Web Site Review For The New Year

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 998

Web Site Review For The New Year

OK so lets hear it. Take a look at my web site and let me know what I need to improve for the new year. Contemplating hiring a company to redo the site if need be. I built this site well over a year ago and I tinker with it every so often. I would like it to rank higher in a Google search, don't we all want this for our sites.

http://www.gastekservices.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 554

Re: Web Site Review For The New Year

Quote:
OK so lets hear it. Take a look at my web site and let me know what I need to improve for the new year.
Great Job!

- Get a proper header graphic. (remove what you have) this will bring everything "up" the page more if you incorporate your phone etc.. into the graphic.

- Move your "Blog News" widget DOWN and the form UP.

- Add service areas into your page meta titles.

- Make it easier for your customers to review you on your social profiles.

- Where is Google+/Facebook/YouTube?

- Tidy up the contact form...

You've got the bones for a good site for what you do, I think some polish would make you a happy camper with the results, especially if it brought you business over the last year.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,502

I would have it themed, but aside from that your page titles should take advantage of a location in them, where do you want to do pool repairs? Put that in the title.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Architect Assistant:
Rewards Points: 1,732

My only crit is with all these great digital cameras that are around now, you might take a clearer picture to use as your head-line photo. Right now yours is slightly blurry.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

As a site for users, I think it's outstanding. It's clear what you do, who you are, where you work. Whether or not it's effectively designed for SEO, I don't know. I'm getting to be a broken record on the subject, but I think Google is out to kill SEO as a means to avoid paying for ads. People who want a pool heater will search for it and click on a paid ad. Your ad (no, I didn't click on it) is in the right place.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Licensed Gas contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
My only crit is with all these great digital cameras that are around now, you might take a clearer picture to use as your head-line photo. Right now yours is slightly blurry.
That was a "borrowed" picture. I have since today, removed that picture all together. I am instead going with a header image with my company logo along with s few words and my phone number. As suggested by carlsore. At least I hope I did it right. I need to get a graphics package to clean it up a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to gastek For This Useful Post:
Reg (01-03-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Licensed Gas contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
As a site for users, I think it's outstanding. It's clear what you do, who you are, where you work. Whether or not it's effectively designed for SEO, I don't know. I'm getting to be a broken record on the subject, but I think Google is out to kill SEO as a means to avoid paying for ads. People who want a pool heater will search for it and click on a paid ad. Your ad (no, I didn't click on it) is in the right place.
Yes I am also running an Adwords ad and sometimes pay dearly for it, literately. Seems to me Google wants more of this to line their pockets.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

I like it as is...sure It could use a small change here or there, but you give a ton of into in a small space....

its better than most
Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 276

I would make your phone number wherever it is "clickable" so that mobile users can contact you more easily. I hate it when I am driving and trying to call a number from a website and I have to cut and paste it or remember it then dial it. I would also try to make the Font on the top right sharper, it looks fuzzy. Those links in the footer look like link spam. Otherwise i think your site is great. [CODE]<a href="tel:+1-813-335-7491">813-335-7491</a>[/CODE]
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Licensed Gas contractor

I just re-worked the header today. Previous one was pretty bland. I can't figure out why it looks great as I create it and then when I uploaded it to my site, Wordpress, it looks blurry. I used Gimp to create it and tried it as a jpg and a png file type and still it looks blurry. So I'm still searching out how to resolve this.

I would have to see if there is a way to make just the phone number clickable seeing as all of the header is one big image.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Pro

There are sliders out now a days that are more then just picture sliders. They can tell a story, send a message, or promote your service. I use this one on one of my sites, http://themes.themepunch.com/?theme=revolution_wp , there are limitless uses, I think it would be a nice touch on your site with a message, whatever it is, .....Is your pool water FREEZING .....we can install ....or fix

Check it out they add tons of class if done right imo.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
Licensed Gas contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post

- Tidy up the contact form...

