Laminate Flooring Under Kitchen Cabinets??

Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 154

Laminate Flooring Under Kitchen Cabinets??

Is it OK to install laminate flooring first, then set kitchen cabinets on top of the laminate. I like the idea of the flooring running under the cabinets as long as it doesn't harm the laminate floor. Thoughts???

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 2,484

Re: Laminate Flooring Under Kitchen Cabinets??

NO. A floating floor must be allowed to move. Trapping it under the cabinets will not allow that to happen, not to mention void the warranty.

Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,144

That being said, I ran it under the cabinets in my house with no problems so far(3yrs)
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

they actually warranty that crap?!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to world llc For This Useful Post:
Calisota (04-18-2011), Framer53 (12-11-2010), Jimmy Cabinet (12-11-2010), msv (02-17-2011), pinwheel (12-11-2010), sbcontracting (04-20-2011)
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #5

Trade: Kitchen & Bath remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

It is possible, just follow the specs in the instruction manual. I never do it when using granite tops. Any time you need to fasten cabinets to floor, say for an island, you need to drill laminate 1/2 larger than fastner for expansion. In my opinion it is a better install not putting it under. Plus if you need to do a repair it is a lot more difficult if it is under the cabinets.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Floors
Rewards Points: 508

I have done it with no issues.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
NO. A floating floor must be allowed to move. Trapping it under the cabinets will not allow that to happen, not to mention void the warranty.

Wood flooring needs to move. Laminate does not move as it's just plastic junk.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 3,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Cabinet View Post

It's gonna move. It's gonna swell when it gets wet. IMO, there's no worse choice of flooring to put in a kitchen.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #9

Trade: General contractor

Laminate under kitchen cabinets?? No. Laminate floors float on underlay in order to prevent buckling and seperation. Needs to move. Not to mention any moisture that migh get to it in a kitchen. Bad idea my friend
Old 12-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

Trade: Flooring

bad idea needs to move , just run it to the cabinets and put some trim on them
Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Cabinet View Post
Sorry - just plain wrong. Laminate floors move more than engineered woods and more than some solids do. That's just plain fact. Your opinion of the product doesn't change the way it needs to be installed. For those of you bashing it as "junk", you might want to educate yourselves. That would be like saying cars are junk. Just like any consumer product, there are different quality levels.

Laminate flooring has been here for 20 years ( or better) and I can guarantee you its here to stay. It has it's place in the market, just like vinyl, tile, hardwood, carpet, and many other types of floor covering. I have made more money per man hour spent in the last 10 years on it than any other product. Me and two other mechanics installed 1250sf today as a matter of fact. $2700+ for an 8 hour day ain't chump change fellas :

There are quality products out there that will look good 10 or 15 years after being installed. Education is the key to a successful business guys. Spouting un-informed opinion and plain mis-information based on regurgitated info isn't, I promise you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
JumboJack (02-07-2011), nEighter (04-18-2011)
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Flooring Installer

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232323 View Post
Is it OK to install laminate flooring first, then set kitchen cabinets on top of the laminate. I like the idea of the flooring running under the cabinets as long as it doesn't harm the laminate floor. Thoughts???
You asked a very simple question. The simple answer is no, don't put it under the cabinets. The manufacturers say not to install it that way.

Armstrong certified
Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 3,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
Sorry - just plain wrong. Laminate floors move more than engineered woods and more than some solids do. That's just plain fact. Your opinion of the product doesn't change the way it needs to be installed. For those of you bashing it as "junk", you might want to educate yourselves. That would be like saying cars are junk. Just like any consumer product, there are different quality levels.

Laminate flooring has been here for 20 years ( or better) and I can guarantee you its here to stay. It has it's place in the market, just like vinyl, tile, hardwood, carpet, and many other types of floor covering. I have made more money per man hour spent in the last 10 years on it than any other product. Me and two other mechanics installed 1250sf today as a matter of fact. $2700+ for an 8 hour day ain't chump change fellas :

There are quality products out there that will look good 10 or 15 years after being installed. Education is the key to a successful business guys. Spouting un-informed opinion and plain mis-information based on regurgitated info isn't, I promise you.

