it and not have any real difficulties with the law until something bad happens, then the **** hits the fan.

The "bad" thing could be an injury, an unhappy client, a pissed off inspector, or one of the many things we don't think about until it happens to us.

In NM

Owner builder = residential only, must own the house as a residence, not a business (rental).

As an owner-builder your are a GC and must follow all the laws other GC's do.

Every one who works on the site must be covered by Workmens Compensation Insurance. This is more restrictive than federal law. Your family must be covered by WC as well if they are working on the job.

Taxes is a big issue. Clearly you pay your family. Are you withholding taxes? This one comes back to bite you years later and is cumulative.

Liability is forever. Well almost anyway. The statute of limitations starts running when the code defficiency is discovered, not when it was made. Could be 30 years after the fact. You can cover your ass a little bit (certainly not entirely) by incorporating, but then you are now an owner-builder by definition.

When you have someone out there doing clean up who gets injured, he will sue. His lawyer will use your lack of a license as evidence that you were negligent in your business practices.

Why take the risk? Get the license. Get the insurance. Do it like a professional.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:29 AM   #15

I hear what you guys are saying and the response seems to be overwhelming in that I should just go and get the license. Many people involved exclusively in the commercial development trade seem to echo your guys' comments as well. Thank you all for your responses.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:49 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Builder, Additions, large remodels...Lately also small remodels.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2eoj View Post
I probably hate bureaucracy more than anyone but I can't dance.

I think even the best dancers would have a problem at our joint.
I just had an issue with the city. They told me I couldn't do something I wanted to do. I fought with them a little bit but then appeared to give up and do what they wanted.

I waited 4 weeks and it cost me a little bit of money to sit on it but then I came back armed to the teeth with code and legalities but hopeing to fool them and get my way without the fight.

This group never even questioned it. I got the permit I wanted in about 2 hours. It just goes to show if you can boogie and have some political savvy you can usually get your way, at least here.

It's like dealing with the cops (from a different lifetime), don't tell them $h!t, make them figure everything out on their own and you'll probably get set free. Make the inspectors and plans examiners figure everything out and they'll miss something. If they like you to begin with that'll only help.

Sorry, I'm a little intoximicated...

Wack
Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwacasey View Post
A savvy contractor can dance around permits that can waste his time and add unnecessary cost for a HO.I am not against liscence and permits for contractors that have not already proven themselves.I care more about MY customers than the government and their inspectors,that only care about their job.(generally speaking)
I have NO respect for a "contractor" who does not have a license in state that requires one. I think it is just a stupid plan. $75 a year is a waste? Come on get real.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwacasey View Post
Could you elaborate on which permits you are talking about that add unnecessary costs and waste a contractors time?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Could you elaborate on which permits you are talking about that add unnecessary costs and waste a contractors time?
Licenses,codes,and permits are there for the public's protection.They also help me establish price by putting forth the same standards for all to meet.To bypass these steps saying it's for the good of the customer is just plain wrong.It's only good for the hacks.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
I am too busy to worry about a liscense.
How much time can it take to get a license??

A licensed guy can do everything an unlicensed guy can do.