Installing Solid Hardwood On Slab

Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter & Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,028

Installing Solid Hardwood On Slab

After having failed the first time I want to make sure it gets done right this time . I'm installing a 1200 sq. ft. dance floor for a dance studio . The problem that I had the first time is the moisture from the concrete slab on grade eventually made it's way through to the solid oak flooring . I first noticed the floor start to cup after a few months and then start to buckle after 6 months . Time was a big issue and I could'nt follow all the proper procedures such as proper acclimation of the wood . I used a 6 ml vapor barrier on top of the concrete and 3/4'' ply on top of the vapor barrier . My biggest concern now is what to use on top of the concrete to seal it from the moisture . I tested the concrete with a moisture meter and it shows on average 12% moisture . I also tested the plywood and oak flooring , ply was 10% and oak was between 7-10% moisture .

The problem with the moisture barriers is that when fasteners are used it no longer is a moisture barrier . The plywood is used to help soften the dance floor and when fastening the ply to the concrete it penetrates the moisture barrier . I'm thinking to put a moisture barrier above and below the plywood . Thoughts on that ? Maybe 6ml on top of concrete and M.V.P. on top of plywood . Can M.V.P. be used to install the solid oak floor on top of plywood without fasteners ? I have no experience with M.V.P. or similar product . I also know I have a moisture problem with the concrete slab from previous flooding so i'm I going to fail again ? Should I look into using engineered flooring ? Theres a lot to think about and I know some off you floor guys could lead me in the right direction . Thanks Ken .

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Remodeler

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

Re: Installing Solid Hardwood On Slab

Isn't the recommendation two layers of plywood and I think two layers of 30# felt, or something like that, i'm sure someone will be along to correct me, or be a little more specific.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,394

Not sure if I posted this in your other thread on this topic.

Look at this product:

http://www.moxie-intl.com/existingconstruction.htm

Give them a call & explain your problem. They are knowledgeable & very helpful folks. I've used this product several times with excellent results.

6 mil is a vapor rertarder not a vapor barrier.
Have you done a RH Test on the slab?
Eaglei (05-24-2013), PrecisionFloors (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 554

No moisture barrier sandwich! Ardex has some excellent moisture mitigation products. I would go that route with two layers of plywood ran perpendicular to one another, only fastened to each other - not the slab. A floating subfloor if you will.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
The Following User Says Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
Eaglei (05-25-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 2,748

Never used this stuff,may have some potential.

http://extremehowto.com/installing-a-floating-subfloor/
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Eaglei (05-25-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 1,620

I'm no expert on hardwood floors as most of the times I see them installed it was on block and beam floors but the couple of times I see them installed on a slab on grade they used a foam board glued to the concrete with the seams taped and then plywood glued to the foam board with the hardwood glued or stapled to the plywood. No idea how it held up long term but I ain't ever seem anyone over here ever do them like this. May be worth looking into.
Eaglei (05-25-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,890

So to add to the concern are we using SS fasteners with the base layer of ply treated? I dont like the idea of punching into the slab with anchors either, defeats the vapor barrier.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 816

My fave method is to just plop 3/4 inch Advantech down over 10 mil polyethylene. If you're paranoid about panelization, just take some metal flashing and sister everything together.

It's great. Super fast. Super stable.

Last edited by ccoffer; 05-25-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: more
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 816

Attaching plywood to concrete is dumb. A waste.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter & Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
So to add to the concern are we using SS fasteners with the base layer of ply treated? I dont like the idea of punching into the slab with anchors either, defeats the vapor barrier.
I used the hilti zamak pin bolts , drill first then drive them in with a hammer . I'm not sure what metal there made of but there made for concrete and very expensive considering the amount I needed .
Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,890

My concern was with treated plywood and ground contact normal fasters will corode.

Advertisement