Vinyl Plank Flooring

Old 06-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC - Home repair
Rewards Points: 256

Vinyl Plank Flooring

Have work on a rental property, so need something a little more durable than sheet vinyl.
Currently sheet vinyl over concrete.

Is there any glue down vinyl plank that can go down directly over old floor.

Looking for a better option than Allure floating floor.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 3,514

Re: Vinyl Plank Flooring

It's not the plank, it's the adhesive that may fail. Also the pattern of old vinyl will most likely transmit to surface of plank.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Pro

You may just need a proper scraper to remove vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl Plank flooring-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1434282656.070166.jpg  

Last edited by MIKE ANTONETTI; 06-14-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE ANTONETTI View Post
You may just need a proper scraper to remove vinyl.
I will check the paint isle at Home Depot for one of those.
LOL
Old 06-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Pro

The adhesive "may" goo, from the plasticizer in the sheet vinyl, or some type of chemical reaction that scientists would need to explain to me.

I think it's a decent choice of flooring, hopefully one that hides scratches well.

Various levels of bond to slab, from lifting sheet vinyl up by hand to being one with slab. It may or may not contain asbestos. There's no way of knowing how well it's bonded till removal starts.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,140

WTF? What about the plasticizers in the LVT? There are enough problems in the world without inventing imaginary ones. If the adhesive is compatible with LVT, it's more than compatible with existing sheet vinyl. The hard set types are the best for that application. Planks tend to walk around over pressure sensitive. The existing sheet vinyl is actually a benefit because it will perform as a barrier to potential vapor emission issues which are the leading cause of LVT failures.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Pro

BTW: what's wrong with Allure? Metro makes some pretty nice versions of that stuff. Some of them are even in-register, and it's less than 2 bucks a foot.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccoffer For This Useful Post:
spazman (06-15-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoffer View Post
BTW: what's wrong with Allure? Metro makes some pretty nice versions of that stuff. Some of them are even in-register, and it's less than 2 bucks a foot.
For a kitchen could be not good choice, especially for a rental prop.
Glue strip allure seems to be the best, but is not good with water. Click together could have expansion problems that make it hard to get seam clicked back together.

Glue down should have a little less expansion less likely to come unclicked like allure and will not allow water to spread as much underneath as compared to a floating floor.

Allure vs sheet vinyl in a kitchen is a gamble. You cannot be sure what you will need the most. Waterproofing of sheet vinyl or durability of allure. That will depend on what will last the longest.
Have had sheet vinyl last an average of 10 to 15 years. Allure much more durable and you can replace a plank.
But what if instead of the recommended damp mopping. You have someone dump a bucket of soapy water on the floor and let it sit awhile before mopping. Or dishwasher or adjoining laundry leak/overflow.
You only have to have this happen once in lets say under 10 to 15 years for the sheet vinyl to be maybe be a better choice.
Just saying a few things to consider and not a clear choice. Glue down makes it easier.

Opinions welcomed
thanks
Old 06-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
WTF? What about the plasticizers in the LVT? There are enough problems in the world without inventing imaginary ones. If the adhesive is compatible with LVT, it's more than compatible with existing sheet vinyl. The hard set types are the best for that application. Planks tend to walk around over pressure sensitive. The existing sheet vinyl is actually a benefit because it will perform as a barrier to potential vapor emission issues which are the leading cause of LVT failures.

Chuck, I only know from what's recommended, I don't know chemicals, I have heard there are different plasticizers which have varying effects, including dimensional stability.

I always prefer glued down plank, just seems more professional to me, and hollow tapping is bothersome and cheap in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
Pro

This Armstrong product looks like an option since can be glued down

Luxe Plank with FasTak
Old 06-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Pro

Thats just a knock off of Konecto which is what Allure is. Metro puts that Traffic Master name on it, but it's the same stuff. The real bomb is that US Floors stuff. It's more money than I'd spend on a rental, but the design is bullet proof.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
Pro

I always prefer glued down plank, just seems more professional to me, and hollow tapping is bothersome and cheap in my opinion.

