No Service Magic

Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Mark

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

No Service Magic

Has anyone had any experiance with service magic.I have and it is a complete rip off .I joined about 5 months ago and it lasted 1 week they were sending me phone #'s of people who dont pick up the phone or reply to emails. i had one lady say she was just on there website looking for pictures and i still got charged for the lead. just wanted to see if i was the only one that got sucked in to the bull.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: roofing,siding,gutters,windows
Rewards Points: 250

Re: No Service Magic

Now you can learn from this.

Anybody that calls you and tells you how they can get all this business for you is full of BS.

If you want leads, go and get them your self!

Advertisement

Doubleoh7 (12-02-2010), kcremodeling (12-04-2010), painting247 (10-27-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

Trade: Home renovations
Rewards Points: 10

Don.t believe what they promise,I lost about $450,00 in a week, they charge you credit card when ever they want,and sometimes when you hold the coustemer,you have to compete with 50 or more conrtractors..
They said leads is only for 3 contractors....stay away from them...
I used Respond years ago and worked pretty good, but now they also want your credit card to charge you for any lead....
Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Siding Wizard

Trade: General contractor/Siding Contractor

Do not get involved with them,they are a rip off!!!!!!!!!! I received numbers that were disconnected, I received addresses that did not exist...

They sell you these leads that are fabricated and are not held respondible..If you went in their office and clipped their copy machine you can be arrested , I feel when they give false leads they are stealing from all contractors as soon as they charge our credit cards, there needs to be some justice when it comes to internet lead companies...If you add up all the bogus leads they charged all the contractors across the country with ,there should be enough proof that they are stealing from us and should be shut down...just a thought
Old 04-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Dave from Macatawa

Trade: GC, cabinet maker and remodeler

you need to learn to use the search function on this site and your questions about SM will all be answered ad nauseum
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Mark

Well I'm new to this site and dont know all the ins and outs of it yet but
thanks for the info
Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Cabinetry

I've never been on the end of Service Magic where you purchase leads. I have made money with their affiliate program though.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Before everyone knows their secrets, Service Magic has been made million$$ out of innocent poor victims.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: We perform landscape design and construction
Rewards Points: 75

What was once good has turned to s--t!!!!! I would have been with them for 5 years. What I do is use the old emails and addresses for mailings and emails. Even though they didn't use you or another contractor I'm in their faces and I have gotten work from a lead I saw two years ago.

All lead services print their own money using our credit cards, it's a home run. There is no government agency watching this industry because we never join together and file class actions against these companies.

You can't help them ,we the contractors fall for their line of false promises and the ease of getting leads doing nothing but sitting on our asses on the computer and calling to show up and close the deal.

Well it's 2009 the Obama Nation is here and we need to get off our asses and get leads the old fashion way we used to do it. Mailings, to new and old clients, networking, churches, groups, joining trade organizations etc again.

This is a whole new world out there, we used to never call back clients and they begged us to come over and work, well now with the web there are 25 guys bidding on one job that was sold 50 times to all the lead companies.

I'm doing door hangers and contacting old clients and new move ins.

When it gets tough, the tough get going or are going out of business.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevelsc8721 For This Useful Post:
doorrepairsac (02-08-2011)
Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: All Trades

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with SM Steve. I'm glad to see your follow up with the leads from a couple of years ago worked out for you as following up is a very important process in your sales cycle. SM depends on websites and forums like these to help us see where we are coming up short and what we can do to better our services. Please feel free to message me with any feedback or concerns you have.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMsupport View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with SM Steve. I'm glad to see your follow up with the leads from a couple of years ago worked out for you as following up is a very important process in your sales cycle. SM depends on websites and forums like these to help us see where we are coming up short and what we can do to better our services. Please feel free to message me with any feedback or concerns you have.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 04-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

SMsupport, thats a good one, damage control on one hand while its business as usual with the other hand.
It will only get worse for SM, who is now partnered with NARI and some of the trade mags. Only a clueless NARI idiot would make a deal with the devil and SM found that clueless idiot.
The Following User Says Thank You to silvertree For This Useful Post:
wrenchboy7243 (11-27-2009)
Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

I guess SM is googleing the internet to find out why they suck.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

Last edited by A W Smith; 04-21-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #14

Trade: Remodeling contractor

I think it depends on your market. I live in a little town 45 minutes out of Austin and I do pretty well with it. I only get a handful a month because I'm picky. I have had pretty good success getting credit back for bad leads as well. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #15

Trade: Painting

I agree with SK you can do pretty well depending upon area, I have been with Service Magic for just a short while now and I have gotten my fair share of bad leads but they seem to be ok when it comes to the credits although I haven't gotten credit for everything I think I should have. I have a couple of leads that just will never callback or answer the phone and they won't credit for that. If I can't get ahold of them it's not a lead....I think that the follow up is a good quality also, I have gotten into a couple of jobs that way, the other contractors that I am competing with just never got back to the clients, my relentless hounding of them actually has landed me the job before.

As for SM support saying he's here to "help' us with dissecting the program, I don't buy it!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General

Hmmn, SMsupport doesn't have any contact information listed...do you think it was a real SM rep?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
Organic Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I would not care if the Pope got on here to give them credit, I had so many stupid leads that I talked to every paint contractor that went on them and none of us got them... Also I am not sure how many times because it was so often the prospect said service ripoff called them to see if they were interested in a painting bid or any bid of any type, the people told me they had us come out since it was free, but they were not interested in doing anything soon.

SO screw SM...
Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 AM   #18
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Man you guys are harsh. Those nice people take time out of their busy lives to call me nearly everyday.

We used to do pretty well with them but the whole program went south for us and they didn't seem to have any real interest in fixing problems. Aside from junk leads I discovered that they were using my company name to lead search engines back to their website. Also they will charge your account for every lead and take your cash but only issue a credit for another lead if you prevail on a bum lead claim. (which takes stamina) I view that as someone stealing your steak but returning a cold french fry when they get caught.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: All Trades

Thank you for the responses. EasyMoney, I am a real SM employee looking to help and have updated my profile with my direct email address. Please contact me anytime.

We recognize that message boards are a place where our customers come to have a dialogue about our service. Those of you who are members know that we are pretty aggressive in capturing surveys, because good, bad or indifferent we want to know whatís happening out there. When the feedback is bad or indifferent, we want to take the opportunity to reach out to our members to address their concerns. Thatís what Iím doing here Ė hoping to open a dialogue and offer help if possible.

SKBuilders and MyLar1040, itís great to hear you are having success! DavidC and Mr. Mike, Iím sorry to hear you didnít have a positive experience with us. Iíd like to get some more specific feedback from you about the problems you encountered. Please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Thanks for your time,

Shawn
Old 04-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #20
Mark

Hey sm support if you really want to help give me back my 150 dollars
for the so called leads that i got that didn't lead anywere.
It was a real learning experiance and i would never recommend service magic to anyone

Advertisement

Curb Guy (04-23-2009), Jason@API (01-24-2011)