Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Cork flooring in a Bathroom? Pros & Cons

173K views 86 replies 17 participants last post by  Mike Finley 
#1 ·
I have a client that is interested in cork flooring. I have done a variety of different flooring but cork is new to me. The installation seems simple enough but I am concerned about the durability and if it is really a suitable floor for a bathroom. I want to make sure I am fully educated on the pros and cons of this product so that I can help the homeowner make an informed decision. I would appreciate if you guys could tell me the good, the bad, and anything else you think is relavant.

I will be ripping out the existing wood plank flooring, leveling the floor joists, and installing 3/4 t&g plywood as a subfloor. I am thinking of using the glue down tiles if they are actually suitable for a bathroom.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Absolutly not!

Plain and simple-NO,,, your asking for problems my friend, do it write, steer them away from a cheep fix - Tile the floor- water will kill that cheap cork flooring. Sounds like they want to go on the low end- do your job and
explain why they need to spend some money here- for good reason, they will thank you for it later:thumbsup:
Brian

#6 ·
I kinda thought the same thing. I have been steering her away and at least got her to pick two ceramic tiles she likes. I brought up about continued maintence and how the tiles could get gouged. The problem is she is into all things green and the environment which is great it just seems that alot of "green" products aren't good for bathrooms. I agree with you guys I would rather tile it and have no worries.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a "green" floor that would be good in the bathroom.

#14 ·
I agree I am not a huge fan of the look of cork and I have been seeing mixed reviews on the water impervious part, that's what has me a little confused.
Exactly.

I look at it like this. Wine bottles don't leak so there's obviously some moisture resistance. However, if you've ever seen the bottom of a cork that's been in a bottle for a while, it gets pretty nasty.

While cork may have some resistance to moisture, I believe its open cell structure allows moisture to penetrate and if left there, will eventually break down the cork. Also, if it will hold moisture, couldn't that be a breeding ground for bacteria?

Finally, cork needs to be sealed, just like hardwood. If you purchase/installed prefinished cork, it will still need to be refinished some day (5-10 years). Can you imagine what a flooring guy would charge to come in a sand/seal a cork floor in a bathroom? :eek:

Ceramic/porcelain tile or sheet vinyl are the only types of flooring I'd recommend in a bathroom.

#13 ·
Can be done.

I have done quite a bit of powder rooms and guest bathrooms with cork.All with floating click cork, no glue down. I would not put in main bath where the humidity levels are very high. I only use cork from Torlys, there is an optional sealer for humid areas.In case of water damage it is easy to remove and replace.

#18 ·
Astor is right on

Astor is correct. A good quality cork in a bathroom or kitchen is fine. I prefer the floating floor to glue down tiles, and DON't go for the HD/Lowe's/LL cheap crap.

I don't particularly care for the look of cork, but each to his own. Sealing is not an issue with a good quality cork, follow manufacturer directions.

Wood is a much poorer choice in bathrooms and kitchens. Cork is natually resistant to the moisture where wood sucks it up. That's not to say it can't be damaged, any floor can. If there is never a vent fan used and humidity stays at 150% and water is always left standing on the floor there will be problems, even in a bathroom with ceramic on it.

I happen to have bamboo in my master bath. If you are going to use wood in a bathroom that's my recommendation.

#20 ·
I've actually seen this done before, and I'll say that the results were horrible. It was an old fraternity house restroom that used some kind of cork composite tile. Under the sink and around the toilet, the tiles had curled up and away from the floor, and from what I'd heard, the floor was only 16 years old.

#21 ·
She's not looking at cheap cork tiles the ones she like are like $7 a tile the cost really isn't the issue. I was reading that the glue down cork was better for the bathroom as opposed to the snap lock because the snap lock has a wood backer. Correct me if I am wrong, cork is new to me I just want to make sure the product is suitable for the bathroom and that I choose the right type to install.

#24 · (Edited)
Cork is a high end flooring product and I would consider it a premium flooring product and demand a premium price structure.

There is nothing wrong with cork in a bathroom - keep in mind it's naturally resistant to mold, it's naturally resistant to water, most cork likes a little higher humidity level anyways and a bathroom is going to provide that.

I don't know of any manufacturers that say you can't put cork in a bathroom. The only thing I ever see them say is to just take an extra step and silicone the perimeter expansion joint.

