Friendtrusted.com?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 574

Friendtrusted.com?

Got a text message at 2am last night with a brief job description and a web link that leads to a page with a full job description, pictures of what they are looking for, and it gives the general area of the job (very close to my house) and says that I am one of 3 contractors this has been sent to. It asks for you to bid on the job which I just hit $50 (had to submit the price to leave the note) and left a note telling the customer that I would not bid the job in that way and would be happy to meet with them about the project. I got an email saying it was accepted and the person left their name and contact number.
Anyone else ever hear of this? I am going to set up a time next week to go see about the project, not expecting much but you never know. Now I have a feeling I'm going to start getting calls from the company looking to sell me advertising or something.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,932

Re: Friendtrusted.com?

Sounds like a newly invented scam by lead generation companies to me.

I get at least 3 calls per day, and nearly a dozen emails per day from the lead generators with a similar promise. I've stopped answering.

The text message with pics is a new twist though.

Please keep us posted if you decide to investigate this.

tenon0774 (06-11-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 574

I get those as well, usually starts off with something like, "hi, are you still doing additions and home repairs?" No real customer has ever called me with a line like that so its a dead give away. This seems legit since the customer actually left their name, number, and address. I did receive a call from the service and noticed on the web page they expect some sort of percentage of the final agreed upon job price. I have not signed up for the service, they only have whatever public information is out there on me.
Not expecting much but am going to call tomorrow and see what the possible customer has to say. They want bunk beds built, its a project I would really enjoy which is why I am entertaining this at all. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 91

I had the same thing happen to me. A text sent to my phone with detailed pictures. I was also suspicious but I decided to give it a try so I bit. I think they charged me something like $5.00 to gain access to the customers info and then AFTER the job is complete they expect you to pay them a percentage of the job.

The job ended up being a very nice paying job and turned into a repeat customer for me. I was happy with the system and when the job was done I made sure to go to their site to pay them their percentage they were owed in hopes continuous leads would flow. I only got two leads after that though that were well out of my service area.

I would certainly not hesitate to use them again. Fairly low risk. Customer gave me a nice review to boot!