Ivc Flexitec

Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
One guy crew

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Ivc Flexitec

Customer has ordered this fiberglass backed flooring for the kitchen in their rental house (14'8x11').Since this is a new product to me I thought I'd ask about the different installation methods. This room has an outside door in it and as it will be a high traffic area will the full glue down be the best installation? This is a full kitchen reno so this floor will be going in before the cupboards. TIA

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 2,408

Re: Ivc Flexitec

Yes I would full spread it. Keep in mind it takes a pressure sensitive adhesive. Do not fit it tight or allow transitions to pinch it as it will expand and contract a little bit. It is a great product and wears great. I installed it in my grandmother's entire house as she loooves to mop and tile is just too hard for her tastes.

Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #3

Trade: Flooring , Flooring Inspections
Rewards Points: 25

Nice stuff . installed lots of it .
Cut it 1/8" short around all walls .
Double face tape in front of any doorways.
Better to use a 3/8" roller for the glue then a trial . there is a video of the installation process on the net .
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 815

Heavy cabinetry can't be placed on top of this type of flooring. It can cause buckling. Small sections should be fine but a full set of cabinetry on top the floor will void the warranty as it is against the installation guidelines.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
One guy crew

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

There is an ivc labeled pressure sensitive glue at the retailer the flooring came from. Glue and double sided tape? The base cupboards and fridge/stove will be in a u configuration so would the floor have to be laid then cut after cupboards are in , before kick plate goes on ? Perhaps rip the kick plate down the floor thickness. I will have to reread those instructions.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Flooring Installer

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 582

http://vinylflooring.org/movie.html Here is an installation video.

Armstrong certified
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 10

Definitely use the full spread pressure sensitive adhesive. Love this stuff. It's even possible to replace rips or tears if you have left over vinyl. In my experience, the wood patterns especially, seam great!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #8

I'm a contractor with well over 20 years of experiences laying floors. My first time with this flooring was great I layed it in a trail home abd was amazed out how well it went down and how good the seems looked. so when my buddy asked me what type of flooring he should lay in his kitchen and dinning room I showed him the flexitec flooring and told him hands down this is the way to go. Well that was a big mastic. When we layed the flooring THE First TIME it went down real nice and easy, He came flying into my work the next morning and told me that the floor had shrunk. I couldn't relive him so I went to his house and it did shrink about 3/4 of an inch. later that day I got on the phone with the store we bought it from and told them I wanted to clam warranty, the store said they had to look in to it and call me back two days latter i got a call from the head install of the state and he told me I installed it wrong. I told him that I had followed the instructions to the letter and if he wanted he could come down and see for him self and after going around with him he finally gave me his boss phone number it has be 4 weeks now this and I have left multiple messages and no call back we have re installed this floor now 3 time. and each time we have different problems. guess what we are now installing tile. DON'T BYE THIS CRAP
Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Flooring Installer

I have installed hundreds of yards of this and not one callback. Go reread the instructions.

Armstrong certified
Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #10

I had Follow the instructions to letter.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 815

I'm willing to bet the place you bought it from was selling seconds and got a hold of a batch with backing issues.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo895 View Post
I had Follow the instructions to letter.
I'm not saying you do this, but I have seen many installers, when I ran inspections for a store, that would say they did everything by the book. Then when I would get there, well they found a short cut that worked much better.

You must leave an expansion gap around all objects. You must let the adhesive dry completely before laying the vinyl in. You cannot roll the vinyl. You must put DB face tape in the doorways. And most important, they have changed installation instructions several times. You need to constantly be aware of their changes. And I don't know how many know this, but for some reason the instructions and adhesive is different in some other countries. In New Zealand, for example, they use a different adhesive, lay it in wet and cut it tight.

Armstrong certified
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
MAULEMALL (03-17-2012)