Is it the best material for a bathrooms? It all depends on the criteria of the customer. There is nothing wrong with tile, stone, carpet, linoleum, hardwood, cork or any other flooring product in a bathroom as long as the material meets the customer's expectations. There are some materials that will offer more longevity or more mold resistance or be cheaper or be more expensive, but as long as the material is what the customer wants how can it be wrong?

Take for instance carpet - it's probably the one product that almost everybody would say is an easy one to say doesn't belong in a bathroom.

We had a handicapped customer once that needed carpet. He had a history of falling in the bathroom 3-4 times a year. He needed a material that was the least harsh on his body which was carpet.

Hardwood is another one that is easy to say doesn't belong in a bathroom due to the issue that water splashed out of a tub or an overflowing toilet will pretty much damage it quickly.

However, we've had many customers who have big houses, empty nesters with 5 bathrooms in the house and only care what it looks like, don't have kids etc... if they want hardwood and I've done my job telling them about it's properties then so be it, write the check and it goes in.

Think about travertine - it isn't hard to come up with a few reasons why it's probably right up there with one of the worst materials you could put in a bathroom. However it's one of the top high end products going into them. Sure I've had a lot of customers who have started out wanting travertine and ended up with porcelain. Not from me trying to talk them out of it, but from me telling them the properties of them both and asking questions about their lifestyle and expectations and allowing them to understand which product might fit them the best. But if they want travertine, it's going in.

#30 ·
I have installed cork in couple of diffrent houses
One of them being a house I lived in
I put it in the kitchen and dining
Seemed to wear like wood
soft on your feet
It does not seem to handle water well
Since it is soft every time you walk across the joints you unseal the finish
So if you spill water it goes down the joints
The cork soaks up the water
Then the finsh starts to fail at joint
Just my experience

#31 · (Edited)
Seriously?

Regardless of what a customer "thinks" they are putting down as flooring in their bathroom, I think as professional and someone that is supposed to have an understanding on products where they apply and where they do not- regardless of the what the Manufacturer says!- I would strongly emphasis the word- NO! A customer wants hard wood flooring in their bathroom and some of you would go along with this-can I ask why? you have got to be kidding me:eek: I won't do it-period,and would strongly recommend why that is not suitable and I would not put that cork crap in either- get someone else! why would I say that,,because when something goes wrong with it after you shut that door,, and it will, it's not a question of if , but when- guess who they will be calling, who is to blame,,,,is it the customer fault or the installer? doesn't matter - you went along with it, you say-"yea, I think we can get away with it" and it's going to come back to haunt you later-guaranteed. If it were me as the customer after this cork crap went in, and problems begin- I would want you to be liable-you said it was OK, and now I have to do it all over again- "the write way" and I am paying double - why didn't you recommend something to me more suitable- now look at the mess I have.

From my professional experience, customers look for someone they can trust and that guide them in the write direction as far as materials/ design and suitability.
Prime example- Manufacturers of engineered flooring say you can install their product in a kitchen- I have seen what they look like after wear & tare- pots being dropped- water spilled on the floor near the sink area/refrigerator-kids spill things on the floor,,and the seams curled and separated- it looks awful and fake,,,they thought "at the time" they were saving money , now they have to spend twice as much for the same area. there is no repairing with EF- There is with Tile or natural hardwood flooring, keep that in mind :thumbsup:
Manufacturers are out there to sell there products- plain & simple. I have one estimate out now with this EF crap-Kitchen, he said basically the same exact thing that I explained above- had I known what problems can occur with this- I would have "never" chose this flooring. I said "was this the flooring you wanted at the time",,, "yes",,,," did he explain all the specifics of the material to you ,pro/con",,,,,-"no" ,,,. Guess what - it all has to come out now and a new Hard wood flooring is going in- not stained- natural toned hard wood flooring- that is the only product that i will recommend to my customers if they want hard wood flooring in their kitchen - in any room , with the exception of bathrooms and basements- forget it, that is not happening!
try getting a warranty approved for hard wood flooring that you installed in a bathroom- I think not. Something you want to do on your own house- knock your socks off, but your house is no different- wood and bathrooms do not get along to well:no:
I have to admit , I am more than prejudice on flooring trying to be something it can never be- they want that engineered crap in their dinning room/hallways/bedrooms- fine- whatever, that includes that god awful cork crap- and yes I think it is crap- period!
Bottom line, I don't trust it , it looks awful/fake and I would never recommend it to any of my customers, I can come up with a much better product with some longevity ease of maintenance, easily repaired and will add plenty of character & style to the room,,,for many years to come, In my opinion just an over all better solution for the project on hand. Will they have to spend more money - absolutely. But ,we are talking about a bathroom- not buying band-aids- you get what you pay for-so if some of you want to hand out bumper warranties installing wood products in bathrooms, be my guest.
As a professional-that is one product that should not be recommended in a bathroom, any bathroom. Why some of you think it's OK-I don't get it,why would you go along with what the customer wants,,,where is the guidance in that?. :rolleyes: Ceramic tile/natural stone/concrete- something more suitable with longevity and style not being compromised- the sky is the limit as far as design goes, I'll even say linoleum (god that hurt- I absolutely despise that material) JMO:thumbsup:
Sorry Mike, ;),no offense - but I am not comfortable supporting and installing wood products in interior areas of high moisture/high humidity- they don't behave in these situations:thumbsup:
Brian

