Tar Paper And The Subfloor

Old 09-25-2003, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Tar Paper And The Subfloor

I have many, many flooring and other questions, but I will just start with one. We have an old house built in 1954. It has hardwood flooring in most rooms, and had various types of linoleum applied to various layers of plywood in the kitchen. We have ripped out all the plywood and linoleum in the kitchen, and we are down to the subfloor. (YaY!) The whole house has a bad cat smell, and we are trying to find ways to heal it of that. We tore out the kitchen floor because there was extensive odor in that. It has helped, but we need help in the other rooms...

I am getting off topic. Under all that plywood and lino, on top of the subfloor was tar paper. We don't know what it was for, or whether we need to re-apply it, or if we should use something else. Also, we do not know what kind of floor we are going to put in. There are so many options and we are confused. Anyway, our current objective is to rid that subfloor of the cat smell if at all possible. Our plan is to sand it...and then we don't know what to do after that.

Can anyone give me some direction and advice about that tar paper? I have a feeling it is also under our hardwood in the other rooms...

Is tar paper a bad thing?

TIA,
Rosebud

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Flooring Guru

Trade: Sales Manager
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Tar Paper And The Subfloor

Tar paper is used under hardwood floors for moisture and squeak control. To rid yourself of the cat smell, the most practical solution is to use a product called kilz, and you just roll it on the floor and let it dry. If applied properly, you will not smell cat smell anymore, and any new pets will not detect it either. But you need to get down to the subfloor or underlayment, I do not think it will work on tarpaper.
What floor do you think you will go with now? Perhaps more wood or laminate?

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #3

Hi floorcraft! (florcraft?) I can't remember how to spell it.
I was hoping you would answer. I followed your link at flooring.com over here just a little while ago.

So, you are saying to use kilz on the subfloor of the kitchen. Good, we have been wondering about that, and plan to use kilz products on all our walls and woodwork too, before painting.

As for what kind of new kitchen floor, we cannot decide! We love our old hardwood out in the rest of the house, and do not want to 'cheapen' it (for lack of a better word) by using wood laminates. We don't have the first clue about how to tile and we probably can't afford to have it done...at least not right away. Do they still make that roll out linoleum? I don't like those sticky down fake tile things much. Plus, I would really like to NOT put down any plywood. I 'saw' how smelly it can get.

What else is out there, maybe something I have not considered.

Please forgive my newbieness. First home, clueless, clueless....

Rosebud
Old 09-25-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Flooring Guru

I have been in the flooring industry awhile now, and choosing a floor isnt any easier for me than anyone else
It would be pretty cheesy for you to put down laminate wood look next to real hardwood, so forget about that. And it may be too much of a hastle to put down unfinished wood that looks close to what you have now, and then sand ALL hardwoods and stain all to match. Ceramic tile can be pretty affordable and long lasting, but I would think a nice tile look laminate can be a possibility. I have put lots of Armstrong and Wilsonart tile laminates next to real wood, and the look is fantastic. No grout to maintain, and it is more comfy to work on, and warm to stand on.
Linoleum or vinyl sheet goods can be affordable, but they really need to be installed on plywood, and not particle board or subfloor.
Vinyl tiles are ok as long as they are not the peel n stick variety. A product called Amtico is an amazingly realistic vinyl tile that is very durable. You would be amazed at the tile looks they have. It has fooled me on many occasions, but you will need plywood underlay for that as well.
Good luck, and let us know if we can help with your decisions.

Last edited by Floorwizard; 09-25-2003 at 07:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Floorwizard For This Useful Post:
Youngin' (05-22-2014)
Old 09-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #5

Thanks florcraft! I think what I need to do is get out there to a bunch of flooring stores and see what I like. I suppose that I will have to lay plywood underneath whatever I choose, but at least I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that no cat will ever be on it.

Thanks for the final word on the tarpaper. At least it isn't a bad thing.

You have a real nice evening, or whatever it is up there in Alaska right now..

Rosebud

p.s. I will come back and ask more questions later. Many thanks to the powers that be for this forum!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
Flooring Guru

www.carpetone.com

type in your zip code and go to a store nearest you.
they should have the best service and prices.

good luck.

Advertisement