Engr. Hardwood Flooring Installation: Glue-down Vs. Nail/staple Vs. Floating - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Engr. Hardwood Flooring Installation: Glue-down Vs. Nail/staple Vs. Floating

Old 11-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #1

Trade: Handyman & Light Remodeling
Rewards Points: 334

Engr. Hardwood Flooring Installation: Glue-down Vs. Nail/staple Vs. Floating

Hi folks,

Limited flooring experience here. Only previous project was a tile bathroom. I'm about to install engineered hardwood in a finished shed/studio. Inside dimensions are approximately 11'x15'. The flooring is Provenza Heirloom collection, Glasgow style. Looks pretty cool. It's 7/16" 3-ply, with the top ply being hand-scraped oak.

Installation instructions say it can be glued down, nailed/stapled, or floated.

Any reason to choose one installation technique over the other for a project like this? Aside from the obvious, which is the need to rent a flooring nailer? Also, the flooring supply store recommended a vapor barrier underneath because the shed's "crawl space" doesn't have plastic over it. So I'm guessing that rules out gluing down. Also, FWIW, the flooring supplier recommended floating it. I don't take issue with their recommendation, I'm just looking to understand the "why" behind it.

My apologies if this is like talking politics and religion. Again, newbie. I don't mean to stir up trouble.

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 28

Re: Engr. Hardwood Flooring Installation: Glue-down Vs. Nail/staple Vs. Floating

From my experience :

Floating is a faster install, and more forgiving of expansion/contraction. Less forgiving of uneven floors. More prone to hollow sound. Use underlayment

Glue down is tight with minimal movement. Takes longer to install

Nail down is tried and true. Fairly fast install. Make sure to use underlayment and proper fasteners.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kumpel; 11-27-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,648

Re: Engr. Hardwood Flooring Installation: Glue-down Vs. Nail/staple Vs. Floating

I am partial to floating over a high quality roll out underlayment.

It's quick & clean.

I would be very concerned with the rh of the crawl space and the ventilation.

Is the floor insulated?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I would be very concerned with the rh of the crawl space and the ventilation.

Is the floor insulated?
As far as relative humidity, I'm located in the Seattle area, so it's pretty wet this time of year. Shed is on a slight slope into the back yard so there shouldn't be any standing water in the crawl space - which is about 12-18" high, if it matters.

Crawl space was sided down to about 1" above ground level. Last inch above ground had hardware cloth installed to provide some ventilation & keep out the critters. I could add more ventilation in if you think it would be wise.

I'm 99% sure the floor is not insulated.

Thanks for the help!

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Old 11-28-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,648

Quote:
Originally Posted by svankirk View Post
As far as relative humidity, I'm located in the Seattle area, so it's pretty wet this time of year. Shed is on a slight slope into the back yard so there shouldn't be any standing water in the crawl space - which is about 12-18" high, if it matters.

Crawl space was sided down to about 1" above ground level. Last inch above ground had hardware cloth installed to provide some ventilation & keep out the critters. I could add more ventilation in if you think it would be wise.

I'm 99% sure the floor is not insulated.

Thanks for the help!

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
I would be very leery that there is adequate ventilation in the crawl space and likely more moisture migration than the floor will tolerate.

Can you steer your people to a LVP product as they are very to;erant of moisture.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:15 AM   #6

Quote:
I would be very leery that there is adequate ventilation in the crawl space and likely more moisture migration than the floor will tolerate.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to look into this. Does it sound hopeless, or will some additional ventilation openings do the job?

Quote:
Can you steer your people to a LVP product as they are very to;erant of moisture.
That train has already left the station. Flooring was already purchased. Quite awhile ago.

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Old 11-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,634

Only give them the tailgate warranty then!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Advertisement