Need To Refinish Floors - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Need To Refinish Floors

Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,174

Need To Refinish Floors

Man, I'm in a boat I don't want to be in. I've got walnut floors over radiant heat. Installed and finished in 2014. We used Vermont Natural Coatings. The Polywhey 3500 finish. It looked great, but it is gone on the high traffic spots. Oil and waters just soak into the wood now. I've got a flooring guy who uses Bona. He is talking about 2 coats of Mega and 2 coats of Traffic after a complete resand. I'm leaning towards the waterborne finish because of VOC smells and drying time. Also, I have a very tight house so off gassing is a concern even though I have mechanical ventilation. My question is how should I expect the Bona to perform? I know it will do better than the poly whey. But should I be thinking of going to an oil and just dealing with the drying time and smells. I've had good luck with oil in the past, but the smell and drying time coupled with kids and a dog have me worried. The radiant temp is low. 100 degree water tops. the walnut is 3" wide. Appreciate any thoughts, Nick.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,319

Re: Need To Refinish Floors

Both of those are used in commercial buildings. I'd say it has to be pretty tough. Being water based, it's not going to amber, so it may look pale.

Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 10-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Box Builder

That isn't a problem. The polywhey acted the same. Also been recommended Poloplaz. Anyone use that before?

Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,356

I use the Bona Product line almost exclusively.

You really can't do mega without doing a sealer first.

So maybe what your floor guy is saying is a coat of sealer, a coat of mega and two coats traffic.

More likely, One coat sealer, two coats mega one coat traffic. Traffic is pretty low odor at the 24-30 hour mark. Don't really want to be around it until that time. Essentially your mixing an isocyanate (cyanide molecule with an oxygen bond) with a base; this forms a plastic very similar in composition to super glue. The off gasing will definitely make you feel sick and see stars. Anaphalactic shock has caused death in two instances when individuals became sensitized to the product (WEAR GLOVES WHEN MIXING AND APPLYING). I personally have experienced stroke like symptoms including aphasia (inability to speak) after skin contact. Non direct air flow after 30-60 minutes will help the coating cure hard.

Traffic HD flows better than the original traffic. They destroyed the old traffic formula. They said they didn't change it but now it gets large chunks of particulate when mixed unless you use an extremely fine filter; that didn't happen five years ago. Traffic hd is also thinner which helps flow and level but hurts durability. So like with most things the upgrade is a downgrade. You get a thinner less durable coating for more money.

Traffic is good. I started doing exclusively bona about five years ago. Been watching my floors since then. Honestly, the mega holds up as well as OR BETTER than traffic. I do mega floors in rentals and traffic residential. A lot of my mega floors seem to look better after three years than my traffic floors.

Pro tip: Mega HD can be catalyzed but so can Bona Mega! Most suppliers don't point this out (because they want to seal traffic at double the cost) and most floor guys don't know this; but they do sell an aziridine accelerant for Mega.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,780

^
|
This guy seems to know his stuff. And Jesus, the health issues with traffic. I just applied that stuff like it was water. Why can't I speak in more than two syllab....
Old 10-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Particulate Filter

If you want the hardest possible floor you need to do an acid curing finish. Odor is ridiculous. NO FLAMES IN THE HOUSE, NO PILOT LIGHTS!!! Nothing living in the house for at least 72 hours.

http://glitsa.com/professionals/prod...rnish-systems/

Old 10-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
Particulate Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
^
|
This guy seems to know his stuff. And Jesus, the health issues with traffic. I just applied that stuff like it was water. Why can't I speak in more than two syllab....
Its not water tho, its cyanide.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Its not water tho, its cyanide.
So is super glue, but only if you burn it. I mean, water explodes if you separate the hydrogen and Oxygen and ignite it. Everything is potentially dangerous.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #9
Box Builder

I think I drank too much tonight. I'm lost. I'll revisit tomorrow. I have to go to bonas site and check out the process. I do want a tough finish. Its walnut and I have kids and dogs. So I don't have that going for me.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #10
Box Builder

Metro, the guy specifically said he uses a two part finish, and all he mentioned was mega and traffic. Looking at their site, though, it appears the process is a sealer and then mega OR traffic hd. I'm going to have to clear this up with him. What would be your walnut application if you were doing it?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
Particulate Filter

Just follow the directions.

Either bona classic seal or bona deep tone sealer. Then two or three coats Mega HD or Traffic HD. The deep tone sealer should be abraded between coats, the classic seal is made to be hot coated.

And clip your dogs nails regularly.

I just went to a customers house that I did last year. Stained floors with two coats traffic. 80 to 100 lb pitbull with 1/2 inch claws and I was really surprised at how well the coating held up. There were some scratches, but not bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
Morning Wood (10-08-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
Box Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Just follow the directions.

Either bona classic seal or bona deep tone sealer. Then two or three coats Mega HD or Traffic HD. The deep tone sealer should be abraded between coats, the classic seal is made to be hot coated.

And clip your dogs nails regularly.

I just went to a customers house that I did last year. Stained floors with two coats traffic. 80 to 100 lb pitbull with 1/2 inch claws and I was really surprised at how well the coating held up. There were some scratches, but not bad.

I don't see deep tone sealer on their website. I see the classic seal. And then I see amber seal which looks like something I might be interested in. It seems it may retard the bleaching effects of walnut as it ages. But if it needs abrading between coats, I'll stick to classic seal.
My dog gets plenty of exercise, so her nails are ok naturally. Plus she's 30-35 lbs. it's the kids and their plasma cars that really beat the crap out of the finish. Thanks for the help
The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-11-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
Box Builder

Update. Talked to VNC, and their rep is going to send me finish to redo the floor. This way I'll only have to lightly buff the floor. We'll see how long it lasts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
hdavis (10-16-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #14

Trade: Painting, Landscaping, & Fence Installation
Rewards Points: 148

Any reason you're not considering Street Shoe?
http://www.basiccoatings.com/Product...d&pageNumber=1

I used that on my hardwood floors and have been happy with the outcome.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:15 AM   #15
Box Builder

Never heard of it. Reusing VNC buys me sone time. I only need to buff instead of sand all the way down
Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
Box Builder

So, we are going away for about a week in March. Perfect time to do the floor since we won't be here. Only problem that is bothering me is that the floors are in their shrunken state because of the low humidity. I'm hesitant to refinish them while they are like this. I'm afraid that dust from the buffer and possibly even finish will get down in the joints and cause problems when they do swell back up after it warms back up outside. Any thoughts?

I don't have huge gaps, but standard seasonal movement. And they floor does get tight in the summer.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #17
Particulate Filter

Wood moves.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,369

A good floor finisher should be able to help you.

Advertisement