TrafficMaster Allure Tips & Any Good? - Flooring - Contractor Talk

TrafficMaster Allure Tips & Any Good?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Git R Done

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 202

TrafficMaster Allure Tips & Any Good?

I've never used TrafficMaster Allure and would like to know if it holds up to wear and if the planks stay stuck together. If I go with this product it will be installed in a rental property so it needs to be tough???

Also I'd like to pick up any tips from anybody who's got some good experience with it. If I want to cut a plank in half do I just score it with a utility knife and snap it or use a chop saw, do I need to roll the floor or is pressing it down with my hands enough etc...thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Orlando Car

Trade: certified floor covering installer.
Rewards Points: 1,154

Re: TrafficMaster Allure Tips & Any Good?

I've had many customers asking for it. I turn the jobs or turn them to laminate. The system they use to hold the flooring together is not good. It's a floating system so it should be better adhesion. Unlike laminate there's no click , so I would stick to full spread luxury vinyl planks or laminate.

Advertisement

( 510 ) 760 - 6810
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Git R Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floormasta78 View Post
I've had many customers asking for it. I turn the jobs or turn them to laminate. The system they use to hold the flooring together is not good. It's a floating system so it should be better adhesion. Unlike laminate there's no click , so I would stick to full spread luxury vinyl planks or laminate.
Yeah I don't have any experience with it but I just assumed it was pretty tough because I've seen it in Wall-Mart and other places but then again maybe that's not allure at all but some expensive commercial version of the stuff.

The main problems I've seen with laminate that I was hoping to solve with allure is that laminate scratches easily and is easily damaged by moisture (I know that there are very tough grades of laminate but I think they are way more expensive than the allure)

Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Orlando Car

Dem, what's at wall mart IS NOT a floating floor. That's full spread luxury adhesive . That is something I would recommend.
( 510 ) 760 - 6810
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

Allure had problems over concrete floors. It trapped the moisture under the floor causing big mold problems and edges sticking up. They solved the problem by requiring the floor be sealed before the flooring installed.

There is a click vinyl flooring available (don't have the name in front of me). It's about 1/2 the cost of glue down but I've never installed it (bid the job then it got delayed).
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Pro

BTW, vinyl scratches too. Or just use commercial grade vct
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
Orlando Car

Everything scratches.. My ASS itches and I scratch it.. Nothing id scratch proof, it can be scratch resistant but not proof.. Find luxury vinyl with a grain, that is scratch proof.
( 510 ) 760 - 6810
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Flooring Installer

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 48

Allure has had a lot of problems.There have been several batches with bad adhesive. They are not responsive to problems, either.

Armstrong certified
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
PrecisionFloors (11-21-2013)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Pro

Orlando, that sounds like a personal problem. Try some Goldbond, I hear it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to GO Remodeling For This Useful Post:
Floormasta78 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor in AZ
Rewards Points: 150

If you can keep the temp in control and not let it get to hot or cold, see specs, then it works great. I've only inspected one where the pigment was coming off. The biggest issues are as I said temp, leave a perimeter gap and don't fill it with caulk. And roll it when done.

Definetely do a moisture test, and use 6 mil under it if your expect moisture problems. And I always expect a moisture problem on slabs that have no barrier underneath it.
http://www.floorsavior.com
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #11

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 10

you install it like a laminate---undercut casings leave an expansion space around all verticals---cutting is just like vct--score and snap---how long will it last? noone knows--hasnt been out that long
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Orlando Car

I would.. its a floating floor
( 510 ) 760 - 6810
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Git R Done

Thanks for the replies!

I'll check into the full spread stuff. I like the principle of full spread better anyway. I wasn't sure if I could trust the contact cement on the allure and it seems like most of the replies support that. It's like contact cement is really only good for Formica countertops and doesn't seem to work on anything else.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor in AZ
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemRem View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I'll check into the full spread stuff. I like the principle of full spread better anyway. I wasn't sure if I could trust the contact cement on the allure and it seems like most of the replies support that. It's like contact cement is really only good for Formica countertops and doesn't seem to work on anything else.
The adhesive is nothing even close to contact cement.
http://www.floorsavior.com
Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #15

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 81

The entire system of overlapping glue strips hit the market for myself roughly 6 years ago when Konecto came out with the ideal in my area of the world.

Initially as an installer myself and others were sold on it, but the reality of installing it under anything other than optimal conditions will more than likely leave you wishing otherwise. The glue itself is not truly contact adhesive, and is supposed to set up through rolling and time to its full set state, however, if there are temperature swings, or worse yet areas subject to full sunlight during the day, the expansion and contraction issues that we experienced were excessive and we experienced peaking issues *in the tile formats especially*. Additionally, if you miss-set a plank or tile, any attempt to remove it and reset it might result in torn glue strips or if removed and re-lain it would act as if the glue had a memory for where you laid it the first time and you might end up with the same gap or oddness creeping back into play. Also we noted that materials that had been subjected un-moderated temperature *especially in the winter* had a habit of developing this ever so slight horseshoe twist that made reconnecting around islands or interior walls a royal pain.

It has been over year since we have even touched either product, but given what we went through, I would suggest you go for some form of fully adhered product. If its stuck and you know it then there is no problem.

(Disclaimer - As I said, it has been awhile since I have worked with it, and they very well might have finally resolved some of these issues, but after putting this flooring down in my own kitchen, my wife made me cover it up within a year due to its performace under sunny conditions)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
Orlando Car

FcFc. Don't worry I have your back..

this product is worthless and is a waste of money to any consumer.

As a flooring installer, I'd rather walk away from the job.
( 510 ) 760 - 6810
The Following User Says Thank You to Floormasta78 For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (09-16-2012)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: GC - Home repair
Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floormasta78 View Post
Do you have a certain brand that you would recommend for full spread luxury vinyl planks. Not really seeing much searching on the web.
Have a customer with rental property so need maybe commercial quality.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to rayh78 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
spazman

Trade: floorcovering installer
Rewards Points: 132

Like olzo said there is vinyl plank that clicks together like the wood laminate floors. It is a floating floor. I have a customer who has been using it a lot in his rentals the last 3 or 4 years and has had good luck with it. Most of the places he has installed it has been on above grade slabs. I try to steer customers away from wood laminate to the vinyl planks on a lot of jobs if it in an area where it is likely to get wet.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 93

I've used Allure in two of my rental homes. The kitchen and laundry rooms. I installed it in 2010. It is easy to install and is very tough and hard to scratch. It pretty much looks the same as when it was put in. I would difinately use it again
Old 11-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Yup. +1 for me too. When the manufacturer writes in their instructions: "you can install Allure in a rainstorm with no roof or walls" it says something.

We encourage it for kitchens & baths. Typically for its durability/water resistance. As far as "cupping" around edges...1/4 round will hide that.

You gotta remember, price is EVERYTHING in the rental market. So you start at peel & stick, upgrade to cheapo click laminate, then Allure. Because of its durability, & the statement from the manufacturer in writing like above it makes for an easy sell. I just show them the manual with that sentence highlighted.

3 yrs later the only issue I have seen is where we had a hole in a plank because a 600+ lb tenant wouldn't get off her couch and the couch legs just focused all that weight in too small of an area. Can't really fault allure for that.

Advertisement