Floor Protection

Old 08-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Floor Protection

Hey all,
I'm about to start a kitchen remodel job for a client who is SUPER paranoid of me hurting her hardwood floor.

I used that floor fabric defender or whatever before and didn't care much for it. I don't particularly care to replace her floor because I dropped something on it and not sure I want to use something as thick or non-flexible as masonite.

I seem to recall seeing some sort of thick roll out board on a job but can't remember the name for the life of me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-John Redder

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Re: Floor Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemodelKing View Post
Hey all,
I'm about to start a kitchen remodel job for a client who is SUPER paranoid of me hurting her hardwood floor.

I used that floor fabric defender or whatever before and didn't care much for it. I don't particularly care to replace her floor because I dropped something on it and not sure I want to use something as thick or non-flexible as masonite.

I seem to recall seeing some sort of thick roll out board on a job but can't remember the name for the life of me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-John Redder

I use this all the time, no issues

http://www.protectiveproducts.com/durarunner.html

Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,054

Whatever you use, watch any subs or employees. They won't care as much as you and usually will not admit fault.

I just roughed in a kitchen last week (electrical only) with a brand new FINISHED hardwood floor (don't ask-yes I know it was not in the right order but I was not the GC on this job)

I prepped the floor with rosin paper and masonite and did all my cuts and bends (conduit) outside. The GC got a bill for the prep, and I took it all with me when I left so I could inspect the floor.

I also told the GC that he needed to come out and sign off that there was no damage.

He sent his project manager-a grasshopper, and I have a signature and pictures.

I don't know your role in the remodel, but just CYA.
SDC (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
Whatever you use, watch any subs or employees. They won't care as much as you and usually will not admit fault.

I just roughed in a kitchen last week (electrical only) with a brand new FINISHED hardwood floor (don't ask-yes I know it was not in the right order but I was not the GC on this job)

I prepped the floor with rosin paper and masonite and did all my cuts and bends (conduit) outside. The GC got a bill for the prep, and I took it all with me when I left so I could inspect the floor.

I also told the GC that he needed to come out and sign off that there was no damage.

He sent his project manager-a grasshopper, and I have a signature and pictures.

I don't know your role in the remodel, but just CYA.

Good move on your part. I have great subs, but they usually do not go to this extent.
The Following User Says Thank You to SDC For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,030

good man, never heard of anyone doing that

as for protection, any floors that arent getting touched ill put down plastic for the fine dust, 1" foam then osb as its the cheapest thing you can get, so me guys use masonite because its thinner but $5 more at times
rselectric1 (08-25-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
MHIC licensed contractor

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 150

Taking pictures, with a time and date stamp, of the existing conditions and any existing damage is a good first step. In a previous contracting life, customers were constantly trying to get us to repair or replace damage from the last guy.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
CliffBuilder

Trade: General Contractor

With a name like "RemodelKing" I would think you should know information like this ...Just kidding, man.

I pretty much only use Ram Board now for all my jobs. It's pliable, roll-able, and reusable. Also, I've "accidentally" dropped things on it with no damage to the floor underneath. If you go to their site, www.ramboard.com, you can read all about it.

Hope that helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffBuilder For This Useful Post:
kevjob (08-30-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #8

That's what it was!! Ram Board! That's what i saw. Thanks so much!

Yeah, I will still be definitely keeping an eye on my employees that they don't damage something. Great idea about taking the pictures beforehand!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
The Baconator

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffBuilder View Post
With a name like "RemodelKing" I would think you should know information like this ...Just kidding, man.

I pretty much only use Ram Board now for all my jobs. It's pliable, roll-able, and reusable. Also, I've "accidentally" dropped things on it with no damage to the floor underneath. If you go to their site, www.ramboard.com, you can read all about it.

Hope that helps!
Yep, good stuff, I've paid around $60 for a 3' x 100' roll, iirc. I was installing a coffered ceiling on an 18' ceiling and lost the 18v battery out of my dewalt gun (on finished hardwoods) ... nothing', not even a small ding or scratch.

I don't know if I just got lucky and it landed flat, but it sold me on the ramboard. We had scaffoldign rolling all over it too and no problem.

