Vapor Barrier For Wood On Concrete Slab

Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Trade: designer/specifier
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Vapor Barrier For Wood On Concrete Slab

Designer looking for some advice...
I'm specifying a hardwood floor on an existing above grade slab. The floor below is the basement, and the project is in Orlando. What's the most appropriate vapor barrier to use? I was planning on calling out 6 mil polyethylene film under 5/8" plywood. Should I add an asphalt mastic under the film as well?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 556

Re: Vapor Barrier For Wood On Concrete Slab

Ru a designer or installer???

Angus, u see this...

Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Designer. Is there a better forum for asking advice from knowledgable contractors?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 556

I wasn't saying to go somewhere else but a lot of the pros here can be leary of answering questions without any kind of introduction... a lot of diy'ers try to hijack this forum
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg
Ru a designer or installer???

Angus, u see this...
Tattle- tale! 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #6

I'm an "architect in training"...I was hoping this site could be a place where I could get some professional advice when I'm trying to specify/detail a project. Is that an approprate use for this forum?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoll11
I'm an "architect in training"...I was hoping this site could be a place where I could get some professional advice when I'm trying to specify/detail a project. Is that an approprate use for this forum?
I can't answer that. Someone in green can. But, you'll get alot more answers by searching the threads. This has been discussed on here a few times. BTW, I don't like, in general, architects or engineers. I'm not alone. 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman Jay View Post
BTW, I don't like, in general, architects or engineers. I'm not alone. 
Haha...yeah thanks for making that clear. I'm well aware of the dislike between many architects & contractors.

I'm sure there are plenty of contractors that got peeved at having to build something the way I've detailed it. That's why I'm looking here for advice.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: DIYer apparently
Rewards Points: 1,000

Well I am a florida boy. So I know about slabs and mositure. I do alot of glue down floors here in jax. Not to many nail in floors because of HEIGHT issues. Its hard to jack a door up to clear and not have to cut a exterior door that swings in.

The last floor I installed we put down 3/4 T&G plywood then layed tar paper over that and then installed the floor. The floor is still there and looks great its about 8 years old now. They bought the cheapest floor out and had to sort thru alot to get good boards
Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Flooring Installer
Rewards Points: 141
Send a message via Skype™ to parquetselvon
Thumbs down

You can call after a Timberflooring contractor in Orlando, he will surely help you, and at the sametime you can give him a chance to quote for that job. Like this every body will be happy. I got into big trouble with a Designer last year. I went on his site spent 2 hrs, measuring etc ... giving all technics, step by step. Finally when I passed by the site 2 months later, I heard a sanding machine on. I stopped and check out. They used all the materials I suggested, glues, vapor barrier / etc... But workers from the east Bulgarian and Roumanian were working for 5 euros an hrs. They slept on sight at night. The designer was a sort of contractor too. the sanding machine was a ranted one.....
Fortunately here in Belgium I cannot have gun, I would have shot that son of a B$$$$$$. I think that this forum must remain only for contractors only. No designers, architectes. You know why. We craftmans give advices freely but designers get paid for that .....
Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
Pro

Fill in your public profil. In respect towards others members of this forum
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
Pro

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiethetileman View Post
Well I am a florida boy. So I know about slabs and mositure. I do alot of glue down floors here in jax. Not to many nail in floors because of HEIGHT issues. Its hard to jack a door up to clear and not have to cut a exterior door that swings in.

The last floor I installed we put down 3/4 T&G plywood then layed tar paper over that and then installed the floor. The floor is still there and looks great its about 8 years old now. They bought the cheapest floor out and had to sort thru alot to get good boards
I would have put the tar paper on the concete, inorder that the plywood remain dry. Or probably you are right. I do not know the TAR Paper, may be here it's under another name. Here in belgium, I will place a epoxy floor sealant UZIN or THOMSIT, then place a visqueen + plywood + planks

Darkness don't exist, but ignorance. There is nothing terrible than to see ignorance in action. Please light me with knowledge
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #13

Trade: Flooring , Flooring Inspections
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by parquetselvon View Post
You can call after a Timberflooring contractor in Orlando, he will surely help you, and at the sametime you can give him a chance to quote for that job. Like this every body will be happy. I got into big trouble with a Designer last year. I went on his site spent 2 hrs, measuring etc ... giving all technics, step by step. Finally when I passed by the site 2 months later, I heard a sanding machine on. I stopped and check out. They used all the materials I suggested, glues, vapor barrier / etc... But workers from the east Bulgarian and Roumanian were working for 5 euros an hrs. They slept on sight at night. The designer was a sort of contractor too. the sanding machine was a ranted one.....
Fortunately here in Belgium I cannot have gun, I would have shot that son of a B$$$$$$. I think that this forum must remain only for contractors only. No designers, architectes. You know why. We craftmans give advices freely but designers get paid for that .....
Funny . That is why i charge $150.00 to do a estimate . if i get the job i deduct it from the price .
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #14

Trade: Wood Floor Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

I admire a designer that would want to get feedback from the people doing the actual work.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: DIYer apparently
Rewards Points: 1,000

I went back and looked at pictures of that job. I put 15 lb tar paper down overlapping the seams by one inch. Then plywood then the floor.

Nothing wrong with a designer asking questions around here honestly. I like designers and engineers but if they piss me off I like to have my fun. Hahhaaa

Don't know why the belguim waFfle was so blunt. This person is asking for advice not a free how to manual. Besides they are in america asking questions. So if anyone lost a job over answers it would be us.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #16

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parquetselvon View Post
You can call after a Timberflooring contractor in Orlando, he will surely help you, and at the sametime you can give him a chance to quote for that job.
I wish there was a way architects could get more involved with contractors as they're working out the details, but usually at that point a GC hasn't been chosen yet, and the architect doesn't have too much of a say in who the subs will be.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
Sam

Trade: Wood Cork and Leather Flooring and more
Rewards Points: 500

NWFA Installation guidelines are where to look for these questions.
6 mil poly must be installed before plywood over cured concrete floor, if you are planning to install solid wood floor. It is just a cheap insurance, I have seen dry basements one day and flooded the next, the water has to go somewhere.
For future questions please put as much as info as possible,we can not read minds.

Featuring Click Leather Floors
http://www.designershardwood.com

Last edited by astor; 03-25-2011 at 09:47 PM.