Clarke EZ8 Sanding Belt Wear

Old 01-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

Trade: Wood Refinisher
Rewards Points: 22

Clarke EZ8 Sanding Belt Wear

Hi. I recently purchased a used EZ8 with expandable drum. It seems to have done a reasonable sanding job on a test floor with one issue-edge belt wear. I looked at the user manual but that issue is not addressed. So I came here to ask if there is something I am doing(running too close to the toe kick) or ? could be causing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Clarke EZ8 sanding belt wear-beltworn.jpg  

Last edited by ceramicbrad56; 01-16-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: add descriptor

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #2

Re: Clarke EZ8 Sanding Belt Wear

Ok, I got it figured out. I did the level adjustment by turning the adjustment bolt 1/2 turn CCW which caused the paper to grab a little more on the right side(opposite belt) of the sander and thus pushed the paper a little more to the left, thus centering the paper. Now it does not eat the paper on the right edge.

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramicbrad56 View Post
Hi. I recently purchased a used EZ8 with expandable drum. It seems to have done a reasonable sanding job on a test floor with one issue-edge belt wear. I looked at the user manual but that issue is not addressed. So I came here to ask if there is something I am doing(running too close to the toe kick) or ? could be causing this.
3 things

Paper was not properly fitted even on the drum. Unlikely.

Hit a nail or other protrusion. Possible.

Drum has damage or uneven wear that causes the belt to travel across the drum under pressure. Probable on a use machine.

The drum should be even without rounding at the edges. Problem 2 leads to problem three when there is a cut in the paper, the the drum is run anyway by an inexperienced operator rounding the outside edge leading to travel in the paper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 01-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
3 things

Paper was not properly fitted even on the drum. Unlikely.

Hit a nail or other protrusion. Possible.

Drum has damage or uneven wear that causes the belt to travel across the drum under pressure. Probable on a use machine.

The drum should be even without rounding at the edges. Problem 2 leads to problem three when there is a cut in the paper, the the drum is run anyway by an inexperienced operator rounding the outside edge leading to travel in the paper.

Spacehair: Thanks for the reply. The drum has some uneven wear on the edges. Besides hitting nails and so on, what are some specific actions newbies do to the edges of the drum to wear faster than the middle?
Attached Thumbnails
Clarke EZ8 sanding belt wear-floor-248.jpg  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Spacehair: Thanks for the reply. The drum has some uneven wear on the edges. Besides hitting nails and so on, what are some specific actions newbies do to the edges of the drum to wear faster than the middle?
You can buy brand new drum for 350$. If your tools are getting used regularly it will pay for itself. Paper will work better and last longer. You'll get a true 6 inch cut vs maybe 4 on and old football shaped drum.

But if you're really serious about floors you'll get a 220v belt sander and powerdrive or a trio.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #6

Spairhair:
Thanks for reply. Yes, will get a new drum and eventually move up to 220V system if jobs warrant it, but don't look forward to transporting something I will have trouble carrying.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Spairhair:
Thanks for reply. Yes, will get a new drum and eventually move up to 220V system if jobs warrant it, but don't look forward to transporting something I will have trouble carrying.
You take the 220s apart. The motor is 80lbs and the chassis 120.

Advertisement