#32 ·
Regardless of what a customer "thinks" they are putting down as flooring in their bathroom, I think as professional and someone that is supposed to have an understanding on products where they apply and where they do not- regardless of the what the Manufacturer says!- I would strongly emphasis the word- NO! A customer wants hard wood flooring in their bathroom and some of you would go along with this-can I ask why? you have got to be kidding me:eek: I won't do it-period,and would strongly recommend why that is not suitable and I would not put that cork crap in either- get someone else! why would I say that,,because when something goes wrong with it after you shut that door,, and it will, it's not a question of if , but when- guess who they will be calling, who is to blame,,,,is it the customer fault or the installer? doesn't matter - you went along with it, you say-"yea, I think we can get away with it" and it's going to come back to haunt you later-guaranteed. If it were me as the customer after this cork crap went in, and problems begin- I would want you to be liable-you said it was OK, and now I have to do it all over again- "the write way" and I am paying double - why didn't you recommend something to me more suitable- now look at the mess I have.

From my professional experience, customers look for someone they can trust and that guide them in the write direction as far as materials/ design and suitability.
Prime example- Manufacturers of engineered flooring say you can install their product in a kitchen- I have seen what they look like after wear & tare- pots being dropped- water spilled on the floor near the sink area/refrigerator-kids spill things on the floor,,and the seams curled and separated- it looks awful and fake,,,they thought "at the time" they were saving money , now they have to spend twice as much for the same area. there is no repairing with EF- There is with Tile or natural hardwood flooring, keep that in mind :thumbsup:
Manufacturers are out there to sell there products- plain & simple. I have one estimate out now with this EF crap-Kitchen, he said basically the same exact thing that I explained above- had I known what problems can occur with this- I would have "never" chose this flooring. I said "was this the flooring you wanted at the time",,, "yes",,,," did he explain all the specifics of the material to you ,pro/con",,,,,-"no" ,,,. Guess what - it all has to come out now and a new Hard wood flooring is going in- not stained- natural toned hard wood flooring- that is the only product that i will recommend to my customers if they want hard wood flooring in their kitchen - in any room , with the exception of bathrooms and basements- forget it, that is not happening!
try getting a warranty approved for hard wood flooring that you installed in a bathroom- I think not. Something you want to do on your own house- knock your socks off, but your house is no different- wood and bathrooms do not get along to well:no:
I have to admit , I am more than prejudice on flooring trying to be something it can never be- they want that engineered crap in their dinning room/hallways/bedrooms- fine- whatever, that includes that god awful cork crap- and yes I think it is crap- period!
Bottom line, I don't trust it , it looks awful/fake and I would never recommend it to any of my customers, I can come up with a much better product with some longevity ease of maintenance, easily repaired and will add plenty of character & style to the room,,,for many years to come, In my opinion just an over all better solution for the project on hand. Will they have to spend more money - absolutely. But ,we are talking about a bathroom- not buying band-aids- you get what you pay for-so if some of you want to hand out bumper warranties installing wood products in bathrooms, be my guest.
As a professional-that is one product that should not be recommended in a bathroom, any bathroom. Why some of you think it's OK-I don't get it,why would you go along with what the customer wants,,,where is the guidance in that?. :rolleyes: Ceramic tile/natural stone/concrete- something more suitable with longevity and style not being compromised- the sky is the limit as far as design goes, I'll even say linoleum (god that hurt- I absolutely despise that material) JMO:thumbsup:
Sorry Mike, ;),no offense - but I am not comfortable supporting and installing wood products in interior areas of high moisture/high humidity- they don't behave in these situations:thumbsup:
Brian

