Content Writing Options For Website Pages - Websites and SEO - Contractor Talk

Content Writing Options For Website Pages

Old 03-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,146

Content Writing Options For Website Pages

Hi all,

I do a tremendous amount of content writing, but I personally stick to the content writing for the premium projects my clients do. As I work with more website companies and individual website programmers, I find many time there is a backlog when it comes to creating unique web page content, or many time the web pages look so cookie-cutter oriented.

I enjoy when new website marketing customers are able to take a moment and write just a little about their specific services. I then am able to amplify those words with all the Marketing and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) topics. The customer's involvement allows a website to be unique and personalized.

Unfortunately not everyone is comfortable writing, sometimes the folk just do not have the time to do the writing. I have been researching some content writing companies and am curious if anyone has experience with them, or any others to throw into the mix.

I have no experience with these companies other than me hiring individual content writers, but I want to expand my portfolio of options.

One option is called https://www.writeraccess.com/platform-pricing/
They offer options based on word count pricing, from 4 cents to 10 cents a word depending on the ratings of the writers. I took a few random pages from client sites and came up with 500 words as an average. I then selected the 8 cents a word option and can see $40 for a service page being very fair. Only limitation I see trying this option is the $39 month access fee, but that is relatively low if you need some assistance creating pages for a new site as well as having someone write the content every month or two or three as time progress.

Another option is https://bunnyinc.com/writing/how-it-works/#/
They are just a little more expensive and a 400 word page is priced at $65. No monthly fees from what I can see.

And a last option I found is http://thesalescopylab.com/ but the pricing is just too high to even consider since it seems they have a minimum fixed price of $260 per page up to 750 words. Maybe they are good, but I do not see that being a reasonable option for our industry.

Anyone have comments on Content Writing either by themselves, hiring others or using their website companies? And if you have used another business or person related to this industry, please share whatever you feel can be competitive to the above. Thanks.
Rio (03-09-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #2

Trade: roofer
Rewards Points: 110

Re: Content Writing Options For Website Pages

Ho hum.

Chuck

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
Kitchen Cabinets and Tile

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets, Countertops, Tile
Rewards Points: 80

I don't like writing either, but I like writing bullet points. So, if your clients aren't comfortable coming up with full sentences, maybe you can suggest bullet points. I guess they can be helpful, or at least better than nothing. On another note, we tried with writers on one writing platform, but that didn't go well. Keyword research was crucial and these writers are not skilled for that part. So we hired an internet marketing agency and our website ranks much better then before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeArt For This Useful Post:
MOTB (03-09-2018), Rio (03-09-2018)

Old 08-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

This continues to be a challenge when we are creating new websites. The good content writers all seem to be busy and sometimes waiting to get onto the schedule can be a little frustrating.

Some other content I see is sometimes too generic that it looks cookie cutter type of writing.

I now have gotten it pretty well organized that, for those who are comfortable doing a little writing on their own, they can create some really personalized unique content that also helps out with the optimization process for search engines.

Here is a contractor I just finished working with who never wrote their own stuff. I organized a flow for them for pictures, the story and customer reviews too. Broke it down to amplify services and locations and think it came out pretty good. New site has been live for a few months now and the rankings are doing good, and that is before they are now working on the social stuff, new reviews and videos.

I think it came out really nice and informative.

Services Write Up

Location Write Up
Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,638

Is it me or are websites/video's leaning more toward brevity?

While it looks nice, that's a lot of text to read/sort through... almost like getting a booklet instead of a flyer explaining your services... ain't got no time for dat...

One of the things that will tick me off as a reader is reading a headline that says something like "8 Reasons kitchen renovations go over budget", for example, I click on it, and instead of taking me to a complete article complete with the bullet points covering what I was expecting, it gives me a partial page with a link to another page I now have to jump through to get to the content... and then it's smaller text, or a page-by-page droning through, or has a lock on it that you have to register for...
Old 08-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post

While it looks nice, that's a lot of text to read/sort through... almost like getting a booklet instead of a flyer explaining your services... ain't got no time for dat...
There is no perfect answer .... that is why we have more text in the actual description of the service, and just pictures on the gallery. Then the About Us goes into the varying directions of the people themselves, the process, etc. But Yes, sometimes brevity and sometimes detail to cover the differences of how people are searching. And also this is very specific towards the services too. Someone spending a lot on a Whole Home Renovation will probably be researching more than looking to paint a room.

And the videos should be kept short since that seems to be more effective in the 1 to 2 minute range when it comes to getting a consumer to listen.

