Click Together Vinyl Plank - No Underlay - No Heat!

Old 10-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Baby Sitter for Grown Men

Trade: Project Superintendent
Rewards Points: 225

Click Together Vinyl Plank - No Underlay - No Heat!

Hi Guys

Our product spec is for click-together Vinyl Plank floor.
My first experience with vinyl click together floor is not a good one. The expansion and contraction on this floor I found to be nightmarish.

They did not even spec underlay, on this project

PM's office is pushing to get flooring started, but I don't have power so cannot set up permanent suite by suite building heat. I can do temp heat, but this is going to be general heat in the condo corridors

There is no doubt this is an economy floor.
It also scratches easily and does not look repairable. So the later I install it, the less trade damage.

I wanted to hear your guys' experience with click together vinyl

Thanks for any feedback

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,883

Re: Click Together Vinyl Plank - No Underlay - No Heat!

Sounds like you already have a pretty good idea of what it's like. Slap it down at the last minute, take the money and run. Not my favorite product, and IMO not really any better than good sheet vinyl.

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
custom installations

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 127

Most people are attracted to it due to it's waterproof label, but I don't think it's that good unless you pay a good price for it. You definitely want it installed in a controlled environment and allow for expansion and contraction.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #4

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 6

I would tell the pm you can't properly install without the underlay. You don't want them calling you to go fix repairs or something and then not pay you due to an "installation issue".
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #5

Trade: LBM Sales
Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_sup View Post
Hi Guys

My first experience with vinyl click together floor is not a good one. The expansion and contraction on this floor I found to be nightmarish.

PM's office is pushing to get flooring started, but I don't have power so cannot set up permanent suite by suite building heat. I can do temp heat, but this is going to be general heat in the condo corridors

It also scratches easily and does not look repairable. So the later I install it, the less trade damage.

Thanks for any feedback
Did they spec a particular brand? There is a wide variety of product offerings, and each has its own warranty and installation guidelines. Some products are a lot nicer than others, and in my experience, some have been designed to fail!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 26,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_sup View Post
Hi Guys

Thanks for any feedback
No underlay, easily scratches, potential temp / acclimation issues... hopefully you've got a signed contract specifying all the potential issues and manufacturer specs/requirements and associated responsibilities so you don't adopt future issues / profit drains...

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Bummie (01-04-2018)