Ripping Up Linoleum Floor

Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
New Guy

Ripping Up Linoleum Floor

I have a house that was built in 1953, there are a few layers of Linoleum in the kitchen that I want to rip up so that I could put down ceramic tiles.

2 questions:

1 - What is the best way to rip them up?

2 - Should I be at all concerned about asbestos?

Thanks?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
New Guy

Re: Ripping Up Linoleum Floor

I think that I am going to avoid this situation completely and screw down some 1/4 in backer board.

This will end up putting the kitchen floor 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so above the hard woods. Is there a general rule on how much it too much?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Flooring Guru

Trade: Sales Manager

just your feet will tell the tale.

do you trip much?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
contractor

Trade: carpentry plumbing electric

Personally,I would not be concerned about asbestos for a one time thing.somebody will annihilate me for saying such a thing,so go ahead I am ready.you can rent machines that work well for ripping old flooring.I found a serrated roof removal shovel sometimes works great.I have seen some flooring that will not come loose with dynomite
Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Flooring, wall covering, Handy-man

in the last 2 months I've tore up 2 floors, mostly I used a heat gun. I wanted the maple floor under one room and the other room I want to tile (hopefully tomorow) I didnt want the tile sitting 3/4 of an inch over the hardwood floor. there was 4 different floors in the kitchen with 3/8inch underlayment between the 2nd and 3rd floor.
I've been told that if your going threw all of that work to tile, why take a shortcut with the subflooring, and I agree. My home is 110 yrs old and any more setteling (which still happens) and the grout will fail.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #6

Trade: FLOORCOVERING

I Agree I Would Get Rid Of Any Old Flooring On A One Time Thing But I Do Not Recomend Getting Into Habit With That. You Could Set Your Circular Saw To The Depth And Cut It In Sections, That Might Help.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #7

Trade: Carpentry

I recently had to rip up 3 old layers of linoleum in a small kitchen remodel and was not having good luck so I decided to rip up the subfloor, much faster and no dust. I was lucky because they had two subfloors, the one I removed was not under wall plates. I was lucky on that job.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
TURNER FLOORING

Trade: Floor installation

Two layers of vinyl don't need to be installed over. Not recommended. Most good floor installers will install right over the top of a layer of vinyl as a moisture barrier. Ceramic of course. Normally no other materials. But you have to be sure you are wanting to take the chance of the vinyl staying down for a long period of time. If it's really stuck now then it's all your discretion. Getting it up is time consuming and a pain in the ass. Just a bunch of labor. No easy way of doing it. Unless it gets flooded then it falls off of the floor. Also not recommended..Good luck..