'Gymnasium' Finish

Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Floorist
Rewards Points: 154

'Gymnasium' Finish

I was contacted by a customer who already sanded and stained their floor. They only want me to apply the finish.
I inspected the floor, showed them the (suprisingly few) drum marks, etc. and the floor looks ready to finish. They used a miniwax stain and have purchased enough water-base Varathane for two coats. Here are the issues I would like your input on:

1. The customer has big dogs. They talked to an 'old-timer' who said he would always use some type of 'gymnasium additive' in the final coat, presumably a urethane/ acrylic hardener. My guess is they will need to switch to something other than Varathane (e.g dura seal x-terra) if they want something 'high-traffic'. UPDATE: They decided to go with Bona Mega. Any thoughts?
2. How about simply applying a third coat?
3. Any concerns about water-based over Minwax stain? Most of the stain has been drying a few days, but time-constraints might have me working in a hallway stained less than a day before. UPDATE: I will be in there a little more than 1 day after stain is applied. With temperatures recently ranging 70-83, humidity 55%, think that will fly?

Thanks in advance for the thoughtful replies.

Last edited by TopFloor; 09-29-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: some details have changed

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Old school Ranger

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 152

Re: 'Gymnasium' Finish

DO NOT USE VERATHANE!!!!!!!!!!! Duraseal makes an oil modified gym floor finish or use A canalized (2part) water borne finish. If you use the waterborne make sure the oil stain is completely dry. I doubt the hallway will be sufficiently dry in such a short period of time.

Advertisement

Last edited by floorinstall; 09-28-2011 at 10:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to floorinstall For This Useful Post:
TopFloor (09-28-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Orlando Car

Trade: certified floor covering installer.
Rewards Points: 1,154

They are obviously looking for a pro finish.. A good friend of mine said , if they pay for it , who cares about the rest . Even if they want me to work in a pink tutu... Do it , don't worry , get your money..
( 510 ) 760 - 6810
The Following User Says Thank You to Floormasta78 For This Useful Post:
TopFloor (09-29-2011)

Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: FI
Rewards Points: 704

I suggest using Bona Traffic or Basic Coating StreetShoe. Bona Mega is not non-yellowing+ not strong as these.
You need to wait at least 3 days before applying water base over oil based stains.depends on the humidity levels etc. Double check and be sure the stain is completely dry before, otherwise finish will move the stain.
You should be very clear that whatever under the finish is not your problem,stain patches etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to astor For This Useful Post:
TopFloor (09-29-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,340

How do you verify the stain is dry Astor?

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 09-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,422

I did a floor refinishing job for someone, they had a racquetball court inside theirs house, and I spoke with a few guys who do gym floor refinishing for schools, etc and they recommended to use Dura Seal Gymthane 450 Finish... this stuff is designed for gym floors and resists marks or scuffing.
TopFloor (10-02-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

Hey metro a few ways to see is stain is dry 1. Take a rag and wipe the floor with it if stain comes onto rag it's not dry. 2. Feel the wood it has a sort of moist feeling when still wet 3. Moisture reader you have to know the moisture content of the wood prior to application of the stain4. Always do a test area in a non conspicuous spot I.e. Closet
Metro M & L (10-01-2011), TopFloor (10-02-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Particulate Filter

Rewards Points: 1,340

Seems like a moisture meter wouldn't measure and oil base stain if it's testing water's electrical conductivity. I suppose if you take before, during and after the accuracy wouldn't be as important as verifying the conductivity has returned to its original level.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
TopFloor (10-02-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: FI
Rewards Points: 704

Oil based stains takes at least two-three days to dry, depends on humidity level, temperature,air circulation etc.
After two-three days, I apply in a closet 4" x 6" area water based finish with microfiber pad and wipe it to clean with white cloth, any un-dried stain pigments shows.If it is a little, it is ok,it will show some even after two weeks,check area to see any stain movement marks. Somehow you can able to tell with experience I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astor For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-01-2011), TopFloor (10-02-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

Trade: Hardwood flooring
Rewards Points: 25

I think having dogs my self and wood flooring the largest issue here is the nails wich need to be maintained it would not matter what kind of finish you put down dogs nails need to be addressed. good luck with that www.wentzwood.com

Advertisement