That's an emotional argument. Personally, I've yet to ever in my life run across an LVT install that was "hollow". It's usually the case that I have to check to see if it's floating or if it's glued down do determine how I'll proceed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccoffer For This Useful Post:
spazman (06-15-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
Pro

Maybe small dog claws, yeah I tap it with my nails, I saw a new install, commercial and it was peaking. The issue with water getting under is a concern for homeowners as well.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
Pro

Duly noted.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 836

Quote:
Maybe small dog claws, yeah I tap it with my nails, I saw a new install, commercial and it was peaking. The issue with water getting under is a concern for homeowners as well.
There's a HUGE upside to the complete failure of the overlapping glue strip (Konecto) system on commercial projects. The local Fresh and Easy market out here originally had polished and sealed concrete. It's got to be around 10-15K square feet a SMALL market in this area. Anyways, one day I walk in and it's covered with LVT----looks like Konnecto. Looked awesome and held up great for............1-2 years.

Then the seams started curling, the legs of the fixtures tweaked out the material. At the freezer and fridge units the glue just FAILED.....

Then I walk in a few months later and VOILA! all the LVT is gone and the original polished slab was as good as new.

Nothing ventured
Nothing gained

So they gave it a fair shot.
The fact that they FAIL horribly in commercial applications is a very bad sign to me as far as the extreme residential situations. So yeah, make it PERFECT conditions and this product can perform as expected.

To me it's just another piece of plastic Chinese garbage.
The Following User Says Thank You to BKM Resilient For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (06-30-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #16
Pro

I wonder how all that shakes out,(who wins, who loses)there's gluedown vinyl plank that's failing at local Winn Dixie where the veggies are, curling, running the burnisher over and burning the surface off, their covering with walk off mats.

I've seen solid vinyl tile seem to hold up well, not sure about the frozen aisle where the vct fails. In other areas I think they go over top of vct with the plank.

Sounds like you know what works, and when they don't want to pay for what will.

Last edited by MIKE ANTONETTI; 06-16-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 836

Quote:
I wonder how all that shakes out,(who wins, who loses)there's gluedown vinyl plank that's failing at local Winn Dixie where the veggies are, curling, running the burnisher over and burning the surface off, their covering with walk off mats.

I've seen solid vinyl tile seem to hold up well, not sure about the frozen aisle where the vct fails. In other areas I think they go over top of vct with the plank.

Sounds like you know what works, and when they don't want to pay for what will.
Vinyl COULD work with a shot blasted slab, Koster and proper prep.

It's WAY more than these nickle and dime markets want to pay so the polished, sealed, stained or toppings are the future of this kind of retail operation.

VCT and LVT are dead in the water because they can't stand up to the HORRIBLE conditions and the F'n retards with the checkbooks can't comprehend what it costs to put a layer of plastic over ****ty concrete with a zillion penetrations, trenches and............EVERYTHING wrong one could ever imagine.

I say they OUGHT to give up on floor coverings. They're simply too stupid to be trusted with the investment.

Grind, polish, stain and seal the slab--------like a F'n dog kennel

that's what they deserve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BKM Resilient For This Useful Post:
charimon (07-14-2015), PrecisionFloors (06-17-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 228

Quote:
IMO that stuff is great.I put down quite a bit in the last year.The last store i put in 3,000 Sq Ft.A week later all sorts of construction was done and the contractor didn't cover it at all.It cleaned up nice after and looked amazing.I heard that someone swept it then washed it but as they were washing it someone was following them with a shop vac and towel.No haze or re washing a floor that was once covered with drywall dust,sawdust.

Last edited by shakey0818; 06-16-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM Resilient View Post
Vinyl COULD work with a shot blasted slab, Koster and proper prep.

It's WAY more than these nickle and dime markets want to pay so the polished, sealed, stained or toppings are the future of this kind of retail operation.

VCT and LVT are dead in the water because they can't stand up to the HORRIBLE conditions and the F'n retards with the checkbooks can't comprehend what it costs to put a layer of plastic over ****ty concrete with a zillion penetrations, trenches and............EVERYTHING wrong one could ever imagine.

I say they OUGHT to give up on floor coverings. They're simply too stupid to be trusted with the investment.

Grind, polish, stain and seal the slab--------like a F'n dog kennel

that's what they deserve

You jog my memory!

Down here a higher quality supermarket(Publix) has terrazzo, which does pretty well, also some have methyl methacrylate, which I've gone thru a couple of stores and have seen Zero issues, not sure what the new builds are, but I think they went back to terrazzo.

I guess your market up there wanted to fancy up the store.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #20
Pro

Great comments.

Herein lies the rub. These problem areas involving dewpoint because of freezers can be fixed with the super expensive remedies, but they don't want to give a warranty unless you do the entire space. That's a lot of scratch especially considering grocery stores are getting so goddam huge these days, they should have a tram that you get on and carries you around.

Advertisement