You've got the bones for a good site for what you do, I think some polish would make you a happy camper with the results, especially if it brought you business over the last year.
What do you mean by "tidy up the contact form? Is there a better one I should use?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,486

Is there a way to make the credit card logos not so big? For a minute there, I thought you were pimping Visa and M.C..

Another thing, maybe, include the price of a service call on page one. P.1 was a bit wordy about you. Granted, self discription is necessary, but somehow, I would try to figure a way to word it to show how Gastek would behoove the prospect. I think you could get your message across a little better without as many words.

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to be a critic, especially when you factor that we aren't doing any of the work. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 554

Quote:
What do you mean by "tidy up the contact form? Is there a better one I should use?
I mean it needs to look better and be streamlined a little bit... Gravity Forms is probably one of the better form plugins for WP, I don't even mess with anything else.

Every field you have on your contact form creates resistance to your visitor.

Name
Email
Phone
Subject <---- Remove (you should be able to auto-set this)
Your Message <-- Change this...
Spambot <---- Remove
Send Button <--- Change this...

You are asking your visitor to do extra work and you don't need either of those pieces of information, especially if you're using a good forms plugin.

My form would look like this

Let's Fix Your Pool Heater <--- Call to action above the form.

Name
Email
Phone
How We Can Help You? <--- Much better than just "Your Message".
Send Your Request Now! <--- Another call to action (even better to use a graphic)

By going that route you've essentially removed more than 30% (2 fields) of the friction in your optin process. Ideally you probably want people to phone you but these changes will make a measurable difference in your email requests if you are tracking it.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
Licensed Gas contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post
I mean it needs to look better and be streamlined a little bit... Gravity Forms is probably one of the better form plugins for WP, I don't even mess with anything else.

Every field you have on your contact form creates resistance to your visitor.

Name
Email
Phone
Subject <---- Remove (you should be able to auto-set this)
Your Message <-- Change this...
Spambot <---- Remove
Send Button <--- Change this...

You are asking your visitor to do extra work and you don't need either of those pieces of information, especially if you're using a good forms plugin.

My form would look like this

Let's Fix Your Pool Heater <--- Call to action above the form.

Name
Email
Phone
How We Can Help You? <--- Much better than just "Your Message".
Send Your Request Now! <--- Another call to action (even better to use a graphic)

By going that route you've essentially removed more than 30% (2 fields) of the friction in your optin process. Ideally you probably want people to phone you but these changes will make a measurable difference in your email requests if you are tracking it.
Thanks carlsore! I will work on this change.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
Licensed Gas contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Is there a way to make the credit card logos not so big? For a minute there, I thought you were pimping Visa and M.C..

Another thing, maybe, include the price of a service call on page one. P.1 was a bit wordy about you. Granted, self discription is necessary, but somehow, I would try to figure a way to word it to show how Gastek would behoove the prospect. I think you could get your message across a little better without as many words.

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to be a critic, especially when you factor that we aren't doing any of the work. Good luck.
I thought about the adding the price of a service call to the page but I don't want to eliminate people because they might think I'm too expensive. Hopefully they will call me and in talking to them they will see the value I have to fixing their problem and price won't be an issue.

I'll see if I can de-word my description a bit. It could turn some people off with too many words that they would stop reading.

I made the credit card logo smaller. Too small and it would be hard to recognize.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #17
Licensed Gas contractor

carlsore,

I updated my contact form and took your advice on removing the spambot but now I get spam emails. Is there anyway yo eliminate these without adding back the spambot? I don't think there is but I thought I would ask.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
Pro

You would need to block other countries on the server level.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
Licensed Gas contractor

I installed a plugin for this so I'll find out how well it works. It sure seemed like a pain to set it up selecting each and every country to exclude.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
Pro

I had that plugin and eventually disabled it. Doing it on the server level is the best I have been able to come up with, but you need a webguy to do it.

Advertisement