Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

quarry tile to quarry tile

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  icsbill 
#1 ·
I have a restaurant that wants me to attach another layer of quarry tile on top of an existing tile (speed bumb) so the carts stop banging in to the walls.

I thought if I grind notches in the exsiting tile I mite get the new tile to stick.

any thoughts on this would be helpfull

#2 ·
I've done it before in commercial kitchens. Steam clean/degrease the existing floor first and you should be just fine. Thinset on tile is approved.

#3 ·
I have a restaurant that wants me to attach another layer of quarry tile on top of an existing tile (speed bumb) so the carts stop banging in to the walls.

I thought if I grind notches in the exsiting tile I mite get the new tile to stick.

any thoughts on this would be helpfull
AND I AGREE THAT IT SHOULD BE CLEANED THOROUGHLY..
EPOXY PRIMER HELPS TREMENDOUSLY.. AFTER THE CLEANING..
BUT THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION, I WOULD CHECK WITH DAL-TILE FIRST. OR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS FOR SURE. WE USE EPOXY PRIMER FOR INSTALLING ALL TYPES OF FLOORING OVER MANY OTHER HARD SURFACES TO HELP WITH THE BONDING.
GOOD LUCK:whistling

#9 ·
I was searching info on quarry tile for commercial kitchen and cam eacross your thread. I might have the opportunity to bid a quarry project. The exisiting area is VCT. What is your take on installing quarry tile over VCT. STEam Clean or floor stripper first, rinse, primer thinset(Ultra flex 2 Mapei) then tile, then grout(3/16)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.