My Tile Project. Want Input!!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
It is what it is

Trade: Roofing, Remodeling, Concrete
Rewards Points: 250

My Tile Project. Want Input!!

Alright this is only my 3rd tile project. It is on a house i am building for myself. Just wanted to get input and see what you tile pros think. I actually enjoy doing it too. I figure its not too bad for a dumb roofer. Also what would you guy charge for doing this type of work. just wondering cause it is taking me for ever. I am using 4x4" ,and 12x12" tiles as well as smaller trim pieces. and I know i have a few spots to fill in. Thanks for the comments good or bad.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #2

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 25

Re: My Tile Project. Want Input!!

Looks really good I would charge $8 to $10 per sq foot, just labor. I dont do much tile but that has been the going rate here.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Old school Ranger

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 152

it needs grout
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

The quality of installation looks pretty good to me. It is a little busy for my taste, but that doesn't mean anything.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorinstall View Post
it needs grout
Damn it, I knew i was forgetting something.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling

Me too, about 8-10 dollars a square foot is best, bigger job would knock it down some.
NICE JOB on yours there!!
Dave
Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
Trowel Monkey

Trade: Tile & Stone Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Hello Doubleaction,.
The installation looks really good. I think that the pricing that people are suggesting is generally low. For a standard 4'-by-3' shower that's less than $800 for labor, which isn't quite my daily minimum for two days. You've got a diagonal installation with varied-sized stone, mosaic elements, several complex liners and the base of running-bond pattern. Did you have to cut those pieces down yourself or did you purchase them in those sizes? I see that you used Redgard to waterproof everything also, so that's going to add another full day to the project, at least! Are you building a tiled shower pan or using an acrylic pan?
Some suggestions I'd make are that you increase the width of the horizontal band in the shower to eliminate the gap at the ceiling and I would have terminated the mosaic liner with a vertical pencil-liner, mitered like you did with that very cool cover-plate panel above the tub. I'm curious to know why you switched from 4-by-4s to 4-by-12s in the shower brick pattern?
Shaughnn
Certified Wedi Corp. installer
Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator
Rewards Points: 500

On my profit margins, that type of work, would surpass $8-10 a sq. ft. A basic straight lay, on a vertical surface, averages $8-12 a foot, with extras added.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #9

Trade: Flooring contractor
Rewards Points: 10

$8-$10 per foot is to low for me as well. There is just way to much going on in a shower; drypacking the pan, shower liner, water proofing all that stuff eats up the time, then when you add in the detail that you have put into your shower even more time goes into it. I would probably be in the $14+ per foot range just to set the tile everything leading up to that would be additional. Not to mention shower shelves, niches, and seats all that stuff is extra as well.

Nice job
Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnn View Post
Hello Doubleaction,.
The installation looks really good. I think that the pricing that people are suggesting is generally low. For a standard 4'-by-3' shower that's less than $800 for labor, which isn't quite my daily minimum for two days. You've got a diagonal installation with varied-sized stone, mosaic elements, several complex liners and the base of running-bond pattern. Did you have to cut those pieces down yourself or did you purchase them in those sizes? I see that you used Redgard to waterproof everything also, so that's going to add another full day to the project, at least! Are you building a tiled shower pan or using an acrylic pan?
Some suggestions I'd make are that you increase the width of the horizontal band in the shower to eliminate the gap at the ceiling and I would have terminated the mosaic liner with a vertical pencil-liner, mitered like you did with that very cool cover-plate panel above the tub. I'm curious to know why you switched from 4-by-4s to 4-by-12s in the shower brick pattern?
Shaughnn
I had to cut all the 4x8 for the running bond out of 12x12s. I am also going to terminate the mosaic liner with vertical pencil liner with mitered cuts too match the boxed outlet below. I was looking at that the other night and thought it would look better. I built a mud shower pan.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
tile mason

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling and custom tile projects
Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with Shaughnn,

Everything looks good except the bitty gap at the cieling. Could have made the border mosaic two rows higher.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCoops View Post
I agree with Shaughnn,

Everything looks good except the bitty gap at the cieling. Could have made the border mosaic two rows higher.

Yeah thats why i didnt go any further i havent desided what im going to do up there yet.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,006

Looks purdy...grouting always makes the job. That looks like natural stone, sealing it prior to grout would be advised...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #14
Trowel Monkey

Trade: Tile & Stone Contractor

Look to me like the only alternatives are to continue the diagonal pattern OR border the top with the gold-colored slate.
Don't sweat it too much . It's a really nice looking job.
Shaughnn
Certified Wedi Corp. installer
Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleaction View Post
Yeah thats why i didnt go any further i havent desided what im going to do up there yet.
Why not use the brown boarder across the top aswell. You could carefully cut the top row with an angle grinder and tile blade without removing the intire tile and keep the boarder the same size. It would look finished then.

The first thing I noticed were the electrical outlets....so close to the tub. Does your building code not require some safe distance for swithes and outlets?

Last edited by woodmagman; 11-08-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #16
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmagman View Post

The first thing I noticed were the electrical outlets....so close to the tub. Does your building code not require some safe distance for swithes and outlets?
They are actually going to be GFI resets for the pump and heater, i was waiting for someone to question that.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #17

Trade: General

Why would you put gfci resets so close to the water source & why in plain view I would not make stand out so much..just me Tile job top notch!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #18

Trade: Tile/Stone

It looks good I would charge around 9 a SQ/FT Make sure you post pics of it grouted.
Thanks
Adam
www.creativecoveringsolutions.com
Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #19

Trade: Remodelor / Handyman

Looks great, I love doing tile work like this. I can't make money doing this kind of work. $10, $15, now $20 per square ft. And I'm quick. I still loose money.

I've recently been using Starquartz(.com) grout. It'sexpensive but goes on great and • Pre-mixed and ready to use
• Self sealing, no sealing required
• Stain / chemical / mildew resistant
• UV resistant – light colors won’t fade or yellow
• Semi flexible, low shrinkage and highly crack resistant
• Leftover grout can be saved for the next job

So far so good. The other downside is that it's a sanded grout so I couldn't use it on glass tile.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #20

Trade: Tile & Stone Contracting

I'm with Shaughnn ...Piece work like this is tedious & time consuming ( i think some of you missed the liners Perhaps?? )
I'd lowball this at 18 s/f if I really needed the work.......20 + if i were busy simply because this is NOT a profit job..This is a RESUME' job.

I dont need a resume after over 20 years

Therefor, I want profit.......I also want to keep my helper working (main reason for potential lowball price)

Guys look at this stuff and drool but in all honestly, IF you get known for this type of work and you cant get PAID for it......Whats the point. You might as well go work flipping burgers unless you want to be just another starving tile artist.

As for the gap...Try This:
cut lgtile to proper size squrae...(in other words..if that space equals 2.5" high cut strips 2.5" (less a dbl liner for top & bottom) and then square it at 2.5"(less a dbl liner) giving you 2or 3 pcs per 6" strip.(maybe 1.75" x 1.75" aprox)..NOW cut them on the diagonal Use the colors you have to advantage here....since you are doing this yourself play around till you get a nice geometric look to go with your GEO metric look LOL

Last edited by Tileguytodd; 11-20-2007 at 04:01 PM.