Good stuff.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
Yep, good stuff, I've paid around $60 for a 3' x 100' roll, iirc. I was installing a coffered ceiling on an 18' ceiling and lost the 18v battery out of my dewalt gun (on finished hardwoods) ... nothing', not even a small ding or scratch.

I don't know if I just got lucky and it landed flat, but it sold me on the ramboard. We had scaffoldign rolling all over it too and no problem.

Good stuff.
Wow, ya, that's good to know. I just got a couple rolls since I hear you can reuse it pretty easily. I mean hopefully I won't be dropping anything from 18' up but it's good to know that I could!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Renovation contractor, finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

When I have a remodel that involves alot of demo and finished floors, I will buy new drop cloths and use painters tape then a layer of 3/8" plywood over taped down with tuck tape so nothing moves.

I price this material into the project as well as the appropriate mark up.

Proper prep takes time, but is worth every effort when you can walk away with a check and no damages!

As a rule every day, every job gets drop cloths from the door to where we are working.

Shoe covers for estimates and for preliminary walk throughs!

Thanks Chad
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
MasterCraft-KB

Trade: Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

I'm on a kitchen now-complete demo. There's a dinning room with hardwood floors between kitchen and garage which is where i enter and exit house. I sliced one side of the boxes cabinetry came in and put the cardboard down on hardwood and taped with painters tape...seems to work great and is really inexpensive.

MasterCraft Kitchen & Bath
www.MasterCraft-KB.com
Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
The Baconator

Trade: Carpenter

Quote:
Wow, ya, that's good to know. I just got a couple rolls since I hear you can reuse it pretty easily. I mean hopefully I won't be dropping anything from 18' up but it's good to know that I could!

I wouldn't want to re-use it (you could, if you have more patience than I do ).

I just price it in as a material cost (and the labor to put it down), and it gets trashed at the end of a project.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Floors San Francisco

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 75

This is the pain with remodel and protection existing hardwood floors.
Lay the red paper on the clean floor first, do not tape directly on the wood unless it is prefinished with aluminum oxide.
Then protect the floor with protective material thick and heavy.
This is protect the floor %100 just make sure do not pull the tape at any time of the construction because the debris will get under wood floor and make the dents.

Last edited by angus242; 10-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #15

Trade: remodeling, siding, windows, decks
Rewards Points: 75

Plastic, then sheetrock. Works good.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
Sam

Trade: Wood Cork and Leather Flooring and more
Rewards Points: 500

I use laminate flooring underlayment to cover the stairs while I work on site. Thin pieces of wood attached with 3/4" finishing brads with,1 or 2 holds in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor Protection-sam_1459.jpg  

Featuring Click Leather Floors
http://www.designershardwood.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astor For This Useful Post:
ChimneyHill (04-11-2012), JohnFRWhipple (09-29-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
New Guy

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Hey all,
Yep, as somebody said I think Ram Board is what you are looking for. You can also use this kraft paper stuff, but its not going to give you impact protection if you drop something sharp or heavy.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
www.No-Curb.com

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing

I think you are mistaken about the floor protection. I have dropped drills, hammers and more from my 4' Step and these items have fallen from heights of 8 feet.

We had an attic hatch fall from 8' 4" and completley tear the Ram Board.

The floor was undamaged and the Ram Board section re patched with a new square overlay...

A shower pan being protected with Ram Board. Watch out for those dry wallers...

Last edited by JohnFRWhipple; 05-27-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeler

I just used the roll cardboard floor protection from my lumber yard. I do not know if Ramboard is made by one manufacturer and rebranded, as this has a different name.(Builderboard?). The second 25' run unrolled off this roll chased me across the room. The manufacturer said it may be old stock that has been rolled/stored for too long. Even with a reverse re-roll and blue tape the edges/ends were up off the floor. Be advised. Great protection though.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
CliffBuilder

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11678 View Post
I just used the roll cardboard floor protection from my lumber yard. I do not know if Ramboard is made by one manufacturer and rebranded, as this has a different name.(Builderboard?). The second 25' run unrolled off this roll chased me across the room. The manufacturer said it may be old stock that has been rolled/stored for too long. Even with a reverse re-roll and blue tape the edges/ends were up off the floor. Be advised. Great protection though.
haha, that's pretty funny. I believe that "builderboard" is a actually a cheaper knockoff version of Ram Board.