Epoxy Flooring Repair

Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 600

Epoxy Flooring Repair

I have a customer that has an epoxy coated concrete floor that has a couple sections that have had the coating come off.

They have no idea what product was originally installed, no idea the color code or really anything about the install other than it was completed about 10 years ago during a renovation of the office space.

See pictures below.

Any thoughts on making this look good again, I doubt they will want to re-do the entire floor.

The damaged area and a shot of what the rest of the floor looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Epoxy Flooring Repair-20161219_135441.jpg   Epoxy Flooring Repair-20161219_135451.jpg  

www.gebcon.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,959

Re: Epoxy Flooring Repair

PM Madrina and she what she thinks - I got nothing.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Contractor

I'm hoping she will see this and stop by.

www.gebcon.com

Old 01-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,260

My initial thought would be to grind the entire concrete floor and start over. Other than that I am not sure either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (12-26-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 928

im here. how thick is that coating? doesnt really look like anything ive seen. did that patch start off as a bubble? if so, you are going to have to grind the entire floor off and re do or you will have more of those pop up. it almost looks like a concrete microfinish that has some pigment in it.. doesnt look like epoxy. and the crappy thing is, you really cant patch it. not without seeing the patch anyhow.

if it was a bubble ask them if there was water or liquid under the bubble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-29-2017), TNTSERVICES (05-08-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Pro

you could hand grind a section of that and patch it. i dont know. epoxy isnt multi colored like that.. unless its metallic, and if thats metallic, they did a crappy job. but i do see the grinder marks in the floor, which look terrible btw.. so maybe it is epoxy? do you have more pics?
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Pro

my epoxy counterpart just text me back and said he doesn't think its epoxy either. looks more like an overlay stained and sealed... i second that.

so i would grind a square then trowel a pre colored microfinish on it and seal. looks like water based sealer.. wax of some kind maybe johnson and johnson's.. use a shroud when you grind, and then vacuum and wipe with an alcohol rag before you lay the new finish. wait wait wait

on second thought just grind that area and feather the edges so there no lip and then stain and seal. that is probably maylay tan or wheat color. but ALL CONCRETE takes stain differently, so tell them that you will try like hell to match it but just so they know ...it aint gonna match. dont even let them think for one second that its going to even be close. dilute the die 50 % squirt it with a spray bottle and let dry.

then you can build it up if you need to, once it dries if you wipe it with a wet rag, that is the color it will be when you seal it. dont forget to neutralize it before you seal it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-29-2017), TNTSERVICES (05-08-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #8

Trade: flooring contractor
Rewards Points: 34

Without knowing what is installed you cannot possibly match the floor. However, you could grind the floor in that particular room, install a gray micro topping, seal and get a look that's close to the existing floor.

It looks like a gray floor patch was poorly used to somewhat smooth the concrete after grinding adhesive from a prior floor and sealed. I can't really see in the image, but in the area of the crack, you can see what looks like a topping of some type was used over an existing crack. We would typically use a crack bridge treatment in a crack that has been opened with a crack chaser. In the images you can see small pops in the overlay that are White, indicating there may be more damages coming. Just grind the room, install a new coating, and seal.

Paul
Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
Contractor

Thanks for the input.

The grinder marks in the floor appear to be intentional, they are everywhere. I think they were going for an "Industrial" look....I don't like it either.

The problem with grinding the entire room is it would be a pretty large area, A reception area and a long hallway, then other rooms off of the hall.

That particular door is to the men's room which is probably adding some moisture to the area which may have caused the failure. It looks like they had someone patch the bad spot with that gray cement since it does not have the grinder marks. There is another similar spot near the break room.

I might check with the place I can get epoxy from and see what they think.

I am leaning toward letting this one go, I doubt I could do anything short of a complete re-do that would look satisfactory. I'm pretty sure they will not spend the money on a complete grind and reapplication.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-30-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

Trade: Floorcovering
Rewards Points: 6

Curious what you did with this?

Did that coating flake/break off or is it just peeling? Is it hard? Was there water underneath it or damp?

There is a product that you can use that goes down like that, clear and it's fairly thick once it dries. It seals the concrete completely and basically works as a clear coating. It's made by Uzine, but I can't tell if that's what it is.

I've put it down before - but when it comes off it breaks off in chunks like glass almost. It's really hard and mostly clear.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
Pro

Tgeb, sorry for the delayed response, I'm sure this one has come and gone, but just for future reference.. anything causing the coating to chip up like that is a failure of some sort below the coating. If it's vapor, the coating will break away from the concrete clean. There will be air pockets with liquid between the concrete and coating. Gas bubbles...

If the coating has a big chunk of concrete stuck to the piece of epoxy that chipped off, it's a concrete failure. The concrete was not sound. Weak... whatever you want to call it.

If it was poor floor prep, the chunk that breaks off usually feels gritty on the back.

For sure the moisture from the bathroom has nothing to do with the failure of that floor. They may have wanted grinder marks in the floor to make it look industrial, but they probably didn't have a choice and didn't know any better...

They hired a hack. No one would hand grind an area of that size but a hack. He probably didn't even have a vacuum or shroud and couldnt see what he was doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
tgeb (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Contractor

Thanks Sue.

I'm sure they haven't done anything with this yet, they are a multi-million $ company and it took them almost a year to approve $3,800 in concrete repair outdoors.

If I could come up with a remedy that would work and not look like a turd, and did not involve stripping the whole floor, they would likely go with that.....sometime in the next year....or so.

www.gebcon.com
Old 12-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 590

I know this is quite old, but to me this looks like a clear epoxy over bare concrete. The big concern would be why it failed. Patching it won't help if the problem that caused it isn't addressed.

There are some overlays and micro-toppings that can be ground, but the process isn't that common. Usually you would grind before application, not after, and the grinder marks don't appear to be coated or filled at all.

I would think this was just a grind and install of some sort of clear coat.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #14

Trade: Decorative Concrete
Rewards Points: 10

Looks like they just stained over the original concrete and sealed it, I don't feel like its Epoxy, other wise you would not be seeing the swirl marks from the grinder, unless they laid the epoxy out super thin, to get it done right means grinding it all off, just patching is cheap but its gonna look patched and its gonna look cheap... just my 2 cents.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #15

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 42

Some good info here.

Advertisement