Analine Dye On Fir Floor.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Trade: Hardwood flooring
Rewards Points: 75

Analine Dye On Fir Floor.

I have a project in which we had to lace in some new red oak flooring to fill voids where walls were removed. They simply couldn't sand the whole thing so I spent waaaay too long finding a stain and blending with the existing oak. Well we did too good a job cause now they want me to stain their adjacent fir flooring to match/compliment a dark brown. I have now spent waaay to long doing samples on the fir to no avail. My sequence: sand to 100 grit, pop grain, sand to 120 screen, condition, wipe on, wipe off oil based stain. Way to much variation in color. I am now considering an analine dye, though I have no experience with it. I can read instructions and will obviously test, but I hope someone here can offer advice so that I may be able to cut my losses time wise. Thanks in advance for any input.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,280

Re: Analine Dye On Fir Floor.

never worked with it and have no idea what you are actually trying to accomplish..but if you want my advice..it is this.

stop trying to be a miracle worker..it is 2 different species with 2 very different characteristics...they will Never be the same.

now since in your post you said the scary word "losses:..it suggests my advice is the best you will receive.

but one tip....if just need the stain to be dark....leave it set longer...or apply with lambswool, let stand..then go back and wipe off lightly to even..

allow to dry for at least 2 days before attempting any coats.
also 100 grit and 120 grit screening is way to fine for a fir ( any floor really for stain..)but fir especially..100 wont cut a fir..it will more like;ly just clog and streak the floor

finish 80grit and screen 80..or 100if you feel better..then try and stain..
the more open you leave the grain, the darker the stain will be.

Advertisement

www.flortechardwood.net
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

I appreciate the actual advice, though I don't know why it must come with condescension. I am not asking you to worry about my losses, just to share your experiences. The bottom line for me is to figure this out. The dollars and cents will follow. I have heard and seen that coarser sanding allows for darker stain, but I am not interested in having scratches all over the floor. Or the mottled look that course abraisives leave. I have some nice samples at the shop using a water soluble dye mixed into DNA and I think this will get it pretty dark. I can put the same dye into my Traffic topcoats if needed. Next stop Helen Keller's house. I'm gonna teach her to read.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Pro

what is it you are trying to accomplish?

so no grain shows?
1 even color?

an opaque type finish?...
www.flortechardwood.net
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

I want to see the grain and I would like a lot more uniformity of color than what I am getting from oil stain.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Pro

apply it with a lambswool...let set..then go back and wipe so its even....u can also try this and may suit you better with Zar stain..its gel..goes very far and when applied with an applicator, Im sure will give you the desired look..
however, the natural characteristics of Fir are certainly going to show....but if its old fir...it should take a dark stain nicely..
www.flortechardwood.net
Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #7

I looked into gel stains, but I couldn't really tell what the advantages were. Also, I was a little worried about how topcoats would be applied. I am really stoked about this alcohol dye mix I have going. Seems like I am making a shellac sealer with dye in it. Dries in like five seconds, hot coat with a tinted Traffic and it looks really good on samples. Hope it looks good on the floor. Thanks for the input, I will try to get some pics tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,338

You can't make fir into oak.

You're trying to perform champagne work for beer budget money.

These are two 'not smart' mistakes.

I never had a problem with the first one but definitely struggled with the latter. The solution is to grow a pair and call it like you see it. You'll be surprised how much money people will come up with when you just give it to them straight ie "I'm sorry but that floor will never look like the other floor. I can rip it out and lay new one and it will match almost perfectly." A smart man never says perfect until the outcome deserves it.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
astor (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Pro

Im curious to see the result..

I suspect it may have complications not considered...

since you will be coating..i suspect mixture and application builds will effect desired outcome..

Just like if working with those Minwax "Polyshades"....
hard to get them even on a floor and therefore not recommended for it..
www.flortechardwood.net
The Following User Says Thank You to jamestrd For This Useful Post:
astor (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: FI
Rewards Points: 704

It may work and look good over a small piece, but for a large area..mmm.?
Gel stains(I like from Benjamin Moore) are good for cabinets,handrails,pickets if you are trying to get a darker color than original without sanding to bare. Need more drying time and a lot of elbow grease.
I am very much interested to see the end results...hopefully it will show up here..

Advertisement