ASTM E1155 - FF And FL Tests - Flooring - Contractor Talk

ASTM E1155 - FF And FL Tests

Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #1

Trade: Comercial Sales
Rewards Points: 75

ASTM E1155 - FF And FL Tests

Has anyone here ever had to be involved / do a test conforming to ASTM E1155? Or is this something that you tell the GC to have the concrete guy verify? I realize ASTM E1155 is supposed to be a concrete test WAY before we hit the job but I am begining to see Spec's that call for it to be observed with regard to the flooring.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 250

Re: ASTM E1155 - FF And FL Tests

I suppose if you were putting in a floating floor you would want to know how flat and level it is.

Im guessin it could be done with a lazer?

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator
Rewards Points: 500

All concrete is suppose to be within that spec. When it is out, that is when we get to charge out the butt, to bring it within tolerance, so our floor can be to spec.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #4

how do I figure out if it is in spec w/o the cost of a full test.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 250

stretch a line of masonary twine with a line bubble (level that attaches to the twine...can be bought at any hardware store) across the floor at the same hieght on each end and measure every 8 feet or so.

Its primitive but effective
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Contractor, Stamped Concrete, Pool Design

Ff and Fl numbers are achieved by using a dipstick made by Face ind. It will read a floor with in 100th of an inch. Depending on the type of placement and finishing of the concrete, will determine how flat a floor you get. These tests are usually done the day after finishing, so "curling" isn't taken into account.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDesigns View Post
Ff and Fl numbers are achieved by using a dipstick made by Face ind. It will read a floor with in 100th of an inch. Depending on the type of placement and finishing of the concrete, will determine how flat a floor you get. These tests are usually done the day after finishing, so "curling" isn't taken into account.
Yep and now companies are sticking it into their Arch. Specs = trouble for us re: waranty work.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #8

Trade: General Contractor/Catastrophy Recovery/Insurance Reconstruction and Repair
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floordude View Post
All concrete is suppose to be within that spec. When it is out, that is when we get to charge out the butt, to bring it within tolerance, so our floor can be to spec.
I hate to bust your bubble, but not ALL CONCRETE is supposed to within any specific specifications. It all depends on what the intended use of the slab will be for. Publix Supermarkets are considered "Super Flat" floors with a 1/8 inch tolerance within a 12 ft radius. Target Stores are at a tolerance of 1/2 inch per 12 ft. radius. While others are less stringent.

And Ff and Fl testing is not a "spec" it's a rule of measurement that dictates flatness and levelness of a slab. The "specs" are called out by the Arch/Eng firm responsible for the design process of the job.

However, poor concrete contractors need to be governed in some fashion and hence forth weeded out of the general populus of quality contractors that are out there performing and providing quality conscious products.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #9

Trade: Concrete Surface Preparation
Rewards Points: 10

BBATTELL is correct. It really depends on what the intended purpose for the slab is. Usually there will be an Fmin # that is in place to tell you what the absolute worst case scenario can be depending on the intended purpose. I would not recommend stretching a line of masonry twine with a line bubble to check for Ff / Fl #'s. This may get you the old spec of 1/8" in 10' but no way you will get FF / FL readings from that method. The dipstick by FACE is your best bet and from what I hear can be rented weekly or monthly.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator
Rewards Points: 500

Your right, I had residencial substrates on my mind, but didn't make it clear.
Anything designed and used as a floor substrate, has standards for flatness.
Architects, can alter it to tighter specs, but not the other way.

The majority of concrete contractors(here), don't even know standards exist. They just do what they learned, with a little trial & error with some hard knocks thrown in.

Advertisement