Brian i am with you on the Cork, i do however disagree with your inflexabilty concerning the customers requests. Call me unproffessional but if a customer wants to side there house in Paper Mache. I will advise them that there are better alternatives, and that there siding will probably fall off after the first rain, But if they insist, i will ask what color, and be there on Monday with newspaper and Elmers Glue. The way i see it, if they are dead set on something, and someone is going to make the $, it might as well be me, GMOD

#33 ·
Gmod,

I agree, but as long as they understand the ramifications of what they want- I just would not want them coming after me- I totally understand,,I read mikes post, I understand what he is saying as well- I have just been around long enough, heard horror stories about this - customer was insistent , and now I am liable - It has never happened to me - and it will stay that way- i would definitely have them sign a waiver, something in writing acknowledging the fact that the Contractor objects to the material being installed and is not liable - but that sounds bad also for the contractor- you know what I mean?
Anyways,
I agree- what they want is what they want- we have to make a living - I totally agree Gmod. I would just hate to have it come back and bite one of our own- thats what worries me. There are other alternatives that would best be suited for that specific application, if not ,Just protect yourself and get that made very clear in the contractor or an addendum, something.,,
I usually will win their trust with facts-data, then they think twice, that situation doesn't happen that often- , but when it does- I have to inform them and try to suggest the proper materials and why I am suggesting them-the costs are not that more substantial in most cases, but not all, but none the less-I educate them as much as I possibly can- the ultimate decision is theirs- hopefully I have done a thorough job in the presentation and earned their trust in me through factual information and they come to their senses.:thumbsup: So thanks Gmod for clearing that up , I probably sound like a prick, I'm not- We have to pay bills and live for god sakes- your correct!:thumbsup:
Brian

#37 · (Edited)
I agree, but as long as they understand the ramifications of what they want- I just would not want them coming after me- I totally understand,,I read mikes post, I understand what he is saying as well- I have just been around long enough, heard horror stories about this - customer was insistent , and now I am liable - It has never happened to me - and it will stay that way- i would definitely have them sign a waiver, something in writing acknowledging the fact that the Contractor objects to the material being installed and is not liable - but that sounds bad also for the contractor- you know what I mean?
Anyways,
I agree- what they want is what they want- we have to make a living - I totally agree Gmod. I would just hate to have it come back and bite one of our own- thats what worries me. There are other alternatives that would best be suited for that specific application, if not ,Just protect yourself and get that made very clear in the contractor or an addendum, something.,,
I usually will win their trust with facts-data, then they think twice, that situation doesn't happen that often- , but when it does- I have to inform them and try to suggest the proper materials and why I am suggesting them-the costs are not that more substantial in most cases, but not all, but none the less-I educate them as much as I possibly can- the ultimate decision is theirs- hopefully I have done a thorough job in the presentation and earned their trust in me through factual information and they come to their senses.:thumbsup: So thanks Gmod for clearing that up , I probably sound like a prick, I'm not- We have to pay bills and live for god sakes- your correct!:thumbsup:
Brian
You're way over thinking this.

#1 if the manufacturer will warranty the product based on where and how you installed it you have installed it correctly and in a correct place. The manufacturer determines correct installation not you or I.

Problems down the road? See #1.

There are no liablility issues of any sort of the test passes #1.

Now on another note if you make a personal judgement call based on too much hassle, not worth it, don't like the product, hey... so be it that's a personal decision.

But - cork in a bathroom? Hardwood in a bathroom? Tile in a bathroom... squished monkey farts mixed up with mashed potatoes....?

See #1.

Hardwood in a kitchen? Not in my house, but if a customer wants it. Just hope their insurance is paid up. Rock on.

#35 ·
Astor,

I saw your avatar- your work? - very nice- I am impressed:thumbsup: Please don't take this personally- I admire what you do- OK :thumbsup:
My personal opinion about that material is not favorable- that is just my personal opinion.

factually, based on "THEIR" instructions and information"
,,,,,In that installation manual - it says "bathroom" -meaning "Any Bathroom" , it did not stipulate 1/2 baths only-it claims "ANY Bathroom",,,,,correct.
It also says that the floor is "never" to be "wet moped" .

