Hardwood Flooring And Water Damage

Old 02-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #1

Trade: carpentry, restoration

Hardwood Flooring And Water Damage

Made a post yesterday with no replies yet so I am trying again. Just have a few questions relating to water damaged hardwood floors.
1) Is it really possible to effectively dry a hardwood floor ( or in between layers of floor without demo.
2) can you use radiant heat to ones advantage
3) Because of mold concerns is a r&r scenario what should always be recommended to absolve from liability

Any thoughts from anyone who has experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Go Giants.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #2

Trade: Basement Waterproofing

Re: Hardwood Flooring And Water Damage

Where are the hardwood floors? If they're in the basement, then it might be a good idea to just remove them and install a polythylene vapor barrier down. Carpet can be OK on a basement floor, but wood never works. Mill Creek flooring is a really good alternative if you like the look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Made a post yesterday with no replies yet so I am trying again. Just have a few questions relating to water damaged hardwood floors.
1) Is it really possible to effectively dry a hardwood floor ( or in between layers of floor without demo.
2) can you use radiant heat to ones advantage
3) Because of mold concerns is a r&r scenario what should always be recommended to absolve from liability

Any thoughts from anyone who has experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Go Giants.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

Try to stick a dehumidifier in there for a while and see what happens. If they got wet once they are likely to get wet again. Its a long shot but if it works, it worth it. Takes BW's advice. Probably best to rip them up and put down a good moisture barrier if its bad enough. I have seen people put down plastic, then strip out the concrete before putting down hardwood. It works but your almost stuck with the dehumidifier for good.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

This is why double posting can be a bad thing.
Your first post had more info.
I'm no expert, but if it's buckled,
it probably won't go back down.
You can just keep air moving
both above and below, and wait and see.
I wouldn't try jacking the heat,
and de-humidifier? Only to get rid of the
initial water problem.
Keep air moving, and maintain "normal"
temp and humidity.
That's my take.
Mildew? Can't say from here.
Maybe some of the flooring gods will
be here by and by, but it will help
if you add all of the information from
the first post into THIS thread!
Along with some detail about how
and how long it got wet to begin with.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Old school Ranger

Trade: flooring

If the source of the water has been resolved and the floor is not buckled it probably wont. Keep air moving until all apparent moisture is gone. The floor will reach equilibrium with the environment. If the floor was performing well before the water damage then it will continue to perform once the problem is corrected. The hardwood will expand when the moisture content is increased. The amount of expansion is directly proportional to the amount of moisture it has received. After the floor had dried it will relax and stabilize. If there is no apparent cupping or wide gapes between the boards you are good to go. If there is wide gapes or cupping you can sand and finish the affected area and still leave the floor in service. If the cupping is severe and the floor buckled and loosened the fasteners that section of the floor will have to be replaced. The mold issue should be addressed by a mold remediation company. I believe they can take air samples and check for airborne spores but I doubt that they can determine if it came from under the floor with out an invasive inspection.