Getting Laminate Under Door Casing And Jambs

Old 08-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #1

Trade: i am a small remodeling contractor been at this most my life
Rewards Points: 77

Getting Laminate Under Door Casing And Jambs

hello again..most laminate floorin ive done has been the kind u lay flat and tap together locking it..well this job is Armstrong laminate and its a lil different its lays in at an angle then u push it on down locking it in place u have to do the hole row before rollin it on down so my question is how do u get this laminate under the caseing and jambs after u under cut them ? you cant lay this brand flat and drive it together cause it damages the laminate .. please help ty.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #2

Trade: Remodeling, Home Improvement, Decks, Etc.
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Getting Laminate Under Door Casing And Jambs

I am not a flooring expert but when working with this type of flooring, I usually build the floor outside the area where I want to install and then slide the assembly in to place as a unit.

Another option would be to use a hand planer and to plane off the lip on the tounge enough to allow you to tap and glue the two pieces together.
hope this helps

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #3

Trade: i am a small remodeling contractor been at this most my life
Rewards Points: 77

Thanks Mike this is exactely what i did..i was just wondering if any of the old pro's might know a good trick or a better way...thanks again'

Old 09-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Better answer than mine, I was researching about using a jack to jack the door, frame and wall up.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
my own boss

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

i put the armstrong (the lowest quaility in their line) in a ex GF house. i fought that stuff the entire time..good thing was she replaced all the doors so i didnt have that headache....long warranty but fine print says if its not glued at the seams water voids it....guess what....glass of water gets spilled in the CENTER of the room....instant bubbles...countless phone calls and many more hours of replacing.......otherwise the girl loves the floor
Old 09-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Usually you can just whack it on the end with a tap block and get that last row to snap together.
Just use a jap saw or undercut saw to cut the botom of the door casing off. Put a scrap piece of the laminate on the floor then set the saw blade on top and saw away.
If it is really junk you might have to glue the last row. I just finished 450sqft of 8 year waranty res, 2 year war in commercial. It was a pain.
Good luck.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Traveling Floor Crew

Trade: The traveling flooring crew, Wood,Tile, Laminate, Stone.....Commercial or Residential we do it all!!
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
hello again..most laminate floorin ive done has been the kind u lay flat and tap together locking it..well this job is Armstrong laminate and its a lil different its lays in at an angle then u push it on down locking it in place u have to do the hole row before rollin it on down so my question is how do u get this laminate under the caseing and jambs after u under cut them ? you cant lay this brand flat and drive it together cause it damages the laminate .. please help ty.
The way that works the easiest is to make the cut to fit and take a chisel and just shave the top of the locking system off ( its a little notch that sticks up ) then put a lite bead of carpenters glue in the groove to hold in place, just like the old school Pergo floors.

Note: you will need to do the butt and long joints

Advertisement

Last edited by RhinoFlooring; 01-02-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Forgot the Note