Installing Solid Maple Flooring On Advantec Subfloor With No Fasteners

Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 8

Installing Solid Maple Flooring On Advantec Subfloor With No Fasteners

I am in the middle of a garage build with a shop downstairs and the upstairs being left unfinished to be converted to a living space in the future. The 4" slab has PEX laid for hydronic heating. The plan was to for the upstairs to have some other heating option to be determined when they are ready to finish the space. I just finished the rough framing including the subfloor and steps. Now, my customers are asking about the possibility putting hydronic heating in the upstairs floor, as well. They would want that to go in now in this initial phase so that it could all be set for when they finish the space.

I dont want to raise the height of the subfloor because that would throw off the steps. What I would like to do is tack the PEX up under the advantec with aluminum heat transfer plates, insulation, and a radiant barrier below, but if I put the pex flush against the subfloor, it will be in the way of future flooring fasteners.

Im ready to run the electric but if I am going to put PEX in the floor, I would rather do that before I have wires running everywhere.

What do you all suggest? Is there an option for running the pex through the joists while leaving space for hardwood flooring fasteners?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 3,862

Re: Installing Solid Maple Flooring On Advantec Subfloor With No Fasteners

Running the pex not in contact with the floor and without heat transfer plates will lower the btu output quite a bit.

Advertisement

Last edited by Golden view; 01-24-2018 at 10:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
sparehair (01-26-2018), TNTSERVICES (02-10-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

My customer has a bunch of rough cut maple 1x6 which he had logged from his land. He just had the idea of getting it shaped into flooring to be used in the garage apartment I'm building for him. He also wants hydronic radiant floor heating underneath. The garage is already roughed in and the floor elevation set. Problem is, the flooring isnt ready yet, and pex tubing running under the subfloor would be in the way of the flooring fasteners. Is there any way to lay a decent solid wood floor on an advantec subfloor without fasteners? Sounds like a pipe dream to me, but I figured I would ask on here, anyway, before I tell him it cant be done.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,068

Threads merged. Please do not start multiple threads with the same subject.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthereal View Post
My customer has a bunch of rough cut maple 1x6 which he had logged from his land. He just had the idea of getting it shaped into flooring to be used in the garage apartment I'm building for him. He also wants hydronic radiant floor heating underneath. The garage is already roughed in and the floor elevation set. Problem is, the flooring isnt ready yet, and pex tubing running under the subfloor would be in the way of the flooring fasteners. Is there any way to lay a decent solid wood floor on an advantec subfloor without fasteners? Sounds like a PIPE DREAM to me, but I figured I would ask on here, anyway, before I tell him it cant be done.

ISWUDT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
ryanthereal (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #6

I admit, I have only ever done radiant floors in concrete slabs on grade, but I have found lots of resources telling me this is a way do it when you have a joist system in place and
you can't spare to raise the floor's elevation.

My plan was to put 1/2" PEX 8" O.C. throughout. The upstairs is only about 650 sq ft, and the building has a heat loss of about 50,000 BTU.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthereal View Post
I am in the middle of a garage build with a shop downstairs and the upstairs being left unfinished to be converted to a living space in the future. The 4" slab has PEX laid for hydronic heating. The plan was to for the upstairs to have some other heating option to be determined when they are ready to finish the space. I just finished the rough framing including the subfloor and steps. Now, my customers are asking about the possibility putting hydronic heating in the upstairs floor, as well. They would want that to go in now in this initial phase so that it could all be set for when they finish the space.

I dont want to raise the height of the subfloor because that would throw off the steps. What I would like to do is tack the PEX up under the advantec with aluminum heat transfer plates, insulation, and a radiant barrier below, but if I put the pex flush against the subfloor, it will be in the way of future flooring fasteners.

Im ready to run the electric but if I am going to put PEX in the floor, I would rather do that before I have wires running everywhere.

What do you all suggest? Is there an option for running the pex through the joists while leaving space for hardwood flooring fasteners?
Why don't you lay the floor, then install the pex.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
Morning Wood (02-15-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Why don't you lay the floor, then install the pex.

Also, tell your flooring installer to use 1.5 instead of 2 inch cleats.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,206

the problem is the home owner and his custom flooring- if he does it to correct dimentions, you'd be ok. 3/4" + 3/4" =1.5", espeically if your using a stapler on a t&G. The angle nail wont puncture the subfloor. Add some underlay and you'd be golden.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 516

is the space going to be continually conditioned (heat/AC)? Even the 2-1/4" solid wood flooring shrinks in the winter and if the way he get's the tree's cut may or may not add to the dimensional instability (movement).

I would try to talk the client into gluing down an engineered floor or using tile. Tile wouldn't be my first choice over a large span floor system unless I knew the deflection was not an issue.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #11
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,274

Can you glue down regular hardwood? I install a lot of flooring, but it has always been floating stuff, or glue down engineered.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #12
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,600

Absolute first thing to do would be to bitch slap your customer, and then yourself for letting them F your schedule up and be wishy washy about finishes and timing.
If they want to do a solid wood floor above the garage, then you'll have to do staple up underneath the floor. Also, maple is not my first choice for flooring with radiant heat.
You could use climate panel, which is 1/2" plywood and then apply a 1/4-3/8" thick flooring surface over that. That would keep you within specs for your current framed stairs. But you would be stuck with a floting floor probably.
Is this apartment going to be used alot, or is it an extra in law apartment? Radiant might not be a good choice in general if it won't be used alot. Honestly, I think I would look into just yanking your stairs and rebuilding them so you can add the extra 1/2". Are you already maxed out on riser height or something? All you really need to gain is 1/2". That should be easy enough. I mean how many risers are there. You could probably get that with just shimming.

Advertisement