Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Best bookkeeping software?

40K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  Constructive 
#1 ·
We're still a very small business, and we are about to buy our first bookkeeping computer program. I hear great things and terrible things about Quickbooks, so does anyone here have any specific advice on which software is best for a small remodeling company, since many of you are using your programs for the same processes I am? Our needs are simple: payroll, expense tracking, tracking materials for specific projects, invoices, etc. Do you have an accounting program that you find easy to use and meets your needs?

#2 ·
I bought QB Pro 2007 contractor edition. Not sure if i really needed the contractor edition or not.

My previous experience with bookkeeping software or even book keeping for that matter was absolutely zero.

I have a small landscaping business, and I use the QB basic payroll service. ($99 year).

I only had to call my accountant friend once to figure something out. Everything else I needed to know I figured out myself with the books Complete Guide To QB Pro 2007 and a book on accounting.

If I had it to do all over again-I'd do it the exact same way.

I don't think I'm qualified to recommend to you what to use, but as a complete noob to bookkeeping and bookkeeping software, I like it.

#4 ·
The trouble with software, especially in our business, is that we look for it to do things our way right out of the box.

You're only going to get out of it what you put in, and knowing what to put in, and how, is the real key to unlocking the power of any piece of software.

My advice? Quickbooks and a Quickbooks Pro Adviser with lots of remodeling construction experience. The money you pay up front for their expertise will be well spent.

They know what the software can do and how to make it do it. They know how to set things up to work your way. They also know when your way is not the simplest way. We have a couple of folks here that post regularly. Contact them and talk with them. There is nothing as satisfying as throwing an expert at the problem and watching them work.

#14 ·
I used it a few years ago and quit because I was too lazy to learn and understand it.:wallbash: Any accounting takes discipline and some required work. (Like ACT customer management software. Works great if you understand it and really use it)

Like others suggested, spend the money to have your CPA advise set it up to be friendly for both you and "for them" too, if you intend to stay with them. At tax time they can generate reports in the fashion they need and not mess around converting, massaging, and separating accounts and line items. Years back I kept my books in Lotus123 and my attorney/tax guru said he loved the extra billable hours I created for him by using such a dumb system as I had "designed".

#6 ·
My Vote Quick books!

I have run several companies from 1-8 million and we use quick books.

The main thing and most important is to find an accountant that does contractor accounting. And mainly in your field of work.

You can hire one of his girls to set it up and then you can get the help you need when you need it.

Also always get more than a one man band accountant. Use a firm that has multiple accounting workers. Good Luck it is easier than you think.

#10 ·
Quickbooks hands down ... it is more than I think most people in this industry will need but will grow with your skill level. Easy to learn interface with pictures. With the help of our CPA there is no task I have ever not been able to run.

Computer and bookkeeping experience will definitely help you. Have your accountant take care of your end of quarter reporting and fix what you mess up prior to sending it into the government.

#11 ·
Try on line, you don't need to be limited to your geographic area for consulting. Free Q & A sessions each month as well as clases and I have supported users on this site for about 3 years. I offer business consulting for contractors as well as training in software. Simple question, post here and you'll probably get a good answer, if you don't, I'll probably see it and correct it.

#12 ·
I have seen many contractors totally happy with Quickbooks and I have seen others who are miserable. The bottom line is that it's an inexpensive way to keep your books. There are many construction specific accounting products out there that will make you a little (or a lot in some cases) happier, but you just have to weigh that against the extra cost involved. For the most part, Quickbooks will get it done, you just have to jump through a few extra hoops!

#15 ·
bookkeeping magic

just purchased QB for Mac and it is pretty limited. I am also a freelance stylist and so have a need to track alot of expenses. With QB you have to translate that and it's clunky.
Worse, it only allows for one user or "company". My husband is also an independent contractor, so I was hoping to track things for both of us-not possible with QB.

#16 ·
just purchased QB for Mac and it is pretty limited. I am also a freelance stylist and so have a need to track alot of expenses. With QB you have to translate that and it's clunky.
Worse, it only allows for one user or "company". My husband is also an independent contractor, so I was hoping to track things for both of us-not possible with QB.
Jamesnve
The Mac version is pretty limited. The Windows version is much more robust.

I'm not a Mac user, but do know that a lot of our clients create a windows environment on their Macs and then install the QuickBooks for Windows version and are pretty darn happy.

The Windows version will allow you to have more than one "company", but depending on your license, you may only be allowed to have the program installed on one computer, which means you can work in your file and your husband can work in his; but you can only have one company open at a time.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
QuickBooks For Contractors

Hello Matt,
We have used a number of construction accounting software packages beginning in 1991 ranging in cost from $50 to over $50,000.
None of them are perfect; they all have strengths and weaknesses so it depends on what you want from the software.

Some contractors want to keep track of the balance in their bank account so all they need is QuickBooks Pro. This version of QuickBooks does some simple reports and other things you would need to keep track of your income and expenses

For remodel contractors like yourself you may want to consider QuickBooks For Contractors.

Please let me know if this helped

Warm Regards,

Randal

#19 ·
You can consider using either Peachtree or QuickBooks. Both Peachtree and QuickBooks accounting software are top class software that makes accounting easier. Choosing one of them depends on what specifications you are looking for, as no two software programs can have hundred percent identical specifications. But, it is best to host your software on cloud. Cloud hosting of either Peachtree or QuickBooks accounting software offers enormous benefits to users. With cloud computing, you get super-fast and remote accessibility for multiple users, utmost security, high reliability, extreme scalability, rolling data backup, and 24 by 7 support services without any charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.