Quickbooks Pro Vs Quickbooks Contractor

Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #1

Trade: Excavating Accountant Intern
Rewards Points: 10

Quickbooks Pro Vs Quickbooks Contractor

Alright hello all, I am new to this site and my father has an Excavating business and right now I'm doing an internship and we are trying to figure out how to better his company.
Can anybody tell me if the quickbooks contractor edition is worth getting? We are currently using the Quickbooks premier accounting 2012 edition and cant quite figure out how to get it so the expenses show up for each job so we can see if we are losing or making money? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Re: Quickbooks Pro Vs Quickbooks Contractor

We use QB Contractor Pro.... There is a large learning curve with QB if you've never used anything like it before.

Set up a fake company in the practice mode and play around to your hearts content. You will learn a lot doing that. There isn't a whole lot QB won't do with regard to job costs, expensing, P&L's etc. You just need to learn how to navigate all of the different commands and get used to it.They also have an online help center built right into the software.

Failing all of that, your accountant should be well versed in all of the accounting/record keeping type software. ESPECIALLY one that's been around as long as QB. If you don't want to learn on your own, pay your accountant to come in and spend a half day with everyone. You'll be generating all kinds of reports and information in no time.

Complete Window and Door
Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Oh wait.... I just noticed your trade title says you ARE an accountant?

An EXCAVATING accountant no less.... and you don't know QB?!?

Complete Window and Door
Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,824

Contractor edition you can track insurance expiration dates for sub-contractors, your job cost ledger, etc.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor

Contractor edition,
We have used it for over 4 years now and love it.
Once you learn all it can do, It's great.
Does take A bit to learn it, But well worth it in the end.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 510

Have your CPA set it up for you and train you. Don't waist your time trying to figure it out yourself. It is pretty easy once it is setup correctly with the proper Chart of Accounts etc.

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #7

Trade: Excavating Accountant Intern

thank you everybody. I think we are gonna have to look into the contractor edition a little deeper, sounds like it is what we want. Right now I am actually finishing my schooling for small business management and have never done anything with quickbooks. I am doing my internship with an excavating business and the accountant is familiar with quickbooks but just wants to do some more in depth stuff but cant figure it out. Thanks again
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 11,466

It also automatically logs and prints change orders, has preset categories specific to contractors, great for setting up vendors and subcontractors, for payment schedules. It's really great for a GC, but I can see how it could be customized to any trade. I had my IT geek teach me the important stuff.

Each quarter I send an accountants copy via email to my book keeper and she fixes any of my f-ups and sends the file back to me so I can restore it with the fixes. Also you can keep track of all your subs Tax ID info, total payments and automatically print out 10-99's at the end of the year.

When the end of the year comes around all I give to my accountant is one piece of paper P&L for the year. Together with my bookkeeper and quickbooks it makes it much easier for him, which is nice because he charges a boatload of money by the hour.

Last edited by Californiadecks; 05-31-2013 at 11:17 PM.