Ceramic Tile Floating Floor

Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Ed

Rewards Points: 10

Ceramic Tile Floating Floor

Hi evry1 I have a customer who wants to install ceramic tile over hardwood flooring, but since he is renting the management company of the building advised him that he cannot damage the wood floors in any way. I was curios if it is possible to put down 1/2 inch plywood over the wood floor without screwing it, then install backerboard onto the plywood and then install the tile normally. Or if there is an easier or cheaper way to do it, like maybe just putting down the backerboard without screws and then cementing the tile right over it.

Thanks in advance,

Ed.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Repair/Remodeling Tech.

Trade: Repair and Remodeling Services
Rewards Points: 236

Re: Ceramic Tile Floating Floor

..uhhh......theres no such thing as a ceramic floating floor.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Sounds like a cracked ceramic floor to me, doh!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like a lot of work for nothing to me, but...

Tile showrooms put down tile all the time in a temporary fashion with the intention that eventually they will pull it up and put down a new display. Those techniques might be something to look into. They usually involve a type of roofing felt like paper laid over the cement floor first.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/show...ight=temporary

Last edited by Mike Finley; 08-30-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Flooring Guru

Trade: Sales Manager

Quote:
..uhhh......theres no such thing as a ceramic floating floor.
Actually there is. Lowe's or Home Depot actually sell a floating tile.
But I wouldn't rely on it looking fantastic, or being that easy to install.
But it still exists.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
Repair/Remodeling Tech.

Trade: Repair and Remodeling Services
Rewards Points: 236

ok......barring the Edge™...which has had RAVEEEEE reviews over at john bridge ...there is no such thing as a floating ceramic floor. If it's allowed ill post the link to the thread over there...or go there and search for "edge"...you'll find it.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Flooring Guru

That's right...there is a reason there is not a floating ceramic on the market really.
It sounds nice

but it only sounds that way
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #8

Trade: residential construction & remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

i've never seen floating ceramic before. but, i have seen a snap-lock faux tile floor before! installs just like snap-lock laminate.no damage to existing floor or expensive prep. usually alot cheaper & quicker than ceramic, and it does look pretty good.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Flooring
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via MSN to Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter 1st
i've never seen floating ceramic before. but, i have seen a snap-lock faux tile floor before! installs just like snap-lock laminate.no damage to existing floor or expensive prep. usually alot cheaper & quicker than ceramic, and it does look pretty good.
Try this link
Old 09-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
Flooring Guru

Quickstep has the best lookin tile lam on the market these days.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #11

Trade: decking
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova
Hi evry1 I have a customer who wants to install ceramic tile over hardwood flooring, but since he is renting the management company of the building advised him that he cannot damage the wood floors in any way. I was curios if it is possible to put down 1/2 inch plywood over the wood floor without screwing it, then install backerboard onto the plywood and then install the tile normally. Or if there is an easier or cheaper way to do it, like maybe just putting down the backerboard without screws and then cementing the tile right over it.

Thanks in advance,

Ed.
I dont think theres a lasting way to have a floating ceramic tile floor, however I think the concepts is possible, but wouldnt be long term. The reason being is your floor gains strength from that which is below it, therefore as much as plywood can expand and contract without having it screwed to something will be more apt to have more movement and a 1/2" concrete underlayment might not be enough strength to keep the tile under 2% movement on top, which is when you'll start having problems. I guess a variable would be to how much your 1st floating level (plywood, pressboard, etc would expand.) One thing you could maybe do, would to put down some kind of buffer like for laminate floors ( so your concrete underlayment does not scratch the wood floor) - and lay just 1/2 concrete board over it only. Your hardwood beneath it though can move (physics of expansion and contraction vs. temperature changes) and it might effect it, but if you're not planning on dying in the house (being a rental) and you want it to look nice for now it might work even though it's not necessarily recommended. I'd be interested in 5 yrs down the road what the condition of it is.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #12

Trade: Roofing

There is indeed floating ceramic tile flooring that I have installed in my own home. It is wonderful stuff! It looks fantastic and is the perfect solution to a home that shifts, which unfortunately I can identify with...lol! As jproffer mentioned its brand name is The Edge, its genuine ceramic (or cultured marble) 12x12 tiles mounted to a rigid MDF that snaps together much like laminate flooring. When you purchase the tile you purchase the kit that includes a dimond edged skill saw and jig saw blades to cut it. The grout is a little different, its silicone based to prevent cracking (when dry it feels much like gritty rubber), premixed and you apply it like you would calking -with a standard calking gun. It comes in 1x2 sheets and cuts easily with the blades it comes with. You have to use the underlay designed for the product, its foil covered spongy material that comes in 4x8 folded sheets. You have to join the sheets with packing tape rather than staples. I was referred to it by several homeowners before trying it and it is fabulous, you would never guess that its wasn't ceramic tile, because it is! I have had it for 2 years now and I am throughly impressed, my walls have cracked, doors have jamed up but my flooring remains perfect! Highly recommended.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,230

I think the space shuttle people are at the forefront of this technology. They have developed a system which relies on some sort of polystyrene insulation as the release agent for the tile. They seem to be replacing tile on a regular basis.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator
Rewards Points: 500

Edge tile filed bankruptcy, months ago. They are no more. Too many failures and lack of respect, forced them under the rug.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 606

There's a 30 page thread on this crap over on John Bridge's site... It's junk.

Long Island Remodeling Contractor
Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
tile contractor

Trade: Ceramic and stone tile contractor
Send a message via ICQ to Bill_Vincent Send a message via MSN to Bill_Vincent

You got that right. And if the JB thread's not enough, I've got a list of about 20 more from forums all over the web where people had exactly the same kind of problems. These were not isolated incidents. This was due to a product hitting the shelves before enough R&D had been done. They expected the public to do it FOR them. Kinda like Trafficmaster!!

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile

Actually there is a FLOATING CERAMIC TILE FLOORING PRODUCT available.

This product is nothing like the Edge product that has failed miserably and forced the Edge Company into bankruptcy.

This product is porcelain ceramic adhered to a plastic backer tray that allows the tile to be snapped together. The porcelain is a full 9mm thick, thicker than most all porcelains on the market. The tiles are currently available in several colors and come 12 X 12 in size. The grout is a special formula that offers the necessary flexibility required of a floating tile floor.

It is recommended that the substrate meet the L/360 requirements of any ceramic floor traditional installation but a slight fudging could be acceptable under some circumstances. This floating ceramic tile can be installed over any reasonable flat substrate and could later be totally removed if necessary without any damage to the substrate.

The product is currently available at Menard's in the central Midwest of this country and is in all the Home Depots in Canada. It is also available from some mom & pops around the country.

Google SNAPSTONE for the details.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
tile contractor

I've heard alot about Snapstone PRIOR to installations. I've yet to hear from a single person AFTER using it. I guess that could be good OR bad!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #19

Trade: flooring

Ed,
I saw your question about the tile over the wood flooring and you should look into floating ceramic til. It's new and it may help your friend get the floor he's looking for.
Pam
Old 06-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
tile contractor

Pamela, I have a feeling that floor just might be done by now. I'm wondering if you're going to be another Samantha, who came in here as a roofing contractor to the flooring forum, and the only post she's made in three years was concerning a flooring product that she gave a glowing recommendation on. The only post on site (not just this forum) in three years. Is that you, too?