Flexitec/tarkett Fiberglass?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #1

Trade: baker flooring
Rewards Points: 10

Flexitec/tarkett Fiberglass?

Whats the scoop on these type of floors ,am i the only one who thinks they s--k.I will never lay another without fullspreading it,floating isnt working for me.Whats your thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 508

Re: Flexitec/tarkett Fiberglass?

No you are not alone in that feeling.... a little birdie told me that their recommended installation procedures will be changing to full spread with a peach type glue. Go figure. I am replacing 40sy of the stuff in a couple of weeks due to buckling (and its not trapped anywhere??) Garbage, I refuse to loose lay it anymore.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #3

I replaced two so far, one with underlayment.Had the rep out and he did his song and dance on how even though it was 1/4 inch short that the metal was to tight causing the problem.I asked why it was buckling in front of the stove and refridge,never did get a streight answer.Tarkett is my biggest problem,flexiteck did buckle in front of refridge also.Keep in mind these arent small wrinkles,in a 12+15 room 3 or 4 one inch high wrinkles 3 to 4 feet long and in differant directions.Not one tight spot other then three 1 inch flat metal in 36inch doorways.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
Paul

Sounds exactly like my experiences schnook. Rep was the same way with me also. Not so many problems with Flexitec, I actually like it for the most part. It is heavy enough to eliminate the buckling issues for the most part. I think I will have to replace another one now too (Tarkett) and this one is full spread!? WTF! There are bubbles all over it kind of like when you use too big of a trowel notch with felt backed. I used recommended notch and adhesive but with no backing to absord the adhesive it just "floats" on the glue and never cures. I have a bad feeling about getting the rep out as he screwed me on the last one. I will not install any more of it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #5

After the first wrinkles appeared instead of coming out to look at it,i was told just glue it and all will be fine.Looked good when i left(after reglueing)two weeks later it had the same wrinkles.You are correct in that the glue is designed(so i was told)to not cure.I was left holding the bag on that one,everyone bailed
Old 01-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Flooring Guru

Trade: Sales Manager
Rewards Points: 2,000

The adhesive is a pressure sensitive adhesive. It is designed not to cure totally.
Never any problems with Tarkett's product to date. Full spread or not.
I tend to acclimate the product 2 days prior to install.
this stuff is designed to lay down. Not bubble.

I would question temp in the home, and which adhesive you used.

Had a problem with another brand, but their pressure sensitive adhesive was rolled on with a paint roller. Didn't like it at all.

Taylor 2027 is what I use with Tarkett's.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 762

Temperature is key.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #8

The temp was varified not the problem by the rep. and wouldnt cause that problem to begin with.As for the glue,its wasnt supposed to need any?I dont claim to know it all and make mistakes,just dont blow smoke if your product isnt working.I havnt been to any siminars or classes on the product,just know what i have read in the installation manual and all was done by the book.I am not new to flooring,i have done it every day for the last 15 years.Like everyone else i try to learn from my mistakes but i cant fix whats out of my controll.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Paul

Last time I checked DT VinylBond is not a pressure sensitive adhesive. Please educate me as to how using Taylor 2027 follows manufacturers specs?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #10

Trade: Floors, Window Coverings, Interiors

Had a customer come in the store today look for flexitec is that a crossover name for fiberfloor by tarkett? He thinks its the greatest but if its the stuff your talking about i'm a little concerned.... comments or suggestions please
Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #11

Trade: flooring

Flexitec and Tarkett Fiber floors are two different floors requiring different installation methods. Any flexitec floor that requires more then one seam or more then 25 sq yds should be used with a (Premium) pressure sensitive glue with a 3/8 nap roller, loose laying is more of a DYI if your an installer and charging money inorder to avoid a call back always glue. Tarkett fiber floors come in three grades good/better/best. I always install good (fresh start) and better (easy living with the full spread method using DT Vinylbond this is key with a 1/32x 1/16x1/32 trowel. Personal Expressions the best can be install DYI loose layed but perfer full spread, also always 100 pound roll after installation. I have install both types many times and have not encounterd any problems using this guide.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #12
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,258

what does 'fullspread' mean?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
Paul

Fully adhered, not perimeter glued, or loose layed.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 11-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #14

Trade: Professional salesman
Question

Is Flexitec a crossover for Flooring America Naturcor cusioned vinyl ?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Costello

I have loose laid Tarkettes Fiber Floor a ton of times or used my not yet patented "partial perimeter adhere".

Ive used adhesive, power tape,even silicone is some tasty bathroom scenarios

Ive wound it through a kitchen in a mobile-down a hall into a bath and to this date have only had one pressure bubble from where I had cut it to tight.