Laminate Floor In Basement - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Laminate Floor In Basement

Old 10-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #1

Trade: Design/build
Rewards Points: 10

Laminate Floor In Basement

Any thoughts out there on putting laminate flooring in a basement? I have read several posts that say it is ok assuming that a vapor barrier is installed underneath, but I have also heard that the vapor barrier will cause moisture to migrate out to the walls and result in mold on the walls. I have thought about installing a Dricore subfloor, but it seems that this would have the same result. Anyone have experience with Dricore panels?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Laminate Floor In Basement

i haven't used dri core so i can't speak about it. However, i've installed laminate in basements and have replaced them just as often. Replaced one twice due to sump pump failures and repaired same floor because 1st floor toilet leaked through ceiling to the laminate. finally removed all laminate and tiled. if you choose to put laminate, make sure to get backup pump, redirect downspouts and in general check for any moisture problems.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #3

Trade: Design/build

Thanks olzo. The basement has a history of mild flooding, but we had an interior perimeter drain (tied into the toilet drain) installed as part of this remodel. Hopefully it will solve the problem, but we won't know until the November rains come (in Seattle). Obviously, that is a risk. If it does work, I am more concerned about the effect of water vapor getting trapped under the floor...as opposed to flooding which will obviously destroy laminate if it happens. Any thoughts on the vapor issue would be great.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #4

Trade: Professional Flooring Installer

If I were asked by a customer to install laminate in their basement and they told me information that you just told us, I would advise them to not even consider laminate period. Any moisture, and even high humidity from slab will cause the flooring to expand, swell, and fail. If they chose to move forward and do it anyway I would just advise to have good insurance as it will probably come in handy the first sign of trouble.

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers

www.AttentionToPerfection.com