Which Sub Floor Material???

Old 11-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

Which Sub Floor Material???

Building a new house, to live in for a long, long time. Not a resale project, so I want the best I can afford. The house is 2500 sq/ft, which is over a basement. Floor joist are 2x10s. What sub floor do I use??
We want carpet in the three bedrooms.
Linoleum flooring is to be used in the baths and laundry room.
The kitchen/dining room/living room will possibly be one of the following: hardwood, parquet or carpet (living room) and linoleum (kitchen/ dining room).

I thought about inch, t/g ply wood, but I was told that if it got wet it would warp and bow horribly. I am sure that it will get wet during construction.

I thought about 1x10 boards and then cover it with OSB, but currently this is the most expensive way to floor, and takes twice the time, and I did not know if two layers would cause any squeaks.

I have been told Advantech flooring is the way to go, but I know nothing about it. This option might be the best since we do not know what type flooring we will ultimately go with in the living room/kitchen area and the Advantech would give a smooth floor for wood, carpet or Linoleum (with a underlayment of course).

I have also been told to be sure to use treated plywood wherever water could possibly leak, because we all know that leaks do happen and we would rather spend $100 more now than have to fix something again later.

OK, so you can see that I am really confused and the contractors are getting ever closer to needing flooring material. All of the above options are about equal in price, so which is more desirable knowing that I will be living in the house for 40+ years.
Thanks in advance for you help.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Which Sub Floor Material???

I don't know advantech, but you can't go wrong with 3/4 t&g ply. The only reason to go heavier would be for tile/stone and you don't seem to be doing either. Rich.

From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 11-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Flooring
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via MSN to Donedat

I agree, 3/4 T&G is fine...beats OSB...wouldn't worry about warpage unless you are using sorry joist material. Most new house I see up here are either plywood or osb....bot are T&G.

A question...why are you making yourself sick over the subfloor material? Save that for the cabinets, paint, and light fixtures.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

I vote 3/4 T&G. Glue, nail, and a half box of screws a day or two before carpet.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Plywood. It can get wet without problems, it is exterior rated-CDX.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

I find that 3/4 OSB holds up best under a few showers, However ply is stronger and the adhesive bonds better to prevent squeaks.

I'd look at the extended forecast, make the call, and leave my major concerns for the finish products.

Bob
Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

If money was not part of it I would go with the Advantech. A standard 50 year warranty and a no sanding double your money back guarantee is hard to pass up. Learning more about it is simply a matter of going to their website or doing a search on the Internet.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,028

I'd go with the plywood, - - you won't catch yourself being the 'guinea pig'.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #9

I have decided to go with 1x10s and then add underlayment as needed to accommodate the finish flooring type chosen. Reasoning being, my contractors are great, but not the fastest in the world, but then again they move relatively fast for two people. I chose these two people because they were highly recommended and very good. They are to put the subfloor down tomorrow, and then it is to rain for two days. Just my luck. I am sure it will get wet a time or two more before the roof goes on, as weather in Kentucky is often unpredictable.

My builders said to stay away from ply wood as it would warp, and delaminate worse than OSB. The lumber yard owner said to go with some real wood and glue it down if I planned on living there 40 years. He also said that Advantech was just glorified OSB and it had not proven itself as of yet, and their warranty was just 180 days.

OK, now tell me what problems I will have with the 1x10s and how to deal with them.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #10
Pro

You mean besides the cupping, warping, shrinking, expanding, swelling, splitting, and moving separately issues??

At least six out of seven builders (and floor guys) above have suggested plywood.

YOU are going with 1 X 10's.

Why ask, pray tell??

Good luck, sir.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburchett
I have decided to go with 1x10s .
To be frank, but that is quite insane.

Quote:
I chose these two people because they were highly recommended and very good.
If these guys are so good how come you are having to come up with the material choice based on an internet forum?

Quote:
My builders said to stay away from ply wood as it would warp, and delaminate worse than OSB.
Plywood is tried and true. It won't warp, it might delaminate a little, or more likely swell a bit, but that is what a belt sander is for. Remember that almost every flooring type you will put down has a underlayment partnered with it. Tile - CBU, Carpet - padding, Vinyl sheet - Luan, etc...

Quote:
He also said that Advantech was just glorified OSB and it had not proven itself as of yet, and their warranty was just 180 days.
Your lumber yard dude is an idiot. You can verify the 50 year warranty by looking yourself.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Even i know tongue and grove plywood is the way to go. Just make sure liquid nails or something is put down first to prevent squeeking down the road. Also its best to screw it down but not everyone has one of those awesome standup screw guns with strips of screws fed in it. Its also my understanding you leave just a little gap in the grove for future expansion. 1X10's I'm lost on that. I have never seen them go with that on this old house or any homeimprovent show for a subfloor.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
Pro

Just make sure you install the 1x10s on edge.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #14
Pro

If you use 1x10's for subfloor, you're asking for major headaches. Old school framing used this stuff for subfloor because that was what was available at the time. Sounds like you're trying to cut corners by saving money on materials. You will be sacrificing a great deal. Use plywood or OSB over 1x10's and you won't have half the problems, and you will actually save money in man power in your overall flooring expenses.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #15
Pro

I might also add that if it rains on your 1x10's, you will be really disappointed 'cause it's going to crown so hard all your nails are going to pull. Forget glue...no glue on earth can stop a board from crowning or cupping. So, your two guys will be dealing with warpage...ever sat cabinets on warped subfloor...partical board won't hold warp subfloor down...hardwood floor definitely won't. Your walls really won't hold the floor down.

Why don't you ask someone the history of plywood and when we started using it in our industry and WHY we started using it instead of 1x10's or Car Decking (T&G 2x4s).
Old 11-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
Pro

"But Billy-Bob at the lumber yard said . . . "
Old 11-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #17

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
I choose the 1x10s based upon advice. Not much unlike advice offered on this forum, which I appreciate greatly. Even my builders were split on the 1x10s or advantech. No one recommended plywood, for our area and the normal weather for this time of year. After viewing the advantech warranty (you must read it very well) I choose the 1x10s. If I choose incorrectly, I will correct my mistake later, but for now my choice is the one that seems most appropriate. Thanks to all for their help.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #18
Pro

I'm not directing this personally at pburchett, but more as to the total audience here who participated in this discussion.

I can understand the choices, discussion and debate between plywood and OSB for sub-flooring, but how in the world would does 1x10 dimensional lumber ever even enter into this?

Could anybody here even imagine somebody actually consciously making the decision to go that route.

Doesn't this parallel putting a gun to somebodies head and having the victim offer to load the bullets?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #19
Pro

The 'head' it should be pointed to is 'Billy-Bob' at the lumber-yard. DOLT!!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R
The 'head' it should be pointed to is 'Billy-Bob' at the lumber-yard. DOLT!!
Now Tom, I think you are mis-informed. He works at a lumber yard, he must know how to build a house! That's why he works at a lumber yard isn't it?