Commercial Floor Remodel - SLC & Epoxy

Old 01-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Trade: Eco Construction - Hempcrete
Rewards Points: 24

Commercial Floor Remodel - SLC & Epoxy

I have a small restaurant remodel. The existing floor was commercial carpet that was glued with adhesive to the concrete underneath. After ripping up the carpets I found several cracks in the concrete flooring. My plan was to use the self leveling concrete throughout the whole restaurant to fix the cracks and also provide a surface for a finish coat of commercial epoxy.

My questions are:

1) Should the floor be sanded to remove the adhesive before pouring the SLC?

2) I am concerned about loosing the SLC down the cracks as it is a 2nd story floor and not sure how deep the cracks go and to where. Should I fill them first? cover them? I thought of filling the cracks with a concrete caulk before pouring the SLC

3) I am looking for a good commercial brand that will bond well to the SLC finish surface ... While also being durable to withstand heavy traffic and cleaning. Any suggestions on a good epoxy for this? The clients previous contractor put down an epoxy that chipped up within the first year and we defiantly don't want this to happen again. Perhaps it wasn't dry enough and cured?

Also ... on another unit where they had this epoxy chipping problem Can the SLC go over the chipping epoxy ... or do I need to sand it down too?

Any help with these questions or additional tips for this project would be greatly appreciated! Appreciate you time and contribution.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Trade: Manufacturer
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Commercial Floor Remodel - SLC & Epoxy

We'd be happy to help. You can contact LATICRETE local rep, George Dodson at 203-464-8779.

Tell him Sharon La Riviere sent you

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #3

Trade: Flooring removal

It would be better to take it down to the original concrete before trying to self level you will also need to use a primer.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,160

I would plan to grind the concrete. For filling cracks I have used Polyurea. It self levels in the cracks. It come in a tube like caulk, the stuff is crazy expensive and doesn't go far.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #5

Trade: B,C61-D06
Rewards Points: 6

The previous guy probably used epoxy paint, with out top coat. We use Elite Crete epoxy, and a urethane topcoat(their top coat may take a while to cure, you can use another maybe check out Sika's system Ive used theres once for antistatic epoxy, but its important that any two or three part components that are put down are set and not tacky before another material is applied). It probably came up from bad bonding from prep, or contamination. The slabs not on grade so I wouldn't think vapor transmission. How bad is the slab, weather you install an SL or just prep grind and clean. you're still going to need to use a filler in the cracks, polyurea, backer rod with epoxy and sand, or a cement patch, depending on the thickness of the cracks.
If you fail to fill those cracks you may have a mess on the first floor, or uneven points in the epoxy from the material running, or even holes.