Following Up With Leads

Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Trade: Landscaper
Rewards Points: 2

Following Up With Leads

Hi All,

I have not used any of the referral sites yet. I am looking into my options.

When you guys get your leads from Home Advisor, Thumbtack, etc, do you call the lead right away?

Has there been times when the lead does not answer at all? How soon do you meet with the lead after receiving it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,278

Re: Following Up With Leads

We don't use lead sites, but deal mostly with referrals... strike while the iron is hot no matter where it's coming from or someone else will...

Advertisement

Last edited by KAP; 09-13-2017 at 08:47 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Jaws (11-22-2017), MOTB (11-04-2017), TNTSERVICES (10-27-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 196

I try to call or text right away with HA. I'm often unable to get in touch with the customer. Even send an email saying we've try to get in touch but couldn't with all my contact info. It's hit or miss unfortunately. Luckily leads are cheap for me.

I usually meet the customer or just look at job a few days after initial contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,390

I'm strictly referrals so if you can't wait for my reply or to look at the job, tough ****.

But for everyone else you need to jump on your leads ASAP.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,686

With the lead gen services it seems to be if you don't get back to them almost instantly they move on to someone else

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: online marketing
Rewards Points: 78

Yes, it's really important to follow up ASAP. Yelp!'s ranking algorithm favors faster responses to inquiries. See here for example: https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=loc...as+Vegas%2C+NV
Old 10-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
ac-pros.com

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 50

Haven't had much luck with any of those lead gen services
Old 10-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #8

Trade: Contractor Leads
Rewards Points: 10

An increase from 27% to 92% is an increase of 341% lift in results just by responding immediately and persistently to leads.(source)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marckyz For This Useful Post:
MarkNiceJob (11-22-2017), ShaneT (10-27-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post
With the lead gen services it seems to be if you don't get back to them almost instantly they move on to someone else
You are right, and mostly since the people using Lead Gen tend to be looking for the fastest-cheapest as opposed to the best. There are businesses that can make it this way or perhaps even thrive. However, this is not the place to be when it comes to more expensive services such as remodeling, decks, new roofs, etc. I even keep seeing people posting nasty reviews when someone doesn't respond to the inquiry in a timely manner. One consumer made an inquiry for a Kitchen Remodel and was already complaining as a 1-Star Review saying he was completely upset being told it would take a few days to be able to visit, as if a remodel company has someone waiting on standby to just run to every inquiry.

This lead model should only be considered if you are prepared to handle it, and also pay for all the terrible leads too.
jeffnw (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #10

Trade: Heating and Cooling
Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
You are right, and mostly since the people using Lead Gen tend to be looking for the fastest-cheapest as opposed to the best. There are businesses that can make it this way or perhaps even thrive. However, this is not the place to be when it comes to more expensive services such as remodeling, decks, new roofs, etc. I even keep seeing people posting nasty reviews when someone doesn't respond to the inquiry in a timely manner. One consumer made an inquiry for a Kitchen Remodel and was already complaining as a 1-Star Review saying he was completely upset being told it would take a few days to be able to visit, as if a remodel company has someone waiting on standby to just run to every inquiry.

This lead model should only be considered if you are prepared to handle it, and also pay for all the terrible leads too.
This is all spot on. I've tried so many lead gen companies and there is really only 1 that I have stuck with. People on HA, Porch, etc are just price shopping and it's a waste of time.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 358

Other than the Parade of Homes we are all word-of-mouth. I will return email or call the prospect back the same day they call or email me. I do not answer unknown numbers when I am in the field or generally ever. I return call after I listen to the message. I do it when I am prepared and at my desk, although it although it is a little bit ironic I learned that from Stephen h.

If it is an existing client I will usually answer the phone or return the call ASAP. We used to set up meetings for a couple weeks out to look at the jobs, now I try to leave at least one hole in my schedule every week to go look at the prospective job and talk to the client so they aren't asked to wait two weeks, but we do not start any kind of estimating or design work at this time for at least 6 weeks, design work is out further than that. About 80% of the time I do not ask them to sign in APS with us until the second meeting because of this. I'd love to get that down to two weeks and get them to sign the aps on the first visit but it is tough when you were busy.

If it is an existing client and a simple job like a bathroom remodel or deck or something then we will jump on it as soon as possible.

Advertisement

John

Last edited by Jaws; 11-22-2017 at 02:09 PM.