Site Visits And Seasonality.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Renovation Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Site Visits And Seasonality.

My site is coming up on its 4th month online. Over the last three weeks I have noticed a steady decline in site traffic. Since I only have around 4 months of data on Google Analytics I was wondering if someone could help me out. Have you noticed a drop the last few weeks?

Is it a holiday thing? It would be great to see four or five years of data from a decent site to really do some seasonality work. I know seasonality can vary from parts of the county. I am in Chicago. My Sister and Dad are in SW Florida. (painting and faux business) They get super busy this time of year when all the snow birds come to visit for the winter. How is it in your neck of the woods?

Any thoughts or data would be greatly appreciated. Jim

Advanced Renovations

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #2

Trade: Mold Remediation
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Site Visits And Seasonality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
My site is coming up on its 4th month online. Over the last three weeks I have noticed a steady decline in site traffic. Since I only have around 4 months of data on Google Analytics I was wondering if someone could help me out. Have you noticed a drop the last few weeks?

Is it a holiday thing? It would be great to see four or five years of data from a decent site to really do some seasonality work. I know seasonality can vary from parts of the county. I am in Chicago. My Sister and Dad are in SW Florida. (painting and faux business) They get super busy this time of year when all the snow birds come to visit for the winter. How is it in your neck of the woods?

Any thoughts or data would be greatly appreciated. Jim
Usually if you see a drop in visits that is that noticeable, then you are losing your online presence for some reason. Could be caused by a competitor beating you out in the search engines, or maybe you started off with a bang, and then as time went on you stopped posting on facebook and twitter as much etc, and now people aren't seeing your site. How are you doing as far as positioning on Google for your keywords? Are your keywords appropriate for the demographic that you are going after?

Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

Trade: media
Rewards Points: 10

Hi Jim. Congrats on developing such a nice-looking site. It looks as though you've done a good job integrating all your social media accounts (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc.), but I suspect that you could use these accounts better to drive traffic to your site.

Generally, I would suggest that you tweet more, be more active on Facebook, create a few simple new YouTube videos, and always link back to your site with any of these updates. You've got fantastic client testimonials, for instance. How about a daily tweet excerpting from a testimonial? Use bit.ly or some other URL shortener.

Also, do you send an eletter to your clients and community? If so, be sure to also provide plenty of links to the good content on your site.

Finally, I notice that you've got a LOT of towns in your "services area" footer. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that Google is getting wiser to what it can perceive as "keyword stuffing." Talk with your SEO team, as it's possible that listing all these areas may be hurting you as much as helping.

Good luck!
Leah

Last edited by Nathan; 12-05-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Renovation Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellExperts View Post
Usually if you see a drop in visits that is that noticeable, then you are losing your online presence for some reason. Could be caused by a competitor beating you out in the search engines, or maybe you started off with a bang, and then as time went on you stopped posting on facebook and twitter as much etc, and now people aren't seeing your site. How are you doing as far as positioning on Google for your keywords? Are your keywords appropriate for the demographic that you are going after?
Thanks for the response. Actually over the last few weeks I have really started to gain some traction in different markets. I feel my rankings have actually improved over the last month. This is why I'm curious about seasonality.
I am sort of assuming a correlation between the holidays and my lack of visits.....but this could be a bad assumption. Actually my conversion rate have been fantastic for the limited number of hits I'm getting.
Thanks for the well thought out response. I really do need to start posting to facebook and tweeting more. Jim

Advanced Renovations
Old 12-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Renovation Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah at d5R View Post
Hi Jim. Congrats on developing such a nice-looking site. It looks as though you've done a good job integrating all your social media accounts (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc.), but I suspect that you could use these accounts better to drive traffic to your site.

Generally, I would suggest that you tweet more, be more active on Facebook, create a few simple new YouTube videos, and always link back to your site with any of these updates. You've got fantastic client testimonials, for instance. How about a daily tweet excerpting from a testimonial? Use bit.ly or some other URL shortener.

Also, do you send an eletter to your clients and community? If so, be sure to also provide plenty of links to the good content on your site.

Finally, I notice that you've got a LOT of towns in your "services area" footer. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that Google is getting wiser to what it can perceive as "keyword stuffing." Talk with your SEO team, as it's possible that listing all these areas may be hurting you as much as helping.

Good luck!
Leah
Thanks for the kind words. I will for sure start posting to facebook and tweeting more. I have a youtube video in the works. Should be ready about this time next week. The newsletter is something I am working on as well. I don't have a huge e-mail list yet but I need to start somewhere.
The services area has been discussed and pointed out on my site many times. I am sort of afraid to just remove it entirely. It actually used to be way worse if you can believe that. I will give it some more thought.

Thanks so much for the response! Jim

Advanced Renovations

Last edited by Nathan; 12-05-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,018

Thanksgiving has always been the cutoff for the phone in masonry, and it has this year without fail as well.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
tile mason

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling and custom tile projects
Rewards Points: 1,000

Moms searching for discounts on iPhones and where she can still find the Barbi Dream House for sale for the holiday rather than searching for a remodeling contractor.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

Trade: Roofing

Very interesting topic! Our traffic starts to decrease alittle around this time of year. I imagine a lot of contractors site trafficwill slow down this time of year for the holidays.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Thanksgiving for me as well. As for Google analytics, this is a good reference but no where close to being accurate but there are some great tools. for instance, I looked up activity thru yahoo which hosts one of my sites and then referenced Google analytics....the numbers were way low for every day on analytics as compared to my host.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Renovation Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
Thanksgiving for me as well. As for Google analytics, this is a good reference but no where close to being accurate but there are some great tools. for instance, I looked up activity thru yahoo which hosts one of my sites and then referenced Google analytics....the numbers were way low for every day on analytics as compared to my host.
Interesting. I never thought the Google numbers could be off. Thanks! Jim

Advanced Renovations
Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #11

Trade: Mold Remediation
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Thanksgiving has always been the cutoff for the phone in masonry, and it has this year without fail as well.
Usually towards the end of October is when we start slowing down...surprisingly though we are still getting jobs in the middle of December. I am gonna say that it has something to do with the weather because it has still been warm enough to see mold growth.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #12

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 10

I would think that interest in contractors drops off in cold weather.

I would feature, on the front page of your site, the jobs that are common during cold weather. Even offer a special.

People like to see content relevant to the season. So does Googs.