Installation Rates For Laminate Flooring

Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Home repair/improvement

Trade: class C contractor in VA
Rewards Points: 10

Installation Rates For Laminate Flooring

Our business has been "flipping" houses and now has to head out into doing work for others. I am trying to determine the average rate that is charged for the installation of wood laminate flooring and also Vinyl flooring. If anyone could help with some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Installation Rates For Laminate Flooring

tree fiddy...firm!

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile
Rewards Points: 500

Ah!!!!!! So the truth is: You have no idea what you're doing and now that the "house flipping scams" have dried up you need the help of ligitimate tradesmen. Check out Craig's list, that'll be right up your alley.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Home repair/improvement

Trade: class C contractor in VA
Rewards Points: 10

Bud Cline, I have been Buying and selling homes for well over 20 years. I also purchase homes and rent them out to others. I have been doing work as a " tradesman" for quite some time but haven't had to work for others. Since the banks are slowing up on financing many types of real estate purchases, we are going to do other types of work ( that we are fully trained on) to help get through the tight times. So, as I agree there are many out there who "flip" houses and dont know what they are doing, we are very good at our craft and just never had to actually price out for others.
Since this site is a site that contractors can use to get assistance/information from others and you obviously dont have that same purpose for being on this site, maybe you need to try some other site that deals with people with your same mentality.
The Following User Says Thank You to dadmarkey For This Useful Post:
GrasshopperPete (09-05-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmarkey View Post
........Since this site is a site that contractors can use to get assistance/information from others and you obviously dont have that same purpose for being on this site, maybe you need to try some other site that deals with people with your same mentality.
Since you are new here,
it hardly seems appropriate for you
to try to define the rules for others.
A tad bit of research (there is a Search button
up top). would have shown that "How much"
questions aren't very popular.
Mostly because they are impossible
to answer.
Read here....

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/ju...portant-60787/
http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pr...success-27899/

Welcome.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

Since this site is a site that contractors can use to get assistance/information from others and you obviously dont have that same purpose for being on this site, maybe you need to try some other site that deals with people with your same mentality.

Quite an attitude for 2 posts
Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

I
Hate
House
Flippers....
Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile

Quote:
I have been doing work as a " tradesman" for quite some time but haven't had to work for others.
If this is true hot shot then you are well apprised of the costs of performing those tasks.

Quote:
Since the banks are slowing up on financing many types of real estate purchases, we are going to do other types of work
There is always money available for the credit worthy, I suspect the problem of lack of funds availability lies elsewhere. maybe the banks don't like flippers either.

Quote:
we are going to do other types of work ( that we are fully trained on)
If that were true you wouldn't come to a place like this to gather your eggs. You would already have that information in your own hen house.

Quote:
maybe you need to try some other site that deals with people with your same mentality
And you now have how many posts and contributions to this website?

Quote:
I am trying to determine the average rate that is charged for the installation of wood laminate flooring and also Vinyl flooring.
So you can leave the comfort of your "well over twenty year" niche and move in on the guys that have dedicated their lives to what it is you think you now want to do? What's it going to be next week, dentistry?

People that come here to get a quick education about pricing a field they don't belong in don't last. Try spending some time here and offering something and contributing to the boards THEN ask for assistance in estimating your simple jobs. Not many here will answer your basic "How much should I charge" questions. Those questions are evidence of laziness and inexperience and an inability to reason things out on your own. You need to arrive at your own pricing for your own area, that's the best answer anyone can provide you with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
Snobnd (08-28-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
Since you are new here,
it hardly seems appropriate for you
to try to define the rules for others.
A tad bit of research (there is a Search button
up top). would have shown that "How much"
questions aren't very popular.
Mostly because they are impossible
to answer.
Read here....

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/ju...portant-60787/
http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pr...success-27899/

Welcome.
How Much time a day do you spend here?...
Old 08-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
How Much time a day do you spend here?...
Depends on the day.
Today it has to do with
how sore I am from the rest
of the week.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
Project Manager HFH..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post

So you can leave the comfort of your "well over twenty year" niche and move in on the guys that have dedicated their lives to what it is you think you now want to do? What's it going to be next week, dentistry?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmarkey View Post
Bud Cline, I have been Buying and selling homes for well over 20 years. I also purchase homes and rent them out to others. I have been doing work as a " tradesman" for quite some time but haven't had to work for others. Since the banks are slowing up on financing many types of real estate purchases, we are going to do other types of work ( that we are fully trained on) to help get through the tight times. So, as I agree there are many out there who "flip" houses and dont know what they are doing, we are very good at our craft and just never had to actually price out for others.
Ok, now it is my turn.

Welcome to the board. Please go to the introduction are and introduce yourself.
Now in reguards to your answer, it depends.

Instead of the "going" rate, sit down and figure the time involved in installing this and add your appropriate overhead and profit. Easy isn't it?

The response you recieved is what is reserved for first time posters with "how much" questions. Hang around, talk to the men, and read previous threads about how people will respond to your questions.

Now back to reality!

TREE Fitty!!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
Project Manager HFH..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post

The response you recieved is what is reserved for first time posters with "how much" questions. Hang around, talk to the men, and read previous threads about how people will respond to your questions.
While I appreciate your olive branch approach,in this case I have to disagree...
Around here house flippers are just a smidge more popular that the Taliban.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator

Shouldn't this be in the Business forum?

That way we could steer you to small business classes.

These classes will teach you how to come to your "going rate", not someone else's going rate.

Installation pricing, is not something you grab from thin air, and lets get this straight right now, no two projects are the same, even if they are the same floor plan, right next door to each other.

Overhead + what you feel your time is worth and any extra, even a mark-up, or a fudge factor, divided by the sq.ft., Now you have your going rate, for your company, to stay in business.

But everyone knows that.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 2,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJack View Post
While I appreciate your olive branch approach,in this case I have to disagree...
Around here house flippers are just a smidge more popular that the Taliban.
I see your point. The business model for flippin, in my understanding, is to buy low, do as little as possible to spruce it up to gain the maximum margin at resale.

I once heard Armondo brag that he would often beat the subs down in price AFTER they started work, but then he would get them a tool or something (less than the full contracted amount - on sale somewhere) and try and smooth them over.

Making money is not that important to me to always slice and shaft people for it. Renovating / remodelling has a special purpose in this world and there are people, good and fair, who do it. But when I see some hollywood chick duo, made for TV, un-Reality show - I cringe.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #16
Project Manager HFH..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
I see your point. The business model for flippin, in my understanding, is to buy low, do as little as possible to spruce it up to gain the maximum margin at resale.

I once heard Armondo brag that he would often beat the subs down in price AFTER they started work, but then he would get them a tool or something (less than the full contracted amount - on sale somewhere) and try and smooth them over.

Making money is not that important to me to always slice and shaft people for it. Renovating / remodelling has a special purpose in this world and there are people, good and fair, who do it. But when I see some hollywood chick duo, made for TV, un-Reality show - I cringe.
You should see some of the things I have been asked to do to get a house "sellable"...No thank you...
Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.