So after digesting that- water,bathrooms, humidity? why would they say the material is suitable in any bathroom if you know these conditions are going to come to fruition?? It will get "wet"- " there will be "high humidity" in the environment-period. This is exactly what I said earlier about manufacturers try to make their products more accommodating to many applications, but the " limitations" and "warranty" area are not clearly spelled out- "together".If it gets wet- apparently - it ain't good;)
you put these 2 statements together ,taken write from your hyperlink,,,-

"well suited for all residential rooms, including bathrooms ,,,read to the far right corner,,,,,,,,""NEVER "wet" mop"" your TORLYS Cork floor. ,,,,,,,, maintain a healthy humidity between 40-60% :rolleyes::rolleyes:
,, so ,I want you to think about that, you sound intelligent,, what do you think now,,, is a * "bathroom",,,, generalized by the way they worded these instructions, is a bathroom still an acceptable application for this product? you tell me:rolleyes:

I say no:rolleyes:

And again, no offense Astor- I like your work -you do nice work my freind :thumbsup:
Brian

#36 ·
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your kind words.I take pride in my work. We are here to exchange our knowledge and experiences, so I do not take anything personal.
Actually any wood, cork floors should never be wet moped. There are special wood floor cleaners for to clean.Wet mopping is not the way to get the wood/cork floor clean.
Torlys has no problem us installing in any bathroom,but personally I only install 1/2 baths or full guest bathrooms where the humidity does not fracture a lot. Also the lifestyle of the client is a factor. If there is a quite amount of spillage in bathroom floor-no mats etc-I would be upfront with the client that it is not the product for them. I would not install in a Finnish sauna of course.I would not install cork in a bathroom of fraternity house!or a home where young family of 6 has one bathroom.
For me, Torlys has been stand behind their product.Since 1987, they had a few flaws like any, but all replaced with no cost to clients.
As you said, this is a personal choice,maybe because the homes that I work are high-end homes who has interior designers etc.I get to run clients that they want this.
CIAO

#38 ·
Guys,

wow, holy crap......no need to beet my ass:boxing:,,
Astor & Mike,,,

Manufacturer says "*BATHROOMS" ie: all,
but further down the instructions- NEVER - WET-MOP - MAINTAIN ,,, HUMIDITY - I didn't write that- they did- please, come on- play nice,,,
Can you see where I would have a problem with this----don't you? ,,,,,, and someone wants to put this in a main bathroom?????????????. Astor did it in a 1/2 bath- That's sounds reasonable, seriously, in-fact I am impressed with the flooring, I never knew it could look so unique- nice work again Astor:thumbsup:,,,
but a main bath- again- read above- per their wording-not mine, so - I didn't intend the boxing match and I don't want one-I like you guys, I think we are a lot more civil here, thats why I enjoy it :thumbsup: and I sincerely respect all of you,,even If I think your wrong and you think I am,,-It's all good:thumbsup:,,,,,lets just keep it civil:thumbup:
but IMO again, so all I am saying is - do you see how contradicting those statements are- seriously, please have an open mind, can you see where there could (will) be a serious problem? -
Thanks for being civil to me:thumbsup:
Brian

#39 · (Edited)
OK Mike, and I mean that in a civilized manor-OK

hope their insurance is paid up????I am not worried about that Mike-I have 0 claims Mr. Mike ,,,0 , why- I know what I am doing , and if I don't feel comfortable doing something-I stop, I don't do it- period , I hope the cork floor installer is insured as well my friend cause when that Cork floor gets lathered up with some H20- repeatedly- your going to need it:thumbsup: ,,

So what do you have in your kitchen,,,let me guess,,,TILE:thumbup::thumbup: great! I still don't know what I am going to with mine, might do that or some oak,ash or maple, or combine the 2, I would like the blood wood but, I have to think about it,, but either or- it's all good Mike, however,,,not all HW is good for kitchens, surprisingly- cherry? who would have thought :rolleyes:

Hardwood flooring is an acceptable flooring for kitchens......., depending on spices and grade. I am sure you are well aware of this. IMO- Kitchen areas are not bathrooms- totally different environments - with similar attributes, but by how much , there in lyes the le-way? So you think HW in a kitchen is wrong- ??? I am all ears mike:thumbsup: seriously, why do you say nay to the HF in a Kitchen?
thank you
Brian

#45 ·
why do you say nay to the HF in a Kitchen?
I tell people it's fine but remember, the kitchen is the one room in your home to which you drop things like, glasses, plates, forks, knives, etc. Also, tables & chairs being moved about...you get the picture.

If I'm talking to a retied couple, not an issue. If I'm talking to family with 4 kids under 10, not a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.