Thanks for the comment!
KAP (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,128

Quote:

Brevity doesn't separate you from the competition. There are generally 5-7 bullet points every body uses and has become vanilla flavored pablum, meh. Nor does it attract ideal customers. Unless tire kickers is your gig. With So many higher ranking sites doing the same thing, having other tactics to rank above them, while wordier, isn't a bad idea.

Just because technology has seemingly bastardized a traditional pamphlet approach or is it the viewer is just lazy, doesn't mean a time tested marketing type display is bad. Worked for a fledgling chimney repair company back in '86. Pamphlets and traditional media was all there was. Owner was a brilliant marketing guy. Been following them since. Wildly successful, ranks #1 in all of the areas they cover. His website, reads just like the original pamphlets from back in '86. But with so much more info within a click.

To each his own, but MOTB's examples seem to have the potential to work on many many levels. IF there is a sttrong marketing strategy in place. Beyond just trying to rank #1
Old 08-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Brevity doesn't separate you from the competition. There are generally 5-7 bullet points every body uses and has become vanilla flavored pablum, meh. Nor does it attract ideal customers. Unless tire kickers is your gig. With So many higher ranking sites doing the same thing, having other tactics to rank above them, while wordier, isn't a bad idea.

Just because technology has seemingly bastardized a traditional pamphlet approach or is it the viewer is just lazy, doesn't mean a time tested marketing type display is bad. Worked for a fledgling chimney repair company back in '86. Pamphlets and traditional media was all there was. Owner was a brilliant marketing guy. Been following them since. Wildly successful, ranks #1 in all of the areas they cover. His website, reads just like the original pamphlets from back in '86. But with so much more info within a click.

To each his own, but MOTB's examples seem to have the potential to work on many many levels. IF there is a sttrong marketing strategy in place. Beyond just trying to rank #1
Unless I can't find it on page one, I don't generally go past page one... that, in itself, is usually a good indicator of someone having their marketing in order... ranking on the first page tells you a bunch of things...

Consider though... We're inundated with screens... we're mostly headline readers and skimmers... that was kind of where I was coming from... I was looking at the site as a user, not someone in business, which is why I posted the examples I did to give relevant feedback from that perspective... Like I said, it looks nice... to me, it's the difference between a cohesive message, and one that is information heavy... there's LOTS of information you can give, but organizing it all to a call to action is the point of them being there in the first place... otherwise, it's like you're at a home show... people collecting bags of info and give-aways that they're most likely going to throw-away... when we do a home show, we're there to field questions, sort the tire kickers, but most importantly, set appointments...

But everybody's different...

Last edited by KAP; 08-29-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
we're mostly headline readers and skimmers... that was kind of where I was coming from...
I have another customer who is more comfortable along the lines you are expressing where we go through the content, and rather than writing and talking about the pictures, they do the same in a video. Is this more your cup of tea?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
I have another customer who is more comfortable along the lines you are expressing where we go through the content, and rather than writing and talking about the pictures, they do the same in a video. Is this more your cup of tea?
Like I said... everybody's different... no offense to your work at all...

Sorry if it came across any other way than providing a perspective...
Old 08-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Sorry if it came across any other way than providing a perspective...
Actually I saw it like you were saying. But thanks for saying "sorry" even though it wasn't needed. By now you know my skin is a little thicker here being on the forums. Have a nice Labor Day weekend too.
KAP (08-30-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #12

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 36

The best investment you can make is to learn for yourself and write the content for yourself whether it’s a service page or blog post. No one knows your business better than you do!
The Following User Says Thank You to buildercn For This Useful Post:
MOTB (09-02-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #13

Trade: cabinetmaker
Rewards Points: 2

What about Upwork?
I think many of those companies offering copywriting just resell it from freelancers.

I haven't personally use it but I will try it this year
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildercn View Post
The best investment you can make is to learn for yourself and write the content for yourself whether itís a service page or blog post. No one knows your business better than you do!
Then possibly have a professional copy writer refine it, if you have the funds and want a real polished concise message. Problem is most contractors are not literary word smiths. It is crazy what a skilled copy writer can do.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,820

You have to look at your page flow in analytics as well. If too many people land on a page and bounce, problem, but if (like my site) they Land on a page then goto about us or gallery, well done.

Websites take a lot of data Into account
Old 09-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #16

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Then possibly have a professional copy writer refine it, if you have the funds and want a real polished concise message. Problem is most contractors are not literary word smiths. It is crazy what a skilled copy writer can do.
Good argument - I've never hired someone for this type of exercise, what would it typically run you?

Advertisement