Sarco Putty (glazing Compound)

Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple

Sarco Putty (glazing Compound)

Gonna try out Sarco Putty for the first time on these windows. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it from other window restoration folks. Had to try it out for myself. This stuff is made in Chicago and is supposed to be superior to the others. I'll let you know what I think after these few windows.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Whipple For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-25-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 94

Re: Sarco Putty (glazing Compound)

Why is it that ever thread I'm interested in gets half of the text blocked by the stupid ads on the side of the page?

Tom Struble (04-25-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 538

so, how did it go?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Rewards Points: 3,140

Yeah, how did it go?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Preserving the Past

Well since there's some interest, the first thing to know is there are 2 types of Sarco putty. One is Sarco dual glaze and the other is Type "M". Dual glaze is for both wood and metal sash and Type "M" is for wood sash only.

My first batch of windows was done with dual glaze. I figured if I was going to buy 2 gallons of it I would get something that would work for everything. This glazing is really oily and sticky to the point that I absolutely hated it. With talking to several other window restoration folks it seemed to be a popular conclusion and I was told to try the type "M" before giving up on Sarco putty.

The next batch of windows I did were done with type "M" and was a much easier putty to use. It tools great and can be painted almost immediately. The dual glaze had to sit for a little over a week before it could be painted.

I will use type "M" from now on. It's way better in my opinion that the DAP product and has a greater life span according to many window restoration experts. The dual glaze is still needed for metal sash because of the extra oils for adhesion but I don't get a big calling for that type of work.

All in all, Sarco putty Type "M" gets a huge thumbs up from me and I'll continue to use it from now on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Whipple For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (05-29-2012), jhark123 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Rewards Points: 3,140

Thanks a bunch. I am getting to where I hate the Dap stuff. Too much inconsistency. One tub is great, next tub is all runny, next tub is dry as a bone, which I suppose I prefer to the runny tubs.

I was reading the specs on the "M" putty and it said to only be used in a shop setting? Any idea why? I need it for service work.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Thanks a bunch. I am getting to where I hate the Dap stuff. Too much inconsistency. One tub is great, next tub is all runny, next tub is dry as a bone, which I suppose I prefer to the runny tubs.

I was reading the specs on the "M" putty and it said to only be used in a shop setting? Any idea why? I need it for service work.
I guess it's out for me too.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Trade: Old house restoration
Rewards Points: 10

Fellas ~ I'm new to this site, and have really enjoyed looking around and seeing what's here. Lots of helpful stuff.

Just looking at Jason's sash pictures makes me almost ashamed to post what I'm about to... But, here it is - I am seriously considering replacing the windows in a current restoration project. I've never before considered such a thing, have always opted to repair, rework, reuse the originals. All the windows in the 1906 house I live in are what I call, brand new, 100 year old windows.

With the house project I'm posting about [1915/? bungalow], I own it as [rental] investment property. I recently removed the front door, brought it home, removed the glass [& glaze], removed all paint, sanded, refinished; then milled pieces to hold the glass in place, rather than glaze, and did the same thing with the one top-light and two side-lights. I detest glazing compound. But I mention this simply to illustrate the time and trouble I've always taken to restore, rather than replace...and here I am saying that I'm thinking about removing the old sashes and replacing them rather than repair them.

They are a horrible mess: Nearly every top sash needs a support piece in the jamb to hold it in place; caulk was used [in gracious amounts] as glaze by previous owner, so you can imagine that atrocity; and only two of ten open, as the others have all been caulked closed. Worse than a horrible mess, huh?

So, I'm weighing the cost of new windows, against the time & trouble [cost] of fixing these, and looking at the benefit of increased energy efficiency.
Will welcome your comments!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Why don't you post some pictures of the windows?

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,692

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonFields View Post
Fellas ~ I'm new to this site, and have really enjoyed looking around and seeing what's here. Lots of helpful stuff.

Just looking at Jason's sash pictures makes me almost ashamed to post what I'm about to... But, here it is - I am seriously considering replacing the windows in a current restoration project. I've never before considered such a thing, have always opted to repair, rework, reuse the originals. All the windows in the 1906 house I live in are what I call, brand new, 100 year old windows.

With the house project I'm posting about [1915/? bungalow], I own it as [rental] investment property. I recently removed the front door, brought it home, removed the glass [& glaze], removed all paint, sanded, refinished; then milled pieces to hold the glass in place, rather than glaze, and did the same thing with the one top-light and two side-lights. I detest glazing compound. But I mention this simply to illustrate the time and trouble I've always taken to restore, rather than replace...and here I am saying that I'm thinking about removing the old sashes and replacing them rather than repair them.

They are a horrible mess: Nearly every top sash needs a support piece in the jamb to hold it in place; caulk was used [in gracious amounts] as glaze by previous owner, so you can imagine that atrocity; and only two of ten open, as the others have all been caulked closed. Worse than a horrible mess, huh?

So, I'm weighing the cost of new windows, against the time & trouble [cost] of fixing these, and looking at the benefit of increased energy efficiency.
Will welcome your comments!
Dimensions of the windows come into play. Usually I recommend rebuilding the windows and putting on storm windows to get the energy efficiency. Cheaper up front and cheaper in the long run, even if you hire it out to someone who is good (ignoring having to get custom replacement pieces milled). Also, energy efficiency is typicall better than vinyl with double pane. If you're dealing with double hung, the storm windows I've used don't allow airflow through the top and bottom at the same time - the uppers are frequently caulked shut to cut down on air infiltration, and that unpredictable element - the occupant. Had one where all the double hungs were restored, and the occupant put all the top sashes down and bottom sashes up - then it rained...
Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #11

Trade: Old house restoration
Rewards Points: 10

hdavis,

Yes - very helpful reminder to consider storm windows rather than replacements. I do think that's the way to go. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
Preserving the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post

My guess would be because it has less oils and more calcium carbonate. The extra oils in dual glaze probably help with bonding in outdoor conditions and the type M will work in a controlled environment. It's certainly what I prefer as most of my work is in the shop and I get a lot more done with type M.