HomeAdvisor Purchasing Angie's List

Old 05-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,492

HomeAdvisor Purchasing Angie's List

Well finally after Angie's List not making money for the majority of it's life, it is being absorbed by HomeAdvisor parent company IAC as being reported all over the place this morning.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ut-500-million

Of course nothing is a done deal until it closes, but the stock market seems to think this will happen.

So how will this work?

Well for one thing I think it will be terrible for the contractors who agree to the Terms and Conditions which I have discussed for many years now.

The reasoning is now the information you give free reign to for one company will immediately be available to the other company. So basically signing up for HomeAdvisor will eventually propagate to Angie's List and vice versa.

I can envision someone signing up for Angie's List Free services, and within a blink of an eye there will be solicitations coming from the (perceived) competing service.

And even harder for the contractor will be all the landing pages being created to divert traffic away from the Contractor's website.

Any comments from the Contractor Talk folk?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 958

Re: HomeAdvisor Purchasing Angie's List

Nothing will change.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 718

they will continue to fail, when only a small segment of contractors use their services to generate leads they cannot succeed. Many legit contractors do use them for lead generation but it's such a small percentage. Mostly new to the business contractors, fly by nights, and just relocated types use their services. My opinion though.

Amazon, houze, and home advisor seem to relentlessly prey on the need to get you sign up for their services, Two of the above companies will not leave me alone, why would anyone give up 30% of your income to amazon to let them control how you do business. Houze is a nightmare too, they want you to dump 3k a year so you get a top listing, really, told the sales person to delete my account with them, she didn't know what to do. Told her I needed work visas not more work

Just got beat out by 30k on a job by someone who just showed up in my area and uses all these pay for leads companies, hope he can find cheap labor to make up the shortfall.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,316

If he isn't familiar with Breckenridge and Colorado Mountain communities in general, he is in for a wake up call.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,492

Here is an interesting fresh off the press NBC story about Angie's List. It is titled "Many Local 'Angie’s List Certified' Contractors Unlicensed".

It is rather shocking how many are counted in just one area. Just imagine how big in scope this can be.

So I wonder how HomeAdvisor will begin to tackle the problem since perhaps some of the metrics they are aware of are not what they seem?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigat...420965484.html
coolflatroof (07-05-2017), tman78 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Here is an interesting fresh off the press NBC story about Angie's List. It is titled "Many Local 'Angie’s List Certified' Contractors Unlicensed".

It is rather shocking how many are counted in just one area. Just imagine how big in scope this can be.

So I wonder how HomeAdvisor will begin to tackle the problem since perhaps some of the metrics they are aware of are not what they seem?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigat...420965484.html
Thanks Brian,

Man....they paid $500 million???
That was the best move Angies ever did!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Roofer with a vision :)

Trade: Cool Flat & Metal Roofing in MA
Rewards Points: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Nothing will change.
You are wrong - combined these two will OWN google organic search, making it EVEN more difficult for contractors to rank, and get homeowners to their websites...

This is a complete monopoly ...
Old 07-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflatroof View Post
You are wrong - combined these two will OWN google organic search, making it EVEN more difficult for contractors to rank, and get homeowners to their websites...

This is a complete monopoly ...
Yep, as if insurance didn't create enough hurdles and hoops now advertising goes all wall street on us too.

Advertisement

Big Johnson (07-10-2017)