Shop Vac Recommendations?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Hardwood flooring
Rewards Points: 10

Shop Vac Recommendations?

Gentlemen,

Just picked up a new Rigid shop vac to replace my old but mighty "ShopVac" shop vac. None of the nozzles are able to get as close to the floor as my old one to pick up ALL the sanding dust. I've tried customizing the Rigid nozzles, but still... not nearly as good. What does everyone out there use?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,064

Re: Shop Vac Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwithfloors View Post
Gentlemen,

Just picked up a new Rigid shop vac to replace my old but mighty "ShopVac" shop vac. None of the nozzles are able to get as close to the floor as my old one to pick up ALL the sanding dust. I've tried customizing the Rigid nozzles, but still... not nearly as good. What does everyone out there use?
This is good to know because my current "Shop Vac" is about to go out and I was thinking that I would p/u a Rigid. A buddy of mine got a "shop vac" a couple months ago and it is a piece of crap. Doesn't suck up near as much as my old one does.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 96

I bought the 20 gallon size from Sears and it's the best vac as far as suction I've ever owned.
I use the filter bags and they help keep the mess confined when it's time to empty. If it went south tomorrow, I'd replace it with the same thing.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I have a ridgid now but my craftsman lasted many many years,I just don't care for Sears anymore,terrible service.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

I too gotta say Sears was the most powerful I've had.

Since I'm in Lowe's a lot I bought and returned 1 shop vac because it didn't pull near what I thought it should. Bought the next size up it's still not the greatest but it'll do for the moment. I was sold on the low noise and all that. I'd be wasting a lot of time with it on a full scale reno.

I have a Sears 2 gal I use all the time. Works great.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 96

Quote:
None of the nozzles are able to get as close to the floor as my old one to pick up ALL the sanding dust.
The plastic floor nozzle that comes with the Craftsman is about 8" wide. If you are just using the 8' or so hose that comes with the vac, you'll have a hard time dragging it across the floor as the suction is so great. I have to angle mine in order to get a good, productive swipe. I usually have an extension hose attached that reduces the suction a little.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 2,000

Cleantec CT-22, dual hepa filters, disposable bag, 90" static water lift, ohhh so quiet.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,012

I know that there is at least one manufacturer of central vacs in canada. It doesn't matter whether they are manufactured in your prefecture or not, they are the best for vacuums.

If you are in the hardwood flooring business, I would get one to rig up and take with me to jobs. You can use it to vaccum up after sanding. Vacuum the walls and ceiling while you are at it. Become a dealer and sell these to the homeowners you are installing wood floors for. This is exactly what they will need.

Retail price with an accessory package including a beater for carpets is around $1200 for a top model. Wholesale is half that. The accessory package is half the cost.

If you have an attached garage, then you put the unit in the garage, or in the basement with an inlet in the garage. they are great for cleaning cars, or keeping your shop (garage) clean.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Fix Houses View Post
I too gotta say Sears was the most powerful I've had.

Since I'm in Lowe's a lot I bought and returned 1 shop vac because it didn't pull near what I thought it should. Bought the next size up it's still not the greatest but it'll do for the moment. I was sold on the low noise and all that. I'd be wasting a lot of time with it on a full scale reno.

I have a Sears 2 gal I use all the time. Works great.

I second that motion.

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
New Guy

This is so ghetto, but I duct taped my 8", 3/4 nozzle from my 5 gal shop vac to my brand new 7/8 Rigid shop vac hose, and it's the best suction I've ever had. Saved me at least half an hour on 500 square feet. Turns out it's not the vacuum at all, but the nozzle. I bought the Rigid 8" wet/dry nozzle, popped out the rubber, but it was the 1/8" spacers on the ends that seriously reduced suction. The 8" Shop Vac nozzle is the best out there for sanding dust. It doesn't scratch, the mouth is wide, and I've been using it for 6 years with no complaints. Lesson learned. Less about the vacuum, more about the nozzle.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,066

Shop vacs are ok for ruff work and cleaning a jobsite..but not floor finishing..

you need a Mega Vac back pack... no wheeling around, hoses hard to handle, switcihng plugs..etc

Mega Vac, you can hook a a 50 or 75 ft chord and breeze through a house in no time, picking just about every spec of dust possible..

nothing better.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 2,084

I have a sears 5HP . It is 18yrs old and going strong! ( trick is to keep the filter clean).
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestrd View Post
Shop vacs are ok for ruff work and cleaning a jobsite..but not floor finishing..

you need a Mega Vac back pack... no wheeling around, hoses hard to handle, switcihng plugs..etc

Mega Vac, you can hook a a 50 or 75 ft chord and breeze through a house in no time, picking just about every spec of dust possible..

nothing better.
Where and how much? Sounds like something I'd invent!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #14

Trade: Home Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

I have one of the 16 Gallon Rigid blower vacs and it's one of the best I've ever owned. The attachments for my model are great at picking up everything including dust on the floor. The only problem I have with these is the filter clogs up too fast.

I recently came across the Clear Vue Cylcone site where they are making a cyclone attachment that seperates the dust via a cyclone and leaves almost no dust in the filter. If it wasn't so much, I'd buy one.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

http://www.globalindustrial.com/imag...95455_1wco.gif

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...BackPac+Vacuum

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,066

That probe is similar, but looks pricey.

they all used to go for around 400 but are cheaper now.

We use Mega Vacs..you should be able to google it..
I see you are in Toronto.

You should be able to get one of these wherever you buy supplies..if they sell equipment and supply, they have these vacs..
You coan probably get one for about 300-350..I have seen them on sale for around 275...

with things tight out there, you can probably make a deal somewhere..
Old 11-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
New Guy

Thanks for the links gents. As I am in Toronto it'll probably sell here for $600. When I go to Michigan for Christmas I might have to support the American economy with that purchase. Bought a Crane undercut saw in the States for $350 cheaper than here in Toronto. Ouch!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #18

Trade: environmental
Rewards Points: 75
Cool

I've used my sears shop vac for 15 years and clean the filter every time I dump it, but the seals are starting to leak. On the job I have a nilfisk hepa vac for lead and asbestos. There are 3 pre filters before the HEPA filter. You pay for what you get.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

best investment this year was my fien vac. i use my fien turbor mini with hepa filter and filter bag. also can hook up my small sander to it since i mostly do repair work of hardwoods not full sand jobs. i am not doing much full house sanding, but i do use it for concrete/thinset grinding and running my festool track saw too. plus i can have it on in a small room and its quiet.

before that i was using 4 other vacs. i have a 4.5HP hangup shopvac with bag and filter and it worked nice plus had a 18' hose. i also have 3 other ridgids none of them i liked b/c i was deaf after using them, but they can suck ;-)

With all the vacs i use a eletrolux hardwood floor cleaning brush head(~$20 at the vacuum store near home). made with horse hair instead of the plastic brush type ones ridgid sells. i find it softer on the floors and does a better job getting dust from the grooves.