Yes, it can be a cash cow, there's no question about that. I've made some serious coin laying it as well. Butthat still doesn't change my opinion of it being junk. It's a shame that craftmenship is measured now in 10-15 years rather than decades. I spent last week sanding floors from the 1920's & as long as that house stays standing, if they need sanded again in 20-30 years, there's still plenty of wear layer to do it again. That's where I measure quality, as do most of my clients.

Laminate floor in a kitchen is still a horrible idea. Hardwood in the kitchen is a bad idea. At least with hardwood, more than likely with a leak, the floor can still be salvaged. With laminate, it'll be a total loss & to me, that's junk.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Yes, it can be a cash cow, there's no question about that. I've made some serious coin laying it as well. Butthat still doesn't change my opinion of it being junk. It's a shame that craftmenship is measured now in 10-15 years rather than decades. I spent last week sanding floors from the 1920's & as long as that house stays standing, if they need sanded again in 20-30 years, there's still plenty of wear layer to do it again. That's where I measure quality, as do most of my clients.

Laminate floor in a kitchen is still a horrible idea. Hardwood in the kitchen is a bad idea. At least with hardwood, more than likely with a leak, the floor can still be salvaged. With laminate, it'll be a total loss & to me, that's junk.
I hear what you are saying. But. The issue I have is people mistakenly (imho) compare laminate to hardwood. Do you compare Hardwood to carpet? Nope. Vinyl? Nope. It is a different product for a different market, for a different use. I also set tile. It would be like me saying "you ever try to put hardwood in a shower - man that stuff is junk" It is junk to you because you are looking at it out of context for its intended use. I'm not making this stuff up. The manufacturers aren't selling boat loads of this stuff for over 20 years because it is "crap". There ARE crap laminates to be sure. I am a hardwood and tile/stone guy myself. If it were up to me those are the only two surfaces I would ever have in my own home. Those two surfaces aren't the perfect solution for everyone though. Different uses and different budgets determine what surface to use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
nEighter (04-18-2011), pinwheel (12-12-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #15

Trade: Finish Carpenter Cabinet Builder

IMHO laminate in the kitchen is not a good choice. My sister had it installed in her condo, the cat tipped over its water dish and the flooring buckled ( rose up one inch) this tells me NOT a good choice for water exposed areas. In hallways with kids and dogs there are some that are great for wear and tear, but I would still not put it in the kitchen or bathroom.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,856

A neighbor of mine installed laminate in his house. The next day, his wife knocked over a bottle of laundry detergent without noticing till a few hours later. The floor had swelled to 2X - 3X it's original thickness.

So, if you're setting up a mini-putt golf course....................................
Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
New Guy

Trade: Contracting/Carpenter

What if you glue the joints on the laminate flooring in the kitchen and bath area? Would that prevent the buckling and other water issues?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: flooring

It probably depends on the quality of the laminate. The safest solution is to not put it under the cabinets. I just did a job last month in a kitchen where the "construction worker" ex boyfriend installed the laminate under the cabinets and after three months the floor failed. They then tried to face nail the pieces back into place and that caused the rest of the floor to fail. It was cheap Ikea laminate so I'm sure it would have failed regardless further down the road but the cabinets were obviously the cause for this failure. Even though you might make more money sq ft wise on a full open room install, you'll save more not having to deal with it later if it fails.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Guru

Trade: Tile/Stone/Wood/Resilient/Floating/Cork/FuzzyStuff

Pergo and Dupont both say their lammies can handle 1200 psi and still move, so installing under chest freezers, wood burning fire places, gun safes ect. is ok. They just dont want you to screw it down, and cabinet installers arent going to care about your floor...
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #20

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zconstruction View Post
What if you glue the joints on the laminate flooring in the kitchen and bath area? Would that prevent the buckling and other water issues?
In most cases yes, certainly with Tite Bond II or similar. But you need to be careful as the tolerances for some of the laminates that are "tilt and click" installation are so narrow that even a small bead of glue will prevent the connection. Also, most of the manufacturers require a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter in bathrooms or other similar locations.
Also, laminates for sure have their place in the market and when installed correctly, with the appropriate product, work just as well and in many cases better then wood,vinyl or tile. Vacation homes alone are a HUGE